IGNORED

Reading (Merged)

Lanterne Rouge

2 hours ago, View from the Dolman said:

Seen a few Reading fans mentioning them having multiple injuries. Obviously that's lies, it's only us who have a bundle of injuries because of [insert wild conspiracy theory here].

Looking quickly, Liam Moore and Meite out, but that’s it from the side that has been winning.

9 hours ago, View from the Dolman said:

Seen a few Reading fans mentioning them having multiple injuries. Obviously that's lies, it's only us who have a bundle of injuries because of [insert wild conspiracy theory here].

Apparently the way to deal with anything that's going against you is to stop counting... :)

Didn’t see the goals, but tuned in for a look at the second half and Stoke look very comfortable. Just keeping a solid defensive shape and apparently finding it easy to defend against Reading, who’ve had plenty of the ball but not done a great deal with it. Certainly don’t look a top of the table side on this evidence.

6 minutes ago, CliftonCliff said:

Didn’t see the goals, but tuned in for a look at the second half and Stoke City look very comfortable. Just keeping a solid defensive shape and apparently finding it easy to defend against Reading Cardiff, who’ve had plenty of the ball but not done a great deal with it. 

You’ve cut and pasted comments about our performance last night, haven’t you?

Goes to show what a tough league it is. Very competitive and cliches aside, anyone can beat anyone. 

International break probably come at the right time and we did really well to get a win. Hopefully after a couple of weeks off Diedhiou will be back and Williams + Walsh will be almost ready. 

Provided we get no additional injuries (or Covid+ tests!) our squad will be in a much stronger position than we are in now.

40 minutes ago, Moments of Pleasure said:

I'm not convinced Wycombe can beat Norwich. I'm not sure Derby can, either.

3 minutes ago, Alex_BCFC said:

Well I watched Wycombe deserve to beat Watford a few weeks ago so on their day I think they could.

However I do think Wycombe will go down.

I watched the Norwich game.  Wycombe should’ve been 2-0 up but they missed a pen.  Vrancic dived on the edge of the box in the last minute to buy a free-kick and curled it in to give them a 2-1 win.

• The title was changed to Reading (Merged)
1 hour ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Goes to show what a tough league it is. Very competitive and cliches aside, anyone can beat anyone. 

International break probably come at the right time and we did really well to get a win. Hopefully after a couple of weeks off Diedhiou will be back and Williams + Walsh will be almost ready. 

Provided we get no additional injuries (or Covid+ tests!) our squad will be in a much stronger position than we are in now.

My first thought when Fam tested positive was, who else is going to get it? Given only a few days ago he was playing vs Huddersfield....part of the celebrations/on the coach etc etc.

I wondered as well, purely speculatively, if that’s what’s put Bakinson out - unless there’s been news on him? Strange to miss two games for a migraine.

Thankfully we have the 2 weeks off so those who need to can isolate if it gets in the squad. 

3 losses on the bounce, interestingly.

They do have technical players but can often seem better without dominating the ball or even chances- ironically last two games they had quite a lot of ball, quite a lot of chances...and successive 3-0 home losses to teams who in turn eschew the ball! Strange one, think they have quite a lot of good individuals but not necessarily an excellent side.

Think they had more possession at Coventry, though that game was more evenly balanced and Coventry had more chances.

Worth looking at some of the underlying in their 1st 8 games though- Bear in mind, ZERO own goals for or against.

@sticks 1969 you might be interested in the below and the above bit about zero own goals to skew figures.

Derby (A) 2-0- 8 shots for, 3 on target. 42.1% possession, 9 shots conceded, 2 on target conceded.

Barnsley (H) 2-0- 6 shots for, 5 on target. 58% possession, 9 shots conceded, 2 on target conceded- BUT Barnsley had TWO red cards, one of which was notably harsh and had dominated all aspects at 11 v 11. 1st red card was approaching HT. Reading only got their 2nd when Barnsley went down to 9!

Cardiff (A) 2-1- 6 shots for, 5 on target. 47.5% possession, 12 shots conceded, 5 on target conceded.

Watford (H) 1-0- 9 shots for, 4 on target. 44.3% possession, 11 shots conceded, 2 on target conceded.

Middlesbrough (A) 0-0- 10 shots for, 1 on target. 62.8% possession, 8 shots conceded, 0 on target conceded.

Wycombe (H) 1-0- 5 shots for, 1 on target- 65.8% possession. 10 shots conceded, 3 on target conceded.

Rotherham (H) 3-0- 7 shots for, 6 on target. 36.8% possession. 10 shots conceded, 2 on target conceded. I remember seeing it in real time on SSN, their opener was CLEARLY offside and they got a penalty in stoppage time- 3-0 lopsided and misleading.

Blackburn (A) 4-2- 5 shots for, 4 on target. 34.4% possession. 13 shots conceded, 6 on target conceded.

This to me, while not the basis of a bad side, does not scream even top 6 contenders- which in another way is curious, because like I said before think there are quite a few good individuals there. In fact, it reminds me a bit of times last season when WE were riding our luck a bit under LJ, in terms of underlying data being inferior one way or another.

Potted version of above stats. No own goals to skew it, 15 goals for, 3 against- from 56 shots, and 29 on target. Not forgetting that one of which was well offside, opener v Rotherham and 2 red cards for Barnsley on Matchday 2.

Whereas just the 3 goals conceded from 82 shots- not even factoring in the 2 red cards game- and allowing 22 on target yet just 3 goals.

Possession isn't so important and tbh they scored better on this but not always.

Archived