IGNORED

Sir Geoff Hurst and my Mum

Marina's Rolls Royce

Personally, I think this merits a closer look.  If football decides to change things, then that's fine by me.  It's their quality of life that's at stake not mine, so who am I to tell them what to do because I think it might affect my entertainment.

All the best for your mum.  Mine too suffered from dementia and it's a terrible disease.  Feels like you lose them a little each day.  There's still plenty to enjoy in the time you have too though, so celebrate all the moments you have with her.  

11 hours ago, swanker said:

So heading a football gives you dementia? 

Just watched the documentary about Roberto Duran. That was one tuff bloke and did you know he went the full distance with “Marvellous Marvin Hagler” He hasn’t got dementia! He ought to donate his brain to science to find out why not?

Any boxing fan knows that,I have a Aunt who has dementia and she’s never been smacked round the head,it’s just a cruel act of fate and that’s it  

On 20/11/2020 at 06:48, swanker said:

So heading a football gives you dementia? 

Just watched the documentary about Roberto Duran. That was one tuff bloke and did you know he went the full distance with “Marvellous Marvin Hagler” He hasn’t got dementia! He ought to donate his brain to science to find out why not?

So, because Roberto Duran doesn’t have dementia that proves that there is no connection between being punched in the head and dementia?  I had a friend who died of lung cancer, even though he never smoked in his life - there you go, that disproves the link between smoking and lung cancer!

Everyone is different, and things affect people differently.  If science shows that there is a link between repetitive heading of a football and dementia in later life then that’s good enough to justify taking precautions to reduce the risk of footballers developing dementia.

42 minutes ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

So, because Roberto Duran doesn’t have dementia that proves that there is no connection between being punched in the head and dementia?  I had a friend who died of lung cancer, even though he never smoked in his life - there you go, that disproves the link between smoking and lung cancer!

Everyone is different, and things affect people differently.  If science shows that there is a link between repetitive heading of a football and dementia in later life then that’s good enough to justify taking precautions to reduce the risk of footballers developing dementia.

I’d rather head a football a few times than get punched by Marvin Hagler for 15 rounds! 

If I were a footballer I’d also be worried about other health issues that will obviously follow in later life. Have you seen how some of them go down in agony when challenged in the box these days. That Mo Salah will be lucky if he’s able to walk when he finishes playing!

For me, it comes down to knowing and understanding risk.

Mountain climbers can and do fall off mountains but mountain climbers choose to climb mountains knowing they may fall. Boxers knows they might get brain damage, drinkers know they might get heart disease and smokers know they might get cancer.

With football, we don't know a lot about the long term consequences of heading a ball.

I don't think it should be banned but I do think it is a positive thing if more research is done so people know and understand the risk of whatever activity they are doing so they can make a decision to do - or not do - whatever it is with a full understanding of the risk they are taking. I don't think there is anything at all snowflake-y about that. 

On 19/11/2020 at 16:03, REDOXO said:

Heading the laces hurt!

Wet match day balls were an issue right up until the late 60s as they were not plastic coated and we played on grassless mud patches at pretty much all levels. 

The baseball ground and Stamford Bridge were two at top level that were simply awful, however if you were playing at pub level it was worse.

You’re right - it is......

4601453.jpg?display=1&htype=0&type=respo

On 18/11/2020 at 23:43, Henry said:

Well, going by the title, I was expected a very different topic!

best wishes to your mum, it’s a horrible illness to live with.

I thought the same Henry!

My sympathy and best wishes @Marina's Rolls Royce, as I saw my Mum in Law suffer with dementia in her last years and from seeing how it affected Mrs Downend feel that its impact can seem worse for the family than the sufferer.

Without making light of a tragic situation, I did wonder if Sir Geoff’s marriage was a bit rocky and he was then discovered having a “fling” with another woman, causing his wife to leave him, would his friends say, “ they think it’s all over - it is now” ?

Archived