IGNORED

How the elite like to moan...Solskjaer and Klopp- in Solskjaer case "Set up to fail"

Mr Popodopolous

Do quite like Klopp so this came as a bit of a surprise- and this in addition to the comments by Solskjaer a coiple of weeks ago.

Klopp on fixtures and congestion:

"Why we change late is because we constantly have to think that somebody will go down with an injury. We cannot change early, because we change early and the other one has an injury, and you end the game with nine players," Klopp said.

"It's about all the players, it's about the England players, it's about all the players who will play the European Championship next summer - if you (Sky) don't start talking to BT, we're done."

The 53-year-old German believes that the scheduling of Champions League matches, which are broadcast by BT, and the Premier League, which is broadcast by Sky and BT, is putting a strain on players and causing injuries.

"If we keep playing Wednesday and Saturday at 1230, I'm not sure if you'll finish the season with 11 players. All the top six are the same, but I know you (the broadcasters) don't care, and that's the problem," Klopp told Sky.

Already missing a slew of players to injury, including influential centre backs Virgil van Dijk and Joe Gomez and midfielders Jordan Henderson and Thiago Alcantara, Klopp suffered another blow when Naby Keita had to be replaced in the 53rd minute against Leicester.

"People tell us we can rotate - who? We have offensive players, the rest are kids. That's how it is. It's all OK, we fight with what we have, but if you (broadcasters) do not start talking, you will see what happens," he said.

"We cannot change 10, 11 positions, that's not possible. We can't only show up, we have to win the football games."

Klopp said that the pandemic had forced football into making many changes over the last few months and dismissed suggestions that it would be difficult to adjust the schedule to give squads more time to recuperate.

"It's really difficult for the players, that's what is difficult - the rest is just a decision on a desk in an office," he said.

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/liverpool/fixtures-klopp-sky-sports-bt-schedule-b1760199.html

Not claiming there isn't a fair point in parts but, err, get used to it! About to cite some comparisons. All those millons btw, deep, deep squads full of internationals and young rising stars.

Solskjaer rant was even more spectacular!

The 47-year-old Norwegian was furious with how soon United returned to action after their Champions League defeat and called it "absolute shambles."

Solskjaer told BT Sport: "We were set up to fail. The kick-off time set us up to fail.

"We have been to Turkey, played loads of games this season already, we got back Thursday morning and we are playing Saturday lunchtime, it's an absolute shambles.

"These boys deserve better. Luke Shaw has got injured because of it. It's a hamstring, which might be a long one and Marcus Rashford might be struggling.

"The authorities set us up for fail, who is responsible? We've had enough of that. Players this season, in these times, a pandemic, mentally and physically it's draining.

"Let us play on a Sunday, there's an international break after this, it's a joke. The players were brilliant. Cavani is getting better and better."

https://www.sportbible.com/football/news-reactions-ole-gunnar-solskjaer-claims-manchester-united-were-set-up-to-fail-20201107

Now.

What were the offending schedules- though having a lot more internationals is a double-edged sword as it means many players will be away.

Man United.

1st November- Arsenal Home

4th November- Istanbul BB away

7th November- Everton Away- 12.30pm kickoff.

Hardly unique to these clubs though. We had something VERY similar.

24th October- Swansea Home

28th October- Bournemouth Away

31st October- Norwich Home- 12.30pm kickoff.

In fact ours was worse in a sense as we then had Huddersfield away on a Tuesday night and Cardiff away on a Friday at I think a 6pm kickoff- where was our moaning, saying set up to fail?? Championship is more congested than the PL anyway. They had Leipzig on 28th October and Chelsea 24th October- both at Home.

Liverpool and their cause for complaint- or lack of?

Post International break.

22nd November- Leicester Home, albeit the evening kickoff.

25th November- Atalanta Home.

28th November- Brighton Away, albeit 12.30pm kickoff.

Yet ours is quite comparable.

21st November- Derby Home

25th November- Watford Home

28th November- Reading Away- 12.30pm kickoff.

It's a uniquely intense schedule, season- you have squads worth hundreds of millions of pounds, full of depth and internationals- quit moaning!! Championship has 20% more games and in a sense, every game is a battle. It's just how it is, has to be- look at the midweek in the Championship Klopp and co! :grr:

Yes they have injuries, and in Liverpools case with VVD, one of their biggest players was injured because of a bad challenge with Pickford. That was nothing to do with scheduling.... He's down to the bare bones in his squad, but wasn't it last year that everyone was glowing about the strength in depth they had, as well as how good the young kids were that were coming through? 

As for Solskjaer, he's completely out of his depth and how he hasn't been sacked before now god only knows. Again, when results are going his way and the kids are playing well everything is rosey. Few bad results and/or performances and it's time for another excuse.

They were 2 of the clubs that were pushing for the season to get restarted during the initial lock downs, now suddenly they want longer between games? Sorry but you've kind of brought this on yourselves, because the new season has to be finished at some point!!

3 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Now.

What were the offending schedules- though having a lot more internationals is a double-edged sword as it means many players will be away.

Man United.

Hardly unique to these clubs though. We had something VERY similar.

In fact ours was worse in a sense as we then had Huddersfield away on a Tuesday night and Cardiff away on a Friday at I think a 6pm kickoff- where was our moaning, saying set up to fail?? Championship is more congested than the PL anyway. They had Leipzig on 28th October and Chelsea 24th October- both at Home.

Liverpool and their cause for complaint- or lack of?

Post International break.

Yet ours is quite comparable.

It's a uniquely intense schedule, season- you have squads worth hundreds of millions of pounds, full of depth and internationals- quit moaning!! Championship has 20% more games and in a sense, every game is a battle. It's just how it is, has to be- look at the midweek in the Championship Klopp and co! :grr:

To be fair you can’t really compare ours to when the European game is away, home yes but flying back from Europe and getting in at 4am damages recovery time if you’re playing Wednesday night then midday Saturday. To take point I agree they’ve got a point, if you’re playing away Wednesday in the champions league it wouldn’t be hard to schedule the team to play Sunday/Monday to allow player recovery. 

16 minutes ago, Midred said:

Can't recall Bob Paisley constantly moaning back in the 70's and 80's when Liverpool still had 42 games to play in the league plus domestic and European competitions. 

I'm certain also that the squad would have been smaller.

Football’s physical requirements are tougher now, bodies pushed to the max physically through sports science  and closer to a breaking point 

4 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Do quite like Klopp so this came as a bit of a surprise- and this in addition to the comments by Solskjaer a coiple of weeks ago.

Klopp on fixtures and congestion:

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/liverpool/fixtures-klopp-sky-sports-bt-schedule-b1760199.html

Not claiming there isn't a fair point in parts but, err, get used to it! About to cite some comparisons. All those millons btw, deep, deep squads full of internationals and young rising stars.

Solskjaer rant was even more spectacular!

https://www.sportbible.com/football/news-reactions-ole-gunnar-solskjaer-claims-manchester-united-were-set-up-to-fail-20201107

I don't know why it surprises you, he moans every year about something. 

Him and Guardiola have been non stop since being in the Prem.

Get rid of the Carabao Cup

Let our youngsters play in the league

Scrap FA cup replays

Bring in a winter break

And now we have the '5 subs is a must'

Never once do they moan to UEFA about the CL being far too many games, 6 group games & replays in every round is fine as long as you're making the money to go with it!

You have huge squads, how about you rotate a little bit more instead!

I can't stand them both. Excellent managers but don't stop moaning season after season. 

24 minutes ago, Midred said:

Can't recall Bob Paisley constantly moaning back in the 70's and 80's when Liverpool still had 42 games to play in the league plus domestic and European competitions. 

I'm certain also that the squad would have been smaller.

And remember the energy sapping pitches they played on as well. 

1 hour ago, Lrrr said:

To be fair you can’t really compare ours to when the European game is away, home yes but flying back from Europe and getting in at 4am damages recovery time if you’re playing Wednesday night then midday Saturday. To take point I agree they’ve got a point, if you’re playing away Wednesday in the champions league it wouldn’t be hard to schedule the team to play Sunday/Monday to allow player recovery. 

They can’t really play Sunday/Monday for European games due to the schedule are every midweek. Saturday is best day to play for them. At the moment due to the Euros being moved schedule is to tight. Next 2 seasons are going to be tight as well due to the World Cup in Qatar being November December 2022 so games are going to be squeezed to get them all in if there is to be a pre season.

Sensible thing would of been to have played Euro games during international breaks so there was a gap end of season.

The schedule for City will be no different Huddersfield away what time would the players of got home and then had to play Friday at Cardiff.

27 minutes ago, 2015 said:

Whinge whinge whinge that's all I see from Klopp nowadays. You Won the League, and probably best side in the Country and all he does is moan moan moan. SHUT UP

He’s right tho.............:cool2:

Fixture congestion isn’t just the PL, it’s the Championship as well. City have 9 games in 29 days and have added difficulties such as covid infections closing Failand down and injuries to senior players. Thankfully no European games to fit in.

Klopp is complaining about TV dictating the fixture times but that’s the price of having BT and Sky holding the rights and ploughing in millions for them and the PL clubs benefit hugely.

Take City - on Sky twice this week and Deano has moaned about the short recovery times between last night and Saturday at midday at Reading.

That said, it is what it is and complaining about it won’t make the slightest difference.

33 minutes ago, 2015 said:

Whinge whinge whinge that's all I see from Klopp nowadays. You Won the League, and probably best side in the Country and all he does is moan moan moan. SHUT UP

Despite his friendly and amicable demeanor - the guy is a serial winner who will demand every possible advantage he can get. I have no doubt that whilst he comes across as a nice guy and an approachable manager, he is just as demanding and tough as the rest of them. 

55 minutes ago, exAtyeoMax said:

I do agree to some extent when he was moaning about having to move games to accommodate TV audiences. The health and well being of players is paramount above the likes of SKY and TV deals. :protest:

They could always refuse the money that pays those players though?

That's a bit flippant though as actually I think the concern about players this season is really valid. It's a lot of games, and dont forget how many international breaks we've had and 3 games per break instead of 2?

I think it's right that a lot of the Championship clubs will have similar concerns considering the number of international players now playing at that level

2 hours ago, MarcusX said:

They could always refuse the money that pays those players though?

That's a bit flippant though as actually I think the concern about players this season is really valid. It's a lot of games, and dont forget how many international breaks we've had and 3 games per break instead of 2?

I think it's right that a lot of the Championship clubs will have similar concerns considering the number of international players now playing at that level

They've created their own monster. I don't really think their owners/investors really considered the well-being of players or fans etc., when they sold their soul for TV money.

3 hours ago, exAtyeoMax said:

I do agree to some extent when he was moaning about having to move games to accommodate TV audiences. The health and well being of players is paramount above the likes of SKY and TV deals. :protest:

But , Max - if it wasn’t for the Sky and TV deals he wouldn’t have the players he has and he and the players wouldn’t be earning the extravagant money they do

Lets see if they cut down on trips to the Far East pre seasons 

If you don’t like it .......’ 

* When we talk about welfare of players - they are not going to keel over and pop their mortal coil are they - a tweaked hamstring or quad at worst 

Millions in this country go to work in far more demanding and many , dangerous jobs

Stuff em

40 minutes ago, Sheltons Army said:

But , Max - if it wasn’t for the Sky and TV deals he wouldn’t have the players he has and he and the players wouldn’t be earning the extravagant money they do

* When we talk about welfare of players - they are not going to keel over and pop their mortal coil are they - a tweaked hamstring or quad at worst 

Millions in this country go to work in far more demanding and many , dangerous jobs

Stuff em

Agreed he can’t bite the hands that feed. 

7 hours ago, Lrrr said:

Huddersfield away. Presumably back by coach, Tuesday 7.45pm kickoff. 

Onwards to Cardiff, 6pm on a Friday. I get Istanbul back to Manchester is long but the size and depth of their squad...

Christmas fixtures look like chaos, Wolves for example have Tottenham at home on Sunday 27th 19:15 kick off (late end, so post game recovery etc) and then have Man Utd away on Tuesday 29th 20:00 kick off. So less than 48 hours after the previous game finishes.

7 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Onwards to Cardiff, 6pm on a Friday. I get Istanbul back to Manchester is long but the size and depth of their squad...

Good point

Flight time 4h 20m , in a Private Plane with room to lay out and sleep 

(Estimated Road travel time Huddersfield > Bristol 3hrs 20m)

**** Em 

3 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Try using squad as a reason to Holden whose barely rotated all season, tell Dean that because TV dictates Hunt/A centre back won't recover in time and therefore he HAS to play Opi Edwards and Ryley Towler and see how happy he is. All the point I made is that the fixtures were out well before Sky chose which games were on tv following European games, just look at the fixtures and say the teams who play in the champions league on Tuesday are involved with the early kick off on a Saturday or a team who wasn't in a european fixture.

1 minute ago, Sheltons Army said:

Good point

Flight time 4h 20m , in a Private Plane with room to lay out and sleep 

(Estimated Road travel time Huddersfield > Bristol 3hrs 20m)

Time to travel to the airport involved with that, express check in etc, loading the plane, prep before take off etc, disembarking from plane. Wouldn't be surprised if they then needed a coach back to the training ground to get back to their cars before going home. That 4h 20m suddenly becomes a good bit longer then a coach journey back. Some trips we've flown from the north to save travel time.

Spurs' solution is an interesting one in building their accommodation pod at their training ground where each player has a bed should they need it after getting back late from a European game etc, can go straight to bed and wake up that bit later as they're on site and get more sleep aiding recovery.

Just now, Lrrr said:

Time to travel to the airport involved with that, express check in etc, loading the plane, prep before take off etc, disembarking from plane. Wouldn't be surprised if they then needed a coach back to the training ground to get back to their cars before going home. That 4h 20m suddenly becomes a good bit longer then a coach journey back. Some trips we've flown from the north to save travel time.

Spurs' solution is an interesting one in building their accommodation pod at their training ground where each player has a bed should they need it after getting back late from a European game etc, can go straight to bed and wake up that bit later as they're on site and get more sleep aiding recovery.

Yes that’s fair , but they won’t be much delay or prep for them using Private Planes

As regards the accommodation at the training ground , a few Clubs have that facility I understand - amazed more don’t , common in Italy and in South America where young pros tend to live in accommodation at the training grounds 

3 hours ago, Sheltons Army said:

Stuff em

There are plenty of people concerned/complaining about player injuries and how it might effect the promotion bid with regards to City. We are specifically talking about football, it's not unreasonable to be concerned about players' welfare and the possibilities of long-term injuries. 

Just now, exAtyeoMax said:

There are plenty of people concerned/complaining about player injuries and how it might effect the promotion bid with regards to City. We are specifically talking about football, it's not unreasonable to be concerned about players' welfare and the possibilities of long-term injuries. 

Sure

Apologies if it came across as having dig at you / you’re points 

I wasn’t x

Just fed up with the whinging from within the game (Particularly the Premier League darlings)

(Dean Holdens attitude , ‘it is what it is , we get on with it ‘.  is FANTASTIC)

Injuries are part of the game , possibly moreso in the current situation than normal, but my point is no ones ‘welfare’ is in danger to any significant degree and all sides are in the same boat , some will have more luck / bad luck than others, the same as every season)

As a Club we’ve suffered as badly as anyone but to be fair to fans on here and the Club itself I havnt heard it used as an excuse for any poor result, not once 

Archived