IGNORED

What's Massengo good at?

INB Red

He looks very un confident. In the very small cameo yesterday he lost the ball a couple of times, missed a fairly simple tackle and turned on the ball everytime.

He loves to try and draw a foul in everytime he moves forward. DHe desperatley needs a loan move to progress ready for championship football.

Personally I think he will go in the summer. 

On 28/11/2020 at 23:37, Bobbie said:

Opi Edwards is 2 years older. Gives a sense of perspective. He’s doing really well for his age and will have a great career

Really?

42 games in 3 years and only 1 in anything higher than the National League. I would love him to have a long and successful career, but it's been very slow starting if he's going to come good at City's level. He is no comparison or benchmark for HNM.

49 minutes ago, Dullmoan Tone said:

Really?

42 games in 3 years and only 1 in anything higher than the National League. I would love him to have a long and successful career, but it's been very slow starting if he's going to come good at City's level. He is no comparison or benchmark for HNM.

I was referring to HNM who I think will have a great career. Jury is still out with Opi 

If he is good enough to make the French national teams at junior level. I would suggest our coaching/management should be speaking to their coach's, and make sure we are getting the best out of him. Not trying to make him into a player to fit into our system. If that means he is not the right player for us . I hope hope we could loan him out to the right club in England or France, or sell him. But most of all he must be given a chance to  make a success of his career. I wish all the very best.

How can you start a thread asking what he's good at based on c5 minutes in how long? 

Surely you have some idea if his potential based on his overall time with us? He was immense when he first joined. For his age and time in this country and League he showed such maturity, skill and energy and was easily our best midfield player. So there are just some quick examples of what he's good at.

Looks like a kid a long way from home, with a boss that doesn't rate him, playing in a league that he is not equipped for.

I can imagine this is pretty miserable

This move came too early in his career. Under 21's will not develop him.

Best thing would be a loan back to French football where he can either work towards being a Championship player or play well enough to be sold for what we paid.

I don't like how people are all of a sudden saying he's a poor player.

This kid was great for us the first half of last season, and many were suggesting in December 19 that we could get fees as high as £30m for him if he continued to play the way he had been! His performances dropped in standard the second half of the season and I think losing Brownhill in January meant Massengo was expected to do a slightly different role to before. 

Secret Scout article from last year.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-7811561/THE-SECRET-SCOUT-Han-Noah-Massengo-vital-cog-Bristol-Citys-formation.html

I’ll call it now. Massengo won’t ever play in the champions league again Or reach the potential many thought he had. Coming to this club, his career has only gone backwards. Seeing his brief cameo the other day, he was a shell of what he had been even under LJ.

i can’t see how he is going to progress with us given the other players that are to come back.

feel very sorry for him as it all looked so promising. Needs a loan away and regular football for sure but I can no longer see any club wanting to buy him off us based on his qualities let alone potential given we’re not even allowing his potential to develop into something more.

@BOSRed Whilst I agree that Massengo was appalling on Saturday in those 8 minutes, just a little perspective on his career going backwards...

On 7th March he played 90 minutes in the credible 1-1 draw with Fulham, a game which showed evidence of Johnson getting a tune out of our team again (at last). Then...

March - Covid

April - Covid

May - Covid

June 20th - with added bulk, Massengo is played in the defensive role and is too wild in the challenge and is subbed at HT.

June 28th - hes one of three players to be subbed early in a failed attempt to change the game.

So 101 minutes in June.

July - 0 minutes

August - off season

September - MotM candidate v Exeter, poor 56 minutes v Coventry.

So 140 minutes football in September. 

October- 0 minutes 

November - 8 minutes.

In total 249 minutes in 9 months. Not another to improve your craft.

Now, you could argue that he was already declining prior to the Fulham game (most of our players were!), or that he's played so few minutes due to the fact that he hasn't impressed the coaches.

It'll be interesting to see if Walsh and Williams are able to get back into form in their first few games after such a long lay-off.

Another intriguing point, will Bakinson - this season's Massengo- be able to continue his early form, or will he too lose the love of the fans? 

Funny old game.

4 hours ago, Dullmoan Tone said:

Really?

Judging by our record of handling midfielders in the last 4 seasons and the general lack of progression from the u23’s who knows? Aside from Korey the midfield has not been an entity at all!

8 minutes ago, Oh Louie louie said:

When he, goes which is only a matter of a time, always the case when a boss doesnt fancy you, reguardless of age or ability.

Lets see the fee then.

So the experts think hes worth 30 million.

Il go no more than 2.

Il be happy to eat humble pie on this.

It was on this forum in December last year. Nobody is suggesting that now. 

I reckon we'll definitely get our money back & more on the £2.7m we paid for him. I think there is a great player there & just needs a bit of confidence back in his game. 

Far too early into his career to write him off like some are doing.

2 minutes ago, Oh Louie louie said:

The ones seeing the facts are in the real world.

The ones expecting a 26 million profit or whatever, are on another planet.

As I said, I don't think anyone believes that now. 

At the time he was a few months in to a 4 year deal & it would've took silly money for us to let him go. Much like it did to let Adam Webster go. 

Whilst I still think the £30m shouts back then were a little OTT, I think £15m-20m was the figure I had in mind when he was playing so well at the age of 18. 

11 minutes ago, Oh Louie louie said:

The ones seeing the facts are in the real world.

The ones expecting a 26 million profit or whatever, are on another planet.

Yeah the same planet as the people that thought Bobby Reid was worth **** all and we then go on to sell him for £10 mill.. I don’t know how long you have been a City fan or just followed football in general but surely its long enough to know not to write players off especially one who is only 19? It’s naive at best..

Bris red, carey says he thinks he was worth 15 million a year ago.

Others 30 million.

Its fairly obvious to me that if hes done so well he like they claim, he will get a groundbreaking contract soon.

Or we can get a bid in the region of 15 to 30 million soon.

Both not going to happen.

Infact, if his time heres been such a sucess, why dont we go 50 million?

15 minutes ago, Oh Louie louie said:

Others 30 million.

Its fairly obvious to me that if hes done so well he like they claim, he will get a groundbreaking contract soon.

He probably would of been worth not far off that much a year ago to be fair. An 18 year old (at the time) playing fairly regularly and performing well at Championship level its not beyond the realms of possibility that a club would have taken a punt on him at £10 million an over. 
I’m not sure anyone is saying right now we could get that sort of dough for him as he hasn’t perhaps kicked on in the way we thought he would but I certainly wouldn’t write him off.

2 hours ago, Oh Louie louie said:

Others 30 million.

The rationale was that if Lloyd Kelly was worth £13m, and Adam Webster was worth £22m, then a lad barely 18 and already looking silky in a Championship midfield, would be worth more than them.

There's nothing particularly strange about that rationale.

Archived