IGNORED

Zak Vyner steps up for our first goal.

Prinny

Zak Vyner stepping up into space, is a consistent weapon for us.

Despite the formation and problems of the first half, him stepping up forced our players into their effective areas, Martin closer to goal, O'Dowda using his athleticism, Wells in the box.

Result, success, goal.

• Admin
2 hours ago, Prinny said:

Zak Vyner stepping up into space, is a consistent weapon for us.

Despite the formation and problems of the first half, him stepping up forced our players into their effective areas, Martin closer to goal, O'Dowda using his athleticism, Wells in the box.

Result, success, goal.

Definitely following in the way Webster used to bring the ball out from defence. 

Vyner’s development has been a big plus point so far this year, but not for the first time this season he lost his man at another corner today and it cost us a goal.

I’m not making him a scapegoat, the team performance was another poor one and Bentley will be disappointed not to have saved it. But Vyner needs to switch on at set pieces or Holden needs to take him off marking the main aerial threat. It’s another basic error.

Just now, tin said:

Vyner’s development has been a big plus point so far this year, but not for the first time this season he lost his man at another set piece today and it cost us a goal.

I’m not making him a scapegoat, the performance was another poor one and Bentley will be disappointed not to have saved it. But Vyner needs to switch on at set pieces or Holden needs to take him off marking the main aerial threat. It’s another basic error.

Haven’t seen the highlights, but did he lose his man, or get under the flight of the ball?  It doesn’t matter per se, but it just looked like Dean got up better?  As I say not seen it back, was just my first impression at the time.

Just now, Davefevs said:

Haven’t seen the highlights, but did he lose his man, or get under the flight of the ball?  It doesn’t matter per se, but it just looked like Dean got up better?  As I say not seen it back, was just my first impression at the time.

Ball watching again and got caught under it. Should not be making those errors.

3 minutes ago, tin said:

Vyner’s development has been a big plus point so far this year, but not for the first time this season he lost his man at another corner today and it cost us a goal.

I’m not making him a scapegoat, the performance was another poor one and Bentley will be disappointed not to have saved it. But Vyner needs to switch on at set pieces or Holden needs to take him off marking the main aerial threat. It’s another basic error.

cost us against Barnsley, Bournemouth and now today. Yes he has improved but he MUST cut out yhede mistakes 

7 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I think he’s been caught napping and allowed Dean to get the run on him. Point is, we know the aerial threat Dean possesses. So if Vyner’s been tasked with picking him up, he should get tighter. Whether he’s the right man to pick him up is another matter. 

https://www.skysports.com/bristol-city-videos

As I said, though, that doesn’t gloss over another piss-poor performance from the team. 

No idea if it’s relevant but it was two minutes after we subbed off Martin and Mariappa (for Diedhiou and Hunt).  It could be possible that the players swapped markers as a result.  Not making excuses, just wondering.  Was Dean previously being marked by Mariappa for example but with Hunt on, Vyner was then picking him up and not quite tuned in.

6 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

No idea if it’s relevant but it was two minutes after we subbed off Martin and Mariappa (for Diedhiou and Hunt).  It could be possible that the players swapped markers as a result.  Not making excuses, just wondering.  Was Dean previously being marked by Mariappa for example but with Hunt on, Vyner was then picking him up and not quite tuned in.

Good point, Fevs. But Fam’s an asset at defensive set pieces and it’s not hard to instruct him to pick up Harlee Dean. Had Moore been as flat-footed as Zac was today, plenty would be on his back.

I’m not getting on Zac’s back here, he’s young and developing at this level. But as @Bassomylord points out, that’s three goals in similar circumstances where his lack of aerial prowess has been exposed. 

2 minutes ago, tin said:

Good point, Fevs. But Fam’s an asset at defensive set pieces and it’s not hard to instruct him to pick up Harlee Dean. Had Moore been as flat-footed as Zac was today, plenty would be on his back.

I’m not getting on Zac’s back here, he’s young and developing at this level. But as @Bassomylord points out, that’s three goals in similar circumstances where his lack of aerial prowess has been exposed. 

Fam would’ve done Martin’s near post position, which he’s done very well, yet nobody gives Martin any credit for...yet Fam gets loads.

I was more talking that Hunt is less able aerially than Mariappa and maybe he swapped over with Vyner.  Of course Vyner might’ve had Dean all afternoon.  Will try and watch all Brum’s corners when they show up on Wyscout and see if there was a change as a result of the subs.

1 minute ago, Davefevs said:

Fam would’ve done Martin’s near post position, which he’s done very well, yet nobody gives Martin any credit for...yet Fam gets loads.

I was more talking that Hunt is less able aerially than Mariappa and maybe he swapped over with Vyner.  Of course Vyner might’ve had Dean all afternoon.  Will try and watch all Brum’s corners when they show up on Wyscout and see if there was a change as a result of the subs.

Another fair point about, Martin, although we’re not discussing him here. While it’ll be interesting to see what shows up on Wyscout, the fact is we’ve conceded three goals so far this term due to Vyner’s ball watching. Must do better. 

Just now, tin said:

Another fair point about, Martin, although we’re not discussing him here. While it’ll be interesting to see what shows up on Wyscout, the fact is we’ve conceded three goals so far this term due to Vyner’s ball watching. Must do better. 

Totally agree....needs to improve most definitely.

On 05/12/2020 at 21:25, Bassomylord said:

cost us against Barnsley, Bournemouth and now today. Yes he has improved but he MUST cut out yhede mistakes 

Make that four goals conceded due to Vyner's tendency to switch off or get outmuscled. That second goal at Rotherham could easily have been avoided, this time from open play. Far too soft. 

Archived