IGNORED

Is the table taking shape?

Silvio Dante

Today marked the 1/3 point of the season - and albeit with some teams to play tomorrow, the table now makes interesting reading.

There are a group of 7, us included, split by 2 points. Whatever happens tomorrow, that group can’t be breached. The names up there are as expected with the exception of Reading and maybe us (although externally people may have seen us in or around the playoffs until late and not be shocked)

16-24th are averaging at best 1.2 PPG which over a season is relegation form. The names down there, with the exception of Derby/Forest are the ones you’d expect - and this season, more than any other, the fatigue factor means it’s harder to see a side putting a run that takes them from bottom to top.

So, it looks like there is enough of the season gone to make a broad judgement (I know, the table doesn’t lie after 46 games), and with small exceptions, the nature of the teams in the sections seems to make sense.

So, is this now taking shape?

6780C1DD-C9AC-4231-9F1C-205ADB46E648.jpeg

F9DC6252-6B0A-4C44-89E9-FC3B26997922.jpeg

Think we’re in a false position however we keep grinding out wins. If we keep this up then who knows what will happen come the end of the season.

We just desperately need the players back from injury

Baker and Mawson on their day are probs up there with the best championship centre halves

Williams and Walsh have abit to prove however from last season it seems they’re solid signings

Just some good attacking option in the jan transfer window and who knows

25 minutes ago, Finley_Smith10 said:

Think we’re in a false position however we keep grinding out wins. If we keep this up then who knows what will happen come the end of the season.

We just desperately need the players back from injury

Baker and Mawson on their day are probs up there with the best championship centre halves

Williams and Walsh have abit to prove however from last season it seems they’re solid signings

Just some good attacking option in the jan transfer window and who knows

If we can get our our pts per hame average to over 2 then we won't be far away plus results against teams around us then we wont be far away.

Not sure you can read too much into the table at present given that there is only 7 pts from 1st to 10th, plus the seemingly never ending cycle of 2 games a week

Well we look currently to be a top 7 team and I guess 6/7th looks about right for us, which is hovering around our season target.

Got to say though, we could easily snatch 2 wins in the next week and be flying high, or 2 quick losses and we're losing touch with 6th. That's why it's so compelling.

At the start of the season, I predicted that Brentford would go up as Champions. They are now starting to get some form, 

I think come April 2021, we will still be battling with another 5 or so other clubs to get into the 5th or 6th play off positions, 

I hope I am wrong and we finish comfortably higher.  

• Admin
1 hour ago, Maesknoll Red said:

Our goal difference could do with improving, apart from that, it’s hard to complain about the league position.

It's funny, in nearly every season in recent times our goal difference is always very poor (unless my memory is wrong)

Hate to be a doom merchant, but we've been in a similar position to this many times recently, and we know how that always finished 

6 minutes ago, phantom said:

It's funny, in nearly every season in recent times our goal difference is always very poor (unless my memory is wrong)

Hate to be a doom merchant, but we've been in a similar position to this many times recently, and we know how that always finished 

Said with the acquired pessimism of a true red. Expecting little and probably not even getting that!

It’s possible to say on a points basis that there are currently 3 groupings.  Top 7 - Middle 11 - Bottom 6. Distribution of most leagues seems to reflect those 3 groups in a statistically normal bell curve distribution with the middle group representing 2 quartiles / 12 teams versus 6 each in the outperforming and underperforming quartiles.

We are in the out performing quartile which is brilliant, but like all members of that group after only a third of the season, a draw instead of a win and we would be the 7th member of a “group of 6”, so the most likely to fall back into the pack. 

I don’t think we are in a false position as a member of the top 6/7 but it’s fine margins at the border of this group and the next. 

On one hand you can point to how hard we had to work to beat the teams in the bottom quartile- Derby, Forest, Coventry and how we have lost or drawn to/with teams in the top quartile. So it feels like we are playing cup finals to be where we are and we might drop points against mid table teams more readily than others in the top 7 and start to fade again.

On the other hand! - It’s hard to know the slings and arrows suffered by other clubs but we have had ours. Looking at the actual football, it’s clear we are learning, fighting and getting better. I’ve had Rene Gilmartin on my ear again today so I’m pumped. We are hard to beat, resilient and fearless. We have young players getting better and a huge amount of talent out of action, so even if we have fought our way to a slightly false position of top 6 rather than top 10, we have it done that and the fighting mentality is a factor. Thereafter we have it in front of us this season to do even better than we are doing.

Short version-   We deserve to be top 10 on quality and top 6 on fight. Add more quality with injured returnees and we can stay in the top 6 so not a false position. 

well deserved 

43 minutes ago, phantom said:

Even our playoff final season we had a minus GD didnt we?!

3 hours ago, phantom said:

Some of the underlying numbers are better- I also take some encouragement that if and when key players finally return- clearly some are out for the season but not all we hope, as and when they return this will strengthen us.

Difference is this year, the first half of the season is more condensed- if we can go into the 2nd half of the season in and around top 6, the scheduling looks more regular- it's been frontloaded a bit, throw in said returning players and there are differences.

I've crunched the numbers points wise and this is our joint best start to a season after 15 games at this level, in modern times- well say the turn of the century- alongside 2007/08 and 2017/18.

Think its to early to say. We are good but also haved luck. Yesterday we could have been two goals down in ht, but we didnt, 1-1. The table changes quickly as the game yesterday. Two or three losses and it looks different. The win yesterday was important in many ways. We dont play as a topteam but the points are coming in, that is a strenght. We have a good gk and defence that is the key for us to remain in the top six. With all our problems, injuries and Covid, we have made it very well so far. We have goalscorers and Semenyo and COD soon will find the net. At last COD showed how good he can be and in Nagy we have our best player. Its gonna be a fight in to the end, think we have same chance as other teams to be top six. COYR!!!

Our goal difference has been pretty poor the last few seasons. We really need one of our strikers to bang a few more in and score 20 odd goals this season.

IMHO The current top 2 will be the top 2 at the end, with Swansea, Brentford and Watford in the top 6. That leaves us fighting with Reading, Cardiff etc for the remaining place.

Hopefully the returning injured players will boost us after January, and we get Nahki or Semenyo flying

7 hours ago, Garland-sweden said:

Think its to early to say. We are good but also haved luck. Yesterday we could have been two goals down in ht, but we didnt, 1-1. The table changes quickly as the game yesterday. Two or three losses and it looks different. The win yesterday was important in many ways. We dont play as a topteam but the points are coming in, that is a strenght. We have a good gk and defence that is the key for us to remain in the top six. With all our problems, injuries and Covid, we have made it very well so far. We have goalscorers and Semenyo and COD soon will find the net. At last COD showed how good he can be and in Nagy we have our best player. Its gonna be a fight in to the end, think we have same chance as other teams to be top six. COYR!!!

You could argue we should’ve been 1-0 up from Nagy after 5 minutes.

@TonyTonyTony Wells now 5 goals in 892 minutes, 2 in 2.  Such a great poachers goal last night.  Hoe it’s the start of a run.

8 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Some of the underlying numbers are better- I also take some encouragement that if and when key players finally return- clearly some are out for the season but not all we hope, as and when they return this will strengthen us.

Difference is this year, the first half of the season is more condensed- if we can go into the 2nd half of the season in and around top 6, the scheduling looks more regular- it's been frontloaded a bit, throw in said returning players and there are differences.

I've crunched the numbers points wise and this is our joint best start to a season after 15 games at this level, in modern times- well say the turn of the century- alongside 2007/08 and 2017/18.

I noticed this looking at the fixtures the other day. Obviously we started about 4/5 weeks later than normal but all of the catching up is being done in the first few months, so by the start of January we're pretty much back on track in terms of games played and the second half of the season has a lot less midweek games (rearrangements for cups etc not withstanding).

11 hours ago, sticks 1969 said:

It’s going to be our year ..... 

We've looked pretty poor in more games than we've looked good this season, and the squad isn't really that inspiring (especially with all the injuries) BUT if we can keep grinding out results despite all that then maybe it will be our year.  :noexp:

Last time we were in the play offs, we didn't have a thrilling squad and just edged lots of games, but the table didn't lie and there we were after 46 games.

Archived