IGNORED

“We’re a young group”

Harry

We’ve heard this phrase many times over the last few years.  Certainly under LJ, but I’m sure Holden said it a couple of times earlier this season. 

I therefore thought it was interesting that tonight’s 2nd half 11 might have been the oldest average age we’ve put out for many a year ( statto’s please correct me if I’m wrong). 

Average age tonight at the start of the 2nd half was 28.18 and we had 5 players over the age of 30. Can’t think when the last time that happened and I’m sure that must be our highest average age for a long time. 

I’ve got no real point or analysis to make on it, just struck me as possibly the oldest line up we’ve put out for a while, and we ought to no longer hear the “we’re a young group” phrase. 

18 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

It is still a young group if you look at the entire squad. Think under LJ it didn’t matter too much because he did not place much faith in the youth. DH is at the minute and is good he can call on experience to see us through in games. 

Someone posted the analysis of our squad compared to others. It was probably Fevs, but basically it showed we're no younger than other clubs in this league.

Youngish still perhaps, but not relative to our competition. 

8 hours ago, Coxy27 said:

Someone posted the analysis of our squad compared to others. It was probably Fevs, but basically it showed we're no younger than other clubs in this league.

Youngish still perhaps, but not relative to our competition. 

Maybe just feels younger because we have 2-4 on the pitch most of the time. Vyner, Semenyo, Dasilva, Moore and Bakinson have played a lot of minutes. I am sure Walsh and Williams will when they return too. I know they aren’t teenagers but most of them inexperienced at this level and you can see them growing with each game. 

We brought 5 players in to the starting XI last night, all 5 are current (or former) internationals.

Kalas, Mariappa, Brunt, Wells & Martin. Only TK of these is under 30, one is 36 this month, another is 34 & Martin is 32.

Rowe then came on at HT, he is 32.

Holden deserves credit for his faith in Semenyo, Bakinson & Vyner but we really can’t use the youth card based on that.

I don’t think Holden means we’ve got a youthful squad when he says “we’re a young group”. We know that’s bollocks looking at the average age. 

I take it as a metaphor which usually means he’s trying to mould a new group or team. What’s odd about that is Holden’s been here for four years, knows most of the players, and didn’t bring in loads of new signings, so we’re not a young team in average age or the metaphorical sense. 

28 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

What Holden meant was that the group was young not that the players are particularly young within it.

That is to say that the players haven’t been playing together for a long time .

We have a good balance of energetic, naive youngsters and cynical old buggers. 

The team or the forum? ?

50 minutes ago, Sheltons Army said:

I’ve listened to most if not all of Holdens interviews

Cant say I’ve heard him use the young group description  *

When was this ?

* In fact I can’t immediately recall where he’s made any sort of ‘excuse’ for any performance or result

I swear I heard him say it a couple of times earlier in the season. 
My point though is not that he’s used it as an excuse, more that, on last nights team, we certainly wouldn’t be able to use that term again. 

1 hour ago, Major Isewater said:

What Holden meant was that the group was young not that the players are particularly young within it.

That is to say that the players haven’t been playing together for a long time .

We have a good balance of energetic, naive youngsters and cynical old buggers. 

Could you clarify Major OTIB or City?

Archived