IGNORED

Everyone Fit: Who Plays?

James54De

4 hours ago, James54De said:

Lots of injuries, lots of surprises this season. But. Saturday’s game, we have a fully fit squad, who plays, in what formation? 

Jesus - Joe Williams recovering crept up on us!

This Saturday we may have Pato on top of today but that’s it. As for who plays when everyone is back then it’s a bit crystal ball as it’ll depend on form and fitness at the time. The irony here is that a lot of people say we need Williams and Walsh back but not many would leave out Bakinson and Nagy at present. Ditto Baker and Mawson vs Vyner and Kalas.

My feeling is that we have a lot of players of similar ability both in the injured list and in the team. So the value on a fully fit squad will be rotations and ability to rest - not everyone can play as many games on the spin as Nagy without levels dropping.

32 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

Jesus - Joe Williams recovering crept up on us!

This Saturday we may have Pato on top of today but that’s it. As for who plays when everyone is back then it’s a bit crystal ball as it’ll depend on form and fitness at the time. The irony here is that a lot of people say we need Williams and Walsh back but not many would leave out Bakinson and Nagy at present. Ditto Baker and Mawson vs Vyner and Kalas.

My feeling is that we have a lot of players of similar ability both in the injured list and in the team. So the value on a fully fit squad will be rotations and ability to rest - not everyone can play as many games on the spin as Nagy without levels dropping.

Good post Silvio.    

I prefer the 433. With that I am only really interested in what Williams and Walsh can bring to that. That said, they have a big task getting in front of the 3 that played last night and Pato. Mawson and Baker will be good to get fit but just can’t see them playing barring injury. Also, Walsh needs to sign a new contract before I commit to his development as a regular. Football probably doesn’t work like that but it is how I feel about it

If we did have a fit squad would Holden revert back to a 3-5-2?

Bents

Vyner      Kalas      Mawson

Hunt        Nagy     Williams         Dasilva

Pato/Weimann 

Martin     Wells

Bents

Vyner      Kalas    Mawson     Dasilva 

Williams

Nagy            Bakinson

Weimann                         Pato

Wells

I’ve gone with Williams as he’s proven at this level and did very well at Wigan considering the troubles they had there. I doubt the 433 side would be anything like reality as Holden likes Martin up there, but for me, it has to be Wells central.

Weimann gets in both my formations, think we really have missed him. 

Wait and see on Walsh to see if he can make the step up, but the signs are very good! 

Probably harsh on Semenyo but he’s still very young, these run of games will no doubt help him. But he’s more of an impact off the bench when he’s been at his best.

I’ve gone with Dasilva purely because when he’s at his best, there’s not many better full backs in the division. Rowe more than capable as cover!

29 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Never going to happen..

As for who plays, those in possession of the shirt, who have done well.

2 examples are Vyner & Nagy, probably wouldn’t be in anyone’s starting 11 at the start of the season, automatic choices now.

Nagy was in mine (cough cough ?), but then again, so was Morrell. ???

As I usually state, never worth getting too hooked up on best eleven, because you don’t get chance to pick it very often, due to injuries, suspension, form, fatigue etc.  It’s a squad game, more than ever this season.

We have some fantastic options when a couple more are fit.

2 hours ago, JoeAman08 said:

I prefer the 433. With that I am only really interested in what Williams and Walsh can bring to that. That said, they have a big task getting in front of the 3 that played last night and Pato. Mawson and Baker will be good to get fit but just can’t see them playing barring injury. Also, Walsh needs to sign a new contract before I commit to his development as a regular. Football probably doesn’t work like that but it is how I feel about it

Sorry you don’t see Mawson playing?

2 hours ago, Bobbie said:

From what I saw of him, a fully fit Mawson would get into any team in this division. 

Is it perhaps the case that a fully fit Mawson wouldn't be playing in this division?

2 hours ago, ReggyRed said:

Sorry you don’t see Mawson playing?

At the minute I don’t see how you can drop Vyner for someone who will be gone within 20 games of return. A lot can change in football quickly though. At the minute, if Mawson was fully fit for Saturday, I would not start him over Vyner or Kalas in 4 defender formations. If we go with a 3 then yes Mawson back in easily. 

Right at this moment (I'll change my mind in five minutes time), I'd like us to try a 5 - 2 - 3 I like the 5 man defence and wing backs but also like the 3 man attack. 

Bentley

Hunt

Vyner

Kalas

Mawson

Dasilva

Nagy

Bakinson

Semenyo

Diedhiou

O'Dowda

Notes:

I've omitted Walsh and Williams simply because I'd be speculating on how good they would be for us. Struggled a bit with the forward as I feel Martin is our best forward but not suited to being a one up front. 

If and when we have a full squad to pick from then the bench choices will be key. But, for example,  would you put both Mawson and Baker on the bench for cover and similarly both Williams and Walsh for cover.  They could all come on without changing the formation much for eg. Kallas, Vyner, and Nagy, Bakinson. The problems start when you need to change formation because you then need a different type of player replacing who comes off. We have the players IMO, when all fit, to play any formation you like but that sometimes means you cant have like for like on the bench. We could end up with a bench all worthy of a start but if you have to change formation, you need multiple options available. I hope this makes sense. Over to you Dean.

I’d probably look at 3-5-2

Bentley 

Vyner Kalas Mawson 

Sess Nagy Walsh Bakinson DaSilva

Martin Wells

Bench: O’Leary, Baker, Moore, Hunt, Rowe, Weimann, Semenyo, Diedhiou, 

That’s on the assumption that we had everybody back tomorrow. Harsh on Pato and COD perhaps, but rather have Andi as he can go up too or in midfield. Same with Rowe in terms of being able to play left, CB or CM. 

Archived