IGNORED

End of year meltdown underway?

BLRed

It’s well documented over recent years that we have an okay start to a season giving us false confidence only to see it all flushed away around Christmas and beyond.

Are we seeing this slide already? It’s fair to say, despite what many might say, performances haven’t been good at all. Stats would back me up regarding the lack of possession, lack of goals, attempts on goal etc etc yet we have somehow claimed points despite that. To me, those points have papered over the cracks and that game against Rotherham brought everything to the surface.

i honestly barring maybe the Preston game, have never witnessed a worse performance all round. I don’t care if people say Rotherham are hard to play against. Majority of other teams have done the job and so should we if we have promotion ambitions.

it was an absolute embarrassment. No fight, no quality, no intelligence just nothing. How was it so bad coming off in my opinion a fortunate win vs blackburn? I don’t accept the knackered scenario in the main and if that was an issue, we could have freshened it up with some that were in the bench from the start. Fam, mariappa, moore, massengo. Not only are the players to blame but the management did themselves no favours.

i just can’t understand how and why it was so bad.. my ramblings aside and going back to main point, are we already on our Christmas/New Year slide to obscurity?

personally I think yes and Millwall on Tuesday will further confirm it.

We've lost 1 game, it's hard to say if it's the start of a slide. I personally think we played well against Blackburn and created the better chances. I think our injuries are catching us with us a bit, nothing really on the bench to change the game for us. 

Hopefully we can pick up a few wins by being hard to beat, and stay around the top 10 before getting some players back and having a good go in the run in. It might not be pretty at times but needs must at the moment so let's see how it goes. 

I do think that some people are going slightly OTT with the criticism of the manager and some players though.

I'm coming round a bit from yesterday now. That was a horrid performance, and understandably we were all thoroughly p***ed off (rightly so).

BUT in the grand scheme of things, this is an injury crisis that makes our other recent injury crises look like a picnic. The fact we are scraping scrappy wins and still 7th in the table is a positive. Overall, Holden is doing a good job (though he'll know performances need to improve, to match our position in the table). We are still well in with a play-off shout this season. Maybe I'm wrong and in the next few weeks and months we'll plummet, and we'll review things then. But for now, despite yesterday's shambles, we can be positive about the season thus far. Sadly, two big tests in the next 6 days. Let's see what we can do.

1 hour ago, BOSRed said:

It’s well documented over recent years that we have an okay start to a season giving us false confidence only to see it all flushed away around Christmas and beyond.

Are we seeing this slide already? It’s fair to say, despite what many might say, performances haven’t been good at all. Stats would back me up regarding the lack of possession, lack of goals, attempts on goal etc etc yet we have somehow claimed points despite that. To me, those points have papered over the cracks and that game against Rotherham brought everything to the surface.

i honestly barring maybe the Preston game, have never witnessed a worse performance all round. I don’t care if people say Rotherham are hard to play against. Majority of other teams have done the job and so should we if we have promotion ambitions.

it was an absolute embarrassment. No fight, no quality, no intelligence just nothing. How was it so bad coming off in my opinion a fortunate win vs blackburn? I don’t accept the knackered scenario in the main and if that was an issue, we could have freshened it up with some that were in the bench from the start. Fam, mariappa, moore, massengo. Not only are the players to blame but the management did themselves no favours.

i just can’t understand how and why it was so bad.. my ramblings aside and going back to main point, are we already on our Christmas/New Year slide to obscurity?

Do you know what, doing was Rotherham preview was hard work.  From watching highlights, video etc, the only things I could actually see was:

- balls into Smith

- early crosses

- players happy to load forward in their small amounts of possession 

I was actually worried there was more more to their game than I had seen, and I do take pride in trying to get a good feel as to how they play.

Seriously though, those 3 things were it (other than hardworking physicality and desire).  How could we be so shell shocked by what presented itself.

1 hour ago, BOSRed said:

What a ridiculous overreaction.  We won a match on Wednesday; we lost a match yesterday.  We may well win another match on Tuesday.  Yesterday was pretty awful but if you that was the worst performance you’ve ever seen then you haven’t been a City supporter (if indeed you are one) for very long. Clearly you don’t remember losing 6-0 at home to Cardiff!

Yes we were poor yesterday, but all teams have off-days in every sport, the difference being that in most sports when a team plays poorly, so-called ‘fans’ don’t immediately go onto social media and demand staff and players be sacked, owners burned at the stake, etc. etc.

What has been an ‘absolute embarrassment’ is not our awful performance yesterday, but reactions to it on OTIB.  It could only happen in football, and, let’s face it, Bristol City fans are notoriously worse than most in this regard.

Its a game.  We played poorly and lost a match.  Get over it and look forward to the next game and an opportunity to put thinks right.  We’re on a losing run of, um, one game for heaven’s sake!

10 minutes ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

What a ridiculous overreaction.  We won a match on Wednesday; we lost a match yesterday.  We may well win another match on Tuesday.  Yesterday was pretty awful but if you that was the worst performance you’ve ever seen then you haven’t been a City supporter (if indeed you are one) for very long. Clearly you don’t remember losing 6-0 at home to Cardiff!

Yes we were poor yesterday, but all teams have off-days in every sport, the difference being that in most sports when a team plays poorly, so-called ‘fans’ don’t immediately go onto social media and demand staff and players be sacked, owners burned at the stake, etc. etc.

What has been an ‘absolute embarrassment’ is not our awful performance yesterday, but reactions to it on OTIB.  It could only happen in football, and, let’s face it, Bristol City fans are notoriously worse than most in this regard.

Its a game.  We played poorly and lost a match.  Get over it and look forward to the next game and an opportunity to put thinks right.  We’re on a losing run of, um, one game for heaven’s sake!

Great post, the amount of abuse some of our players/manager get after a defeat is embarrassing, from people who are apparently City 'supporters'

8 minutes ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

It sounds weird, but I thought that Cardiff game was really funny considering the result.Seem to recall many City fans making a really fun atmosphere during the game,helped by the free programmes debacle.

29 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Do you know what, doing was Rotherham preview was hard work.  From watching highlights, video etc, the only things I could actually see was:

- balls into Smith

- early crosses

I was actually worried there was more more to their game than I had seen, and I do take pride in trying to get a good feel as to how they play.

Seriously though, those 3 things were it (other than hardworking physicality and desire).  How could we be so shell shocked by what presented itself.

Absolutely & it made the team selection even more baffling.

I did wonder if Rotherham had it in mind to try and up their work rate yesterday, knowing that we have had horrendous injuries meaning we’ve had to play a similar team every match, plus they had an extra days rest midweek. Obviously they are a hard working team anyway and we still should have responded better than we did, but perhaps at least a factor as to why we seemed unable to cope? Then again I think they had injury issues too....

10 minutes ago, Packman said:

Great post, the amount of abuse some of our players/manager get after a defeat is embarrassing, from people who are apparently City 'supporters'

It is embarrassing especially when you can identify “supporters” who ONLY comment on here when we are losing a game and that “comment@ is generally to spout bile at individuals. What kind of mentality makes you do that if the team is meant to be something you want to do well?

Yesterday in my mind was a rare occurrence where there was no redeeming aspect of the performance but you still have to look at things as a whole and in a realistic perspective, not micro analyse one bad game to death.

Holy shit! We’ve lost one game & it gets this reaction?!?

It’s the middle of December, within a month or so we could have Walsh, Williams, Baker, Mawson & Sessegnon available to play for us. That’s about half a team & it will give us so many more options to go with, to be able to rotate & rest players & to enable us more options from the bench when needed.

This place really is a site for drama queens!

3 minutes ago, steveybadger said:

I did wonder if Rotherham had it in mind to try and up their work rate yesterday, knowing that we have had horrendous injuries meaning we’ve had to play a similar team every match, plus they had an extra days rest midweek. Obviously they are a hard working team anyway and we still should have responded better than we did, but perhaps at least a factor as to why we seemed unable to cope? Then again I think they had injury issues too....

In simple terms I think the Rotherham coaching staff identified we have weaknesses in coping with the direct type of game they play and made sure that they went direct with bells and whistles on. We couldn’t cope with it whereas when teams like Blackburn come to play we can deal with it.

4 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

It is embarrassing especially when you can identify “supporters” who ONLY comment on here when we are losing a game and that “comment@ is generally to spout bile at individuals. What kind of mentality makes you do that if the team is meant to be something you want to do well?

Yesterday in my mind was a rare occurrence where there was no redeeming aspect of the performance but you still have to look at things as a whole and in a realistic perspective, not micro analyse one bad game to death.

It’s why I stayed off last night.

1 minute ago, Davefevs said:

It’s why I stayed off last night.

Good move imo. I know you played football at a level yourself. Look in the Matchday thread when we go a goal down. How many of those posters would you have wanted alongside you when your teams went a goal down. One poster, we all know who he is, declared the game as lost after 5 minutes. He was right this time as it happens but not the sort of attitude you want to see from 10 teammates that’s for sure!!

1 minute ago, Numero Uno said:

In simple terms I think the Rotherham coaching staff identified we have weaknesses in coping with the direct type of game they play and made sure that they went direct with bells and whistles on. We couldn’t cope with it whereas when teams like Blackburn come to play we can deal with it.

For me I was disappointed we didn’t react.  As basic as it sounds, you have to stop them doing what they are doing, pinging long balls to our final third.

How do you do that?  It’s not easy, but a combination of:

• keep the ball yourself, or
  • play a high line as Smith isn’t gonna run you over the top, or
  • make them do it from deeper where their midfield can’t gamble on breaking past our midfield, or
  • just clip it in behind the full-backs and turn them around, or
  • change system
  • etc

It doesn’t need to be pretty either, but you have to turn the tide, sometimes gradually.  That tide never turned yesterday.  Fair play to Rotherham though.

Having just watched the lowlights from yesterday, I think that, that hopefully was just a match too far for a number of our players, who looked tired and frankly pathetic?  Rotherham   just steamrollered us, with their big lump of a centre forward,  they were far better motivated and aggressive  than us.  We let ourselves down badly, and we need to bounce back quickly from what was our worst performance of the season, and a number of players owe the manager and fans after that pittaful effort.  We need to make a couple of changes for Tuesday, and i just hope we have the available resources, because it seems obvious that there are one or two players who are in need of a rest?  

42 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

Because we grind out some decent results , the ‘ desperate for the promised land’ Sections get carried away and the meltdown is actually worse.

The bile , as you point out normally starts , shortly after , or often before kick off , and if we go a goal down ....... well....

The reality is we are a reasonable side , decent when we get it together , but we need 8 or 9 individuals at least average and above , to get results

We have generally an honest squad , but IMHO lack the real quality In most areas , to take us up a level (Whoever is head coach) - a squad of similar standard across the board

We shouldn’t all things be considered an obvious promotion threat IMHO and for the desperate / impatient for promotion in our fan base , I wonder whether they’ve considered what would happen if by some miracle we actually managed to sneak up .....

This squad would be annihilated.

12 minutes ago, Sheltons Army said:

Because we grind out some decent results , the ‘ desperate for the promised land’ Sections get carried away and the meltdown is actually worse.

The bile , as you point out normally starts , shortly after , or often before kick off , and if we go a goal down ....... well....

The reality is we are a reasonable side , decent when we get it together , but we need 8 or 9 individuals at least average and above , to get results

We have generally an honest squad , but IMHO lack the real quality In most areas , to take us up a level (Whoever is head coach) - a squad of similar standard across the board

We shouldn’t all things be considered an obvious promotion threat IMHO and for the desperate / impatient for promotion in our fan base , I wonder whether they’ve considered what would happen if by some miracle we actually managed to sneak up .....

This squad would be annihilated.

Agree. But SL et. al need to stop with the promotion talk as I believe it’s that that gets the majority of people offside.  Stop talking about us as ‘Prem Ready’ all the time and expectations will reduce (Yes I do know that aims have to be lofty but also need to be realistic).  

21 minutes ago, maxjak said:

Having just watched the lowlights from yesterday, I think that, that hopefully was just a match too far for a number of our players, who looked tired and frankly pathetic?  Rotherham   just steamrollered us, with their big lump of a centre forward,  they were far better motivated and aggressive  than us.  We let ourselves down badly, and we need to bounce back quickly from what was our worst performance of the season, and a number of players owe the manager and fans after that pittaful effort.  We need to make a couple of changes for Tuesday, and i just hope we have the available resources, because it seems obvious that there are one or two players who are in need of a rest?  

Bit unfair on Michael Smith.  He’s always had good touch for a big man....and yesterday his movement caused us problems too.

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

- balls into Smith

- early crosses

I predicted the nature of their first goal, based purely on your preview and the number of goals we’ve shipped from not tracking first or second runners.

It wasn’t rocket science to see what they were about and what needed to be aware of.

So disappointing.

4 minutes ago, lenred said:

Agree. But SL et. al need to stop with the promotion talk as I believe it’s that that gets the majority of people offside.  Stop talking about us as ‘Prem Ready’ all the time and expectations will reduce (Yes I do know that aims have to be lofty but also need to be realistic).  

Agree, but supporters need to themselves conduct a realistic assessment of this squad 

If I was SL Id be asking myself , why after 4/5 years of stability , backing and growth off the pitch , and in the wage bill , why we Havn’t got a squad that’s a serious threat to promotion 

Personally, If I was him I’d be concentrating reform in our recruitment set up and ‘expertise’

Archived