IGNORED

Famara

GrahamC

13 minutes ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

It was a strange signing in a way as it went against our recruitment ethos to a certain extent - was it perhaps a bit of a kneejerk reaction to previous years` criticism of us not going for it in January when we had the chance?

January is the month where a manager sells a dream to his CEO / Owner, and all of the logic of the summer recruitment and business planning is ignored. ???

22 minutes ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

It was a strange signing in a way as it went against our recruitment ethos to a certain extent - was it perhaps a bit of a kneejerk reaction to previous years` criticism of us not going for it in January when we had the chance?

We were crying out for a top Championship goalscorer but got Wells . 

He should have been the last piece of the jigsaw that would get us promotion but we all know how that ended up . 

The guy is class and people should get off his back . He is a ‘ fox in the box ‘ type player who is being played out on the wing.

He is being wasted here IMHO.

2 hours ago, ExiledAjax said:

You can go back further, looking at their entire careers at our level, and Fam still comes out on top. I've looked at comparing the two before (to counter the ridiculous "Wells is a 20-goal a season striker" line) and the other big thing in Fam's favour is his consistency. Across his whole career he rarely goes more than 5 games without a goal. Conversely he rarely gets 2 or 3 in a game but  15 single goals across 15 games will return more points than 5 hat-tricks over 5.

When we signed Wells he was scoring at double the rate of his xG for QPR. Double. He was so far above his career average goals per game. It was madness to think he'd come to us and keep it going. If Ashton's recruitment algorithm is that short-sighted then I despair.

Add to that his shite passing in the midfield and lack of any defensive responsibility and I really start to think Burnley had our pants down.

Vive le Fam. 

Great post.

I was talking to my old man earlier & he has been watching City since the mid 50s & he said this, Fam can have his poor games but you never think he isn’t giving it everything & even then, he gives defenders a tough day because he is so strong and always up for the battle. Famara’s 3 goals as a sub this season have all won us the game, that’s 6 more points we have as a result.

Although I do sympathise with Wells for being asked to play wide on occasion, you certainly can’t say the same thing about him, can you?

2 hours ago, GrahamC said:

Great post.

I was talking to my old man earlier & he has been watching City since the mid 50s & he said this, Fam can have his poor games but you never think he isn’t giving it everything & even then, he gives defenders a tough day because he is so strong and always up for the battle. Famara’s 3 goals as a sub this season have all won us the game, that’s 6 more points we have as a result.

Although I do sympathise with Wells for being asked to play wide on occasion, you certainly can’t say the same thing about him, can you?

Great post. Except it's actually 9 points! ?

Ah no I see you mean 6 points gained??

1 hour ago, GrahamC said:

Great post.

If your Dad dictated this to you, please tell him that it's three points for a win, not two points!

I know it's difficult when one gets to advanced years.

@GrahamC

9 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

Great post. Except it's actually 9 points! ?

5 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

If your Dad dictated this to you, please tell him that it's three points for a win, not two points!

I know it's difficult when one gets to advanced years.

@GrahamC

Not so, his goals have turned three draws into three wins so have gained us six points. @GrahamC`s dad was spot on.

3 hours ago, Major Isewater said:

The guy is class and people should get off his back . He is a ‘ fox in the box ‘ type player who is being played out on the wing.

If we play to his strengths, I reckon we'll get the best out of him. You can't really argue with what he did at QPR. Not saying build the team around him, but the games he spent out wide were just a waste, imho.

I love Fam, but he looks far more of a threat and far more effective when brought off the bench against a tired defence.

56 minutes ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

Not so, his goals have turned three draws into three wins so have gained us six points. @GrahamC`s dad was spot on.

54 minutes ago, pongo88 said:

If scores were level his goals converted 1 point into 3 hence 6 points in total 

49 minutes ago, Maltshoveller said:

Schoolboy error

Yes. I have worked this out.

Don't golf, drink, then post.

In my little “points gained / points lost per 90 mins” model, Fam has streaked up to second place on 1.24 PGp90 (points gained per 90).

The bare metrics for Fam are +7 points gained in 507 minutes. (2 points gained in 21 minutes helps the numbers!)

Mawson is top dog on 1.29.

(In fact Opi Edwards is top but he’s only played 27 minutes and gained 2 points so he sits on 6.67 which doesn’t count!!)

4 hours ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

For me it was a bit of a vanity signing. I like Wells but we should never have signed him.

After the mess we made of the Nketiah saga, the Diony failure etc, the need to sign a “proven 9” became borderline obsession for Ashton.

Wells was signed as the top scorer in the league without any thought of how we would use him or play him purely to show that we could make the signing, I think Wells would have rather gone to QPR, and is now playing left wing in a bits and bobs outfit.

Archived