IGNORED

Recalling loan players

GrahamC

Tinnion kept repeating during commentary that we would be bringing “3 or 4” back from their current loans next week & explained that many of those who are out of loan were considered ahead in their development to those we are having to put on the bench at present.

Palmer (an unused sub yet again today) seems certain to be one, Pring seems likely to be another, but as for the other 2 then either Jonny Smith or Adelakun seems probable & with so many midfielders injured then maybe James Morton at Grimsby as well?

1 minute ago, GrahamC said:

Tinnion kept repeating during commentary that we would be bringing “3 or 4” back from their current loans next week & explained that many of those who are out of loan were considered ahead in their development to those we are having to put on the bench at present.

Palmer (an unused sub yet again today) seems certain to be one, Pring seems likely to be another, but as for the other 2 then either Jonny Smith or Adelakun seems probable & with so many midfielders injured then maybe James Morton at Grimsby as well?

Are recalled players available for Brentford?? Got no choice to call players back as none of injuries likely to be available to end of Jan

Just now, Shuffle said:

Are recalled players available for Brentford?? Got no choice to call players back as none of injuries likely to be available to end of Jan

Don’t think so, probably available from the games after that.

1 minute ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

There is that, problem is I don't really see them improving us.

And tbh, neither do I. I’m of the opinion that we have a lot of 6/10 players but not many 8/10s. The trouble is, to get those 8/10s it costs money. And that brings back to the point that we, and nobody else, will spend significant cash in this window. I don’t think it’s about sanctions. It’s about the reality, and if we get four bodies back the squad is better for it - even if they are 6/10

3 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

There is that, problem is I don't really see them improving us.

Palmer, Pring, Adelakun & J Smith absolutely 100% improve us. We are in a hugely stronger position having those 4 on the bench rather than Edwards, Bell, Z Smith & Towler. 

1 minute ago, Harry said:

Palmer, Pring, Adelakun & J Smith absolutely 100% improve us. We are in a hugely stronger position having those 4 on the bench rather than Edwards, Bell, Z Smith & Towler. 

Well, Palmer I'll give you- these are young players as well though, Adelakun has not done an awful lot- we are down to the bare bones though- Edwards got a assist today?

I wonder if Pring and J.Smith might not be better served continuing development this season at their loan clubs- Portsmouth and Swindon? Having said that if not going up or down this season, we could blood youngsters for the final couple of months if it's clear we'll be in a Championship side next season. Would mean accepting no top 6 though.

5 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

And tbh, neither do I. I’m of the opinion that we have a lot of 6/10 players but not many 8/10s. The trouble is, to get those 8/10s it costs money. And that brings back to the point that we, and nobody else, will spend significant cash in this window. I don’t think it’s about sanctions. It’s about the reality, and if we get four bodies back the squad is better for it - even if they are 6/10

We'll see- a useful loanee or two could provide a spark, could be a subdued window with Covid but I wonder which Championship sides will spend or at least be active in January.

7 minutes ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

None of us could see Vyner, Semenyo or Bakinson improving us before the season started.

Fair- and their emergence has been one of the bright points of this season- Moore started quite well too but he was further along and seems to have stagnated/gone backwards a bit?

1 minute ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Well, Palmer I'll give you- these are young players as well though, Adelakun has not done an awful lot- we are down to the bare bones though- Edwards got a assist today?

I wonder if Pring and J.Smith might not be better served continuing development this season at their loan clubs- Portsmouth and Swindon? Having said that if not going up or down this season, we could blood youngsters for the final couple of months if it's clear we'll be in a Championship side next season. Would mean accepting no top 6 though.

Print is exactly the sort of player we would be looking to sign if he wasn't with us.....playing regularly at top end league 1 and getting good reviews. No brained to bring him back.

Palmer is an obvious one to help us with creativity.

Unless we sign wingers then we need adelukan as atm we have semwnyo and o dowda who play out wide.....resulting in wells often getting put out wide.

Just now, Bassomylord said:

Print is exactly the sort of player we would be looking to sign if he wasn't with us.....playing regularly at top end league 1 and getting good reviews. No brained to bring him back.

Palmer is an obvious one to help us with creativity.

Unless we sign wingers then we need adelukan as atm we have semwnyo and o dowda who play out wide.....resulting in wells often getting put out wide.

If we do being back Pring, I hope there would be regular game time- real regular gametime- if DaSilva returns any time soon I couldn't see him getting ahead of DaSilva, and without real regular gametime we know he's doing fine at Portsmouth, let him develop in a consistent environment for a season before bringing him in to compete.

I wonder how we fit him in tactically. Wouldn't want him in a midfield 2 for a start- 4-3-1-2 maybe? the 3 being CMs? 4-2-2-2?

Yeah not a fan of Wells on the left...just don't know if Adelakun is the right option tbh.

2 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

We'll see- a useful loanee or two could provide a spark, could be a subdued window with Covid but I wonder which Championship sides will spend or at least be active in January.

Fair- and their emergence has been one of the bright points of this season- Moore started quite well too but he was further along and seems to have stagnated/gone backwards a bit?

I fear for Taylor Moore tbh. Looks to be heading in the wrong direction. With Mawson and Baker on the way back last week was probably his final chance to show he’s got it at this level. He blew it I think and will end the season as sixth or seventh choice.

Just now, Mr Popodopolous said:

If we do being back Pring, I hope there would be regular game time- real regular gametime- if DaSilva returns any time soon I couldn't see him getting ahead of DaSilva, and without real regular gametime we know he's doing fine at Portsmouth, let him develop in a consistent environment for a season before bringing him in to compete.

I wonder how we fit him in tactically. Wouldn't want him in a midfield 2 for a start- 4-3-1-2 maybe? the 3 being CMs? 4-2-2-2?

Yeah not a fan of Wells on the left...just don't know if Adelakun is the right option tbh.

Adelukan isn't the right option....but he is a far better option than the likes of Edwards Towler and the other young lads on the bench.

Dasilva has been a big disappointment to me since signing permanently....maybe cos half the time he is a wing back which just doesn't suit him....add that to what seems a significant injury i can see Pring, in time, being our number 1.....assuming of course he steps up as he has been receiving rave reviews.

Just now, Numero Uno said:

I fear for Taylor Moore tbh. Looks to be heading in the wrong direction. With Mawson and Baker on the way back last week was probably his final chance to show he’s got it at this level. He blew it I think and will end the season as sixth or seventh choice.

Seemed to start quite nicely in the back 3- especially with the Moore-Kalas-Mawson combination, but since Mawson out he seems to have regressed- Kalas, Mawson, Baker, Mariappa and Vyner all ahead of him now I'd have thought, injuries aside.

1 minute ago, Numero Uno said:

Sell him. Baker, Mariappa and Mawson will be gone in the summer and will be replaced.....Moore is done here he isnt good enough and had enough chances.

2 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

He might have to play at Luton if we go with a three and Zak`s out.

Just now, Lanterne Rouge said:

He might have to play at Luton if we go with a three and Zak`s out.

Yeah, one more last chance!! Unlike Vyner who has made mistakes but will follow those up with a solid game or two Moore just seems to have a mistake in him every time he steps out onto a football pitch.

Moore has some sympathy from me. He has made mistakes, no doubt, but often they come when he is being asked to play on the left side of a three (or a two). When he has played central in a three it has been unhelpful to him that he has had Rowe on his left (Rowe, who I like, but it would be generous to call him an auxiliary centre half, he's just plain out of position there). He hasn't been given the same opportunity as Vyner who has consistently played in his preferred position on the right of a three (where he is afforded more cover) or on the right of a two with the more experienced Kalas alongside him. It doesn't exonerate Moore's mistakes but it does mitigate them, I think. 

Add to that that he is 23 years old so you would expect a good 5 or 6 years from his peak as a centre half, I think he's worth keeping around. 

Excited to seem Cam Pring come back in as an option for left wingback or fullback. Seems he was given his chance and before positive covid tests hit their squad he had a really good performance that kept them top.

Adelakun has been inconsistent for them and I saw their manager say he offers something different , calls him a drifter.....something we don't want! 

Worried about KP because he really lacks work rate and drive for me which we cant afford at the moment as we have seen.

Keep thinking about Walsh and Williams but can't see it happening for a long time. We may need to get someone in temporarily maybe a free agent ? 

2 minutes ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

Not quite true.  Vyner was always going to improve for me.

All for me as they are very young. I think Semenyo does impact games but can't score well that could take a few games could take a few seasons. Bakinson will improve as long as he gets gametime as would Vyner. One positive out of this slump and season is that young players are getting gametime they wouldn't have got had it not been for our injury crisis.

32 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

You didn’t say anything about what’s best for their own development. You said they wouldn’t improve us. 

I’d be very happy to make the argument that the 4 players I mentioned as returning compare hugely favourably to the 4 kids we have on our bench. 
Around 450 league appearances versus 2 says so too. 

1 hour ago, Harry said:

100%.

Tinnion was at pains to point out in commentary that those out on loan are ahead in their development of many we have to use as subs at present.

Palmer has played a lot of Championship football, Adelakun has played some Championship football & a lot of League One football, Pring has played some League One & a fair bit of League Two football, so has Jonny Smith.

Towler, Bell, Pearson, Opi Edwards & Zac Smith have never started a single league game in all the 4 divisions between them.

It is impossible to seriously argue we would not be stronger with the first 4 players rather than any of the second 5 on the bench.

Archived