IGNORED

Goalkeepers get too much protection - Exhibit 2012174

Lrrr

Big bugbear of mine from my playing days.

Keepers can come for the ball studs up and get away with it, yet touch them and its a free kick. Been like that for decades now.

That was a perfectly good goal and if that keeper had concentrated on getting the ball instead of protecting himself by sticking his knee in the back of the Burnley player, he would have collected the ball cleanly.

I once got the full force of a keepers studs twice in quick succession and on the third occasion I went in studs up, got sent off and subsequently fined and banned. I've had it in for keepers ever since - about 30 years (not that I bear a grudge) :thumbsup:

6 minutes ago, bcfc01 said:

Keepers can come for the ball studs up and get away with it, yet touch them and its a free kick. Been like that for decades now.

That was a perfectly good goal and if that keeper had concentrated on getting the ball instead of protecting himself by sticking his knee in the back of the Burnley player, he would have collected the ball cleanly.

I once got the full force of a keepers studs twice in quick succession and on the third occasion I went in studs up, got sent off and subsequently fined and banned. I've had it in for keepers ever since - about 30 years (not that I bear a grudge) :thumbsup:

Knee up is basic protection for a keeper that is ingrained from age 10 upwards. That didn’t contribute to him dropping the ball, that’s an automatic action that protects AND stops you getting “moved” in mid air. If you jump vertically in those situations you would end up on your back.

14 minutes ago, Three Lions said:

Lrrr exactly the keeper was in the air, if you back in go under it’s a foul. 

So Harry Kane goes under a defender, takes out players who've jumped in the air and he wins fouls, Ben Mee jumps for a ball and the keeper clatters into the back of him coming way out and its a foul for the one in the air? Good consistency in refereeing decisions there....

Lrrr Forget about Kane here the keeper is higher than the player. The players head is not that close to the ball so he can’t challenge that tight to him. You can’t go under a player there as it’s a foul. As keepers can’t protect their torso with their arms the rule is different than feet v feet it’s head v hands. and if the head is not near the ball and the keepers hands are and players collide the keeper gets the free kick.  The commentators don’t seem to know that bit of the rule and go on about where the player is looking etc.

43 minutes ago, Three Lions said:

Lrrr Forget about Kane here the keeper is higher than the player. The players head is not that close to the ball so he can’t challenge that tight to him. You can’t go under a player there as it’s a foul. As keepers can’t protect their torso with their arms the rule is different than feet v feet it’s head v hands. and if the head is not near the ball and the keepers hands are and players collide the keeper gets the free kick.  The commentators don’t seem to know that bit of the rule and go on about where the player is looking etc.

He's not really 'under' him though, at point of contact there's perhaps a heads height in it and the Leeds keeper is only that much higher because he can have his hands up to reach for the ball. Watching back Mee would have got his head on the ball had the keeper not come for it as he was still going up in his jump, not that close he was pretty damn close to it, the Leeds keeper also collides with Mee before getting a hand on the ball so its not as if he's claimed it first.

1 hour ago, bcfc01 said:

Your 30 year ban was harsh! 

9 minutes ago, Lrrr said:

He's not really 'under' him though, at point of contact there's perhaps a heads height in it and the Leeds keeper is only that much higher because he can have his hands up to reach for the ball. Watching back Mee would have got his head on the ball had the keeper not come for it as he was still going up in his jump, not that close he was pretty damn close to it, the Leeds keeper also collides with Mee before getting a hand on the ball so its not as if he's claimed it first.

The keeper also clearly fouled the Burnley player by kneeing him in the back.

One of Ivan Toney's goals a few months back involved him throwing himself against the defender to head the ball with the result that both ball and defender ended up in the net! Goal awarded. If that defender had been the goalkeeper would the goal have stood or would the goalkeeper be deemed to have been fouled?

I think we got away with it, makes up for 2 amazingly crap decisions in previous matches.

One thing to note....

Ben Mee is actually nowhere near the ball, sure his eyes are ON the ball but he’s nowhere near it he’s backing underneath the keeper, that said the keeper does fumble BEFORE contact however it could probably be argued that he couldn’t recover his fumble as (like in Rugby with a line out) he was backed into underneath him.

I think it’s very soft and is probably a goal for the record.

Also Bamfords penalty, I don’t know what people are watching, Bamford clearly gets the ball with the outside of his foot before the keeper takes him out.

Either way, delighted they didn’t really (other than the goal / non goal) have a clear cut chance against our 4th and 5th choice CBs...

Not quite the full Harald Schumacher but the Leeds keeper clearly takes out Ben Mee without the ball, so it should be a penalty. That the referee then blows preventing the goal from counting is also a serious mistake, plus VAR didn’t intervene on either part, which considering it usually reacts to anything in the penalty area is just ridiculously inconsistent.

Finally Leeds were very lucky to get the penalty as Pope gets his foot to the ball first then gets clattered by Bamford into the bargain but is penalised.

“Marching on Together” with the ref whistling the tune today...

38 minutes ago, SPAZZA said:

I think we got away with it, makes up for 2 amazingly crap decisions in previous matches.

One thing to note....

Ben Mee is actually nowhere near the ball, sure his eyes are ON the ball but he’s nowhere near it he’s backing underneath the keeper, that said the keeper does fumble BEFORE contact however it could probably be argued that he couldn’t recover his fumble as (like in Rugby with a line out) he was backed into underneath him.

I think it’s very soft and is probably a goal for the record.

Also Bamfords penalty, I don’t know what people are watching, Bamford clearly gets the ball with the outside of his foot before the keeper takes him out.

Either way, delighted they didn’t really (other than the goal / non goal) have a clear cut chance against our 4th and 5th choice CBs...

For me its just not a foul full stop either way, contact in the sport play should have carried on and the major flaw was the referee not waiting a couple of seconds to see if anything came of the play before blowing, that way VAR could have looked at the incident once Barnes had put the ball in the net.

FWIW I think Mee is heading it if the keeper doesn't come out, as said before he's not 'nowhere near it' he's pretty close and still on the way up with his jump so would have got his head on it.

@Spazza "One thing to note.... Ben Mee is actually nowhere near the ball, sure his eyes are ON the ball but he’s nowhere near it he’s backing underneath the keeper, that said the keeper does fumble BEFORE contact however it could probably be argued that he couldn’t recover his fumble as (like in Rugby with a line out) he was backed into underneath him. I think it’s very soft and is probably a goal for the record." Here he cant challenge for the ball. On motd Danny Murphy mentions eyes on the ball but it doesnt matter. The players head has to be near the ball when its head v hands or he cant challenge for it. As soft as it seems if the player makes any challenge for a ball when his head is not near the ball its a foul. Its not feet v feet or head v head. 

1 hour ago, Three Lions said:

@Spazza "One thing to note.... Ben Mee is actually nowhere near the ball, sure his eyes are ON the ball but he’s nowhere near it he’s backing underneath the keeper, that said the keeper does fumble BEFORE contact however it could probably be argued that he couldn’t recover his fumble as (like in Rugby with a line out) he was backed into underneath him. I think it’s very soft and is probably a goal for the record." Here he cant challenge for the ball. On motd Danny Murphy mentions eyes on the ball but it doesnt matter. The players head has to be near the ball when its head v hands or he cant challenge for it. As soft as it seems if the player makes any challenge for a ball when his head is not near the ball its a foul. Its not feet v feet or head v head. 

Is that actually a rule?  I’ve never heard that before?  Any qualified refs confirm? @shelts?

From my point of view (and I’m not clear on the above) I think the Leeds keeper was lucky.  If anyone committed a foul I’d say it was the keeper, but I’m not clear on rules here.

Archived