IGNORED

How good has Diedhiou been and can City afford to lose him?

DanCarter25

10 minutes ago, collier said:

Garbage, best striker we have. By your reckoning we should dump the entire team because in reality none of them are good enough for Prem footy at this present time.

What has him being the best striker got to do with anything? You don't seem to understand that both Wells and Martin have long deals. 

2 hours ago, bris red said:

We must keep him IMO. I’ve lost count of the amount of times i have said how much it would cost to replace him - you are talking upwards of £6mill i would imagine to get in somebody with his goal scoring record at this level and i very much doubt we have that sort of money in the current climate.

In this market is your 6 million and upwards perhaps a bit exaggerated ?

Most clubs are in the same boat as we  are with revenues on the floor and no guarantee for the near future.  

Therefore if we sell in the same market we should be looking to replace at the same market price and not those of the PreCovid one.

FD is a decent player at this level and a good character to have around but we shouldn’t or perhaps can’t break the bank to keep him at the expense of the wellbeing of the club over all.

I hate to see an ‘ asset ‘ walk away for nothing but we must not put the club in danger with a snowball effect caused by  upping the wage levels in these hard times.

55 minutes ago, Bassomylord said:

What has him being the best striker got to do with anything? You don't seem to understand that both Wells and Martin have long deals. 

You said that we need better to get to the prem, by your reckoning we should sell everyone. None of our strikers are good enough but you think not resigning the best one is a sound decision?? Players on contracts get sold all the time so sell them all right. Perhaps bring in Messi with all the money we have to spend on a better striker than fam huh?

The fact is we won't be spending big money on anyone better than Fam so how exactly would letting fam go put us in a better position for the rest of the season or the next??

3 minutes ago, collier said:

You said that we need better to get to the prem, by your reckoning we should sell everyone. None of our strikers are good enough but you think not resigning the best one is a sound decision?? Players on contracts get sold all the time so sell them all right. Perhaps bring in Messi with all the money we have to spend on a better striker than fam huh?

The fact is we won't be spending big money on anyone better than Fam so how exactly would letting fam go put us in a better position for the rest of the season or the next??

You conveniently missed out the bit that he’s been offered,  but as yet has failed to agree / sign

Why would that be Do you think

Out of interest - How much in wages would you be prepared to give him to sign a new one ?

5 hours ago, Calculus said:

Oops, you're probably right. Mind you, Danny Kaye thinks different:

I had to go and look it up as you made me doubt myself, but it is indeed the Emperors new clothes written by Hans Christian Anderson, no Idea why this film called it the Kings new clothes. 

10 hours ago, collier said:

I appreciate this is difficult for you to understand but we literally cannot sell Wells or Martin unless there is a club that is willing to take them on....it is simple.

"The fact is" - no facts here just your opinion, thanks for the questions though.

14 hours ago, Redtucks said:

It's what we have to do to compete with the teams that get parachute payments!

Top of the Prem Leicester for instance; they have not always been in the prem, in fact I can remember many trips to Filbert St and us playing them regularly and they have not always had para payments either. same for the bottom 5 teams Brighton,Burnley,Fulham, WBA, Sheff Utd you can add in the likley returnees this season Norwich/Watford/Bournemouth all with one thing in common we used to play them regularly in this div at The Gate.

Point being we competed with these teams when they didnt have the "payments" so what are/were they doing, that we clearly are not ........apart from investing in decent managers/players and keeping them.

14 minutes ago, glos old boy said:

Top of the Prem Leicester for instance; they have not always been in the prem, in fact I can remember many trips to Filbert St and us playing them regularly and they have not always had para payments either. same for the bottom 5 teams Brighton,Burnley,Fulham, WBA, Sheff Utd you can add in the likley returnees this season Norwich/Watford/Bournemouth all with one thing in common we used to play them regularly in this div at The Gate.

Point being we competed with these teams when they didnt have the "payments" so what are/were they doing, that we clearly are not ........apart from investing in decent managers/players and keeping them.

I think what most of them are doing, is getting rid of the players they know can't mix it at the level above, taking punts from abroad and/or this level or below (see Watkins, Toney etc), and over the course of a few seasons consolidating, then having a big push financially and in most cases having the skill/luck involved to get promotion.

Clubs like Derby (currently looking bleak) Birmingham and QPR (higher wage bills) have tried, failed, and now are just plodding along happy to finish anywhere between 21st and mid table. 

Sunderland, Hull, Portsmouth, Ipswich, Charlton, Blackpool, Wigan, all clubs that have been in the top flight within the last 20 years or so (from memory without checking dates of all), all find themselves at the level below us. All at some point, have tried to get back to the Prem, and failed drastically in some cases. These are examples of what happens when you push, fail, then just keep falling away from the rest, until eventually you drop out of this league.

It's really frustrating seeing clubs that don't have PP payments going for it and doing it, whilst we just "plod along" aiming/hoping for a playoff spot each year. However taking my supporters hat off, you can see why the club doesn't just push for it, especially after being burned the last time we were relegated from this league - high earners with contracts few wanted to take on.

Villa are another example of extremes. The last season they were at this level, there was serious talk of them being in dire trouble. They basically went for it, shit or bust, and look where they are now. I'd love us to be a "Villa type" by pushing the boat out and getting the end result (minus the financial issues they werelooking at), but I fear we would probably end up being the next "Derby type" if we were to try it.

Completely get what you're saying @glos old boy, but if we do get promotion at some point, I'm pretty sure it's going to be by being financially prudent, and savvy in the transfer market as well as the managerial position.

Financially prudent we may be, to an extent, savvy (on both points) is where I fear we fall short.

20 hours ago, Sheltons Army said:

You conveniently missed out the bit that he’s been offered,  but as yet has failed to agree / sign

Why would that be Do you think

Out of interest - How much in wages would you be prepared to give him to sign a new one ?

Out of interest don't you think that's a pointless question?? Neither me or you are privy to what he has been offered. From my point of view he could have been low balled and from yours he could be getting too big for his boots and rejecting a good offer. 

8 hours ago, Taz said:

I think what most of them are doing, is getting rid of the players they know can't mix it at the level above, taking punts from abroad and/or this level or below (see Watkins, Toney etc), and over the course of a few seasons consolidating, then having a big push financially and in most cases having the skill/luck involved to get promotion.

Clubs like Derby (currently looking bleak) Birmingham and QPR (higher wage bills) have tried, failed, and now are just plodding along happy to finish anywhere between 21st and mid table. 

Sunderland, Hull, Portsmouth, Ipswich, Charlton, Blackpool, Wigan, all clubs that have been in the top flight within the last 20 years or so (from memory without checking dates of all), all find themselves at the level below us. All at some point, have tried to get back to the Prem, and failed drastically in some cases. These are examples of what happens when you push, fail, then just keep falling away from the rest, until eventually you drop out of this league.

It's really frustrating seeing clubs that don't have PP payments going for it and doing it, whilst we just "plod along" aiming/hoping for a playoff spot each year. However taking my supporters hat off, you can see why the club doesn't just push for it, especially after being burned the last time we were relegated from this league - high earners with contracts few wanted to take on.

Villa are another example of extremes. The last season they were at this level, there was serious talk of them being in dire trouble. They basically went for it, shit or bust, and look where they are now. I'd love us to be a "Villa type" by pushing the boat out and getting the end result (minus the financial issues they werelooking at), but I fear we would probably end up being the next "Derby type" if we were to try it.

Completely get what you're saying @glos old boy, but if we do get promotion at some point, I'm pretty sure it's going to be by being financially prudent, and savvy in the transfer market as well as the managerial position.

Financially prudent we may be, to an extent, savvy (on both points) is where I fear we fall short.

understand but when exactly are we going to be savvy in the managerial dept? an unproven manager is not really the choice to take us to the next level.....is it? seems like we are forever just marking time and SL is not confident in his own choices to take us to the next level.

So are we forever destined to just tread water and not go anywhere, the build slow plan is not working as recent accounts show. Why not get an exp manager and some decent players at least we will have some decent players to sell if it goes tits up.

9 hours ago, Bassomylord said:

I appreciate this is difficult for you to understand but we literally cannot sell Wells or Martin unless there is a club that is willing to take them on....it is simple.

"The fact is" - no facts here just your opinion, thanks for the questions though.

So it's an opinion that Fam is our best striker only if we ignore the facts. Please point me to the striker who has the best all round game for us if it isn't Fam??

Fam 134 games 42 goals = every 3.1 games

Wells 40 games 11 goals = every 3.6 games

Martin 26 games 3 goals = every 8.6 games

Those are all facts not opinions seeing as strikers are judged on goals even though this doesn't include everything else he brings to the team which is far more that Martin or Wells brings.

2 hours ago, glos old boy said:

understand but when exactly are we going to be savvy in the managerial dept? an unproven manager is not really the choice to take us to the next level.....is it? seems like we are forever just marking time and SL is not confident in his own choices to take us to the next level.

So are we forever destined to just tread water and not go anywhere, the build slow plan is not working as recent accounts show. Why not get an exp manager and some decent players at least we will have some decent players to sell if it goes tits up.

I honestly believe that Coppell was SL's "go for it option". We all know how that went, and because of that I don't think we will see an experienced been there before coach. 

Unless an absolutely exceptional manager becomes available at the same time we need a new one, we will always have the "up and coming coach". See also novice, rookie etc.

Tread water, slow build is the plan I feel, and in the process hope that we get lucky.

Archived