IGNORED

Glastonbury Festival

RedM

3 minutes ago, The Gasbuster said:

Well done Elton; a great send off

(not as good as Macca last year though)

Guests were disappointing 

Not sure. I think Elton edged that, his voice was fantastic. And I saw the Macca set live!

Agree on the guests though.

• Like 1

Given that you should never compare the sound of a studio album or video to a live performance, and given that he's now 76, that was a damn good gig. Only Bennie and the Jets and Sad Songs disappointed for me. Everything else was fully acceptable or significantly better, especially as he's had to adjust the songs to meet his ageing voice. 

It us clear from the atmosphere that the crowd were in no way disappointed. Those fortunate to be there have witnessed (probably) the last UK gig of a true global superstar. Not any star but a real superstar, selling over 300 million albums worldwide and having the most ever entries on the US Billboard 100 for a single artist.

The fireworks were apt. Way to go out with a bang. 

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

Given that you should never compare the sound of a studio album or video to a live performance, and given that he's now 76, that was a damn good gig. Only Bennie and the Jets and Sad Songs disappointed for me. Everything else was fully acceptable or significantly better, especially as he's had to adjust the songs to meet his ageing voice. 

It us clear from the atmosphere that the crowd were in no way disappointed. Those fortunate to be there have witnessed (probably) the last UK gig of a true global superstar. Not any star but a real superstar, selling over 300 million albums worldwide and having the most ever entries on the US Billboard 100 for a single artist.

The fireworks were apt. Way to go out with a bang. 

It's also worth mentioning that, apart from singing, he was playing incredible piano for over 90 minutes - and has been doing so for more than 300 shows in the past five years. A phenomenal achievement for a 76 year old!

• Like 4

On 24/06/2023 at 20:15, italian dave said:

I’m only watching from the comfort of my living room….but really enjoyed that set by the Ezra Collective. 

Glad you said this, they were a festival highlight for me.

Them, Tinariwen and The Comet Is Coming.

Oh, and The Hives of course, but I've seen them before.

Right now, I'm struggling to get back into work mode after living in an alternative universe for three days. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

The viewing figures for Elton John at Glastonbury are in, a staggering 7.3 million. To put this in context, last year Paul McCartney was watched by 2.5 million.

Maybe because BBC1 showed it?

1 hour ago, And Its Smith said:

The viewing figures for Elton John at Glastonbury are in, a staggering 7.3 million. To put this in context, last year Paul McCartney was watched by 2.5 million.

I chose to watch Alt-J at The Park, but when I got home, I put Mr Dwight on iPlayer and wasn't disappointed.  Friends at the Pyramid stage told me they were so far away due to the massive crowd that they couldn't the stage other than on the screens and the breeze made the audio hit-and-miss - but on TV, that came across as a great set.  One of Pilton's top Festival closing performances. 

16 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

I chose to watch Alt-J at The Park, but when I got home, I put Mr Dwight on iPlayer and wasn't disappointed.  Friends at the Pyramid stage told me they were so far away due to the massive crowd that they couldn't the stage other than on the screens and the breeze made the audio hit-and-miss - but on TV, that came across as a great set.  One of Pilton's top Festival closing performances. 

I found that with Macca last year, if you're too far away it's just not a great experience in my opinnion. You're almost just there for the sake of saying you were.
I saw some people say they'd been at the front since 9am to get their spot. That's some effort

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, TomF said:

We were very, very far back as we had a pregnant lass with us so chilled at back but audio was so good.  I think it varies which side of the pyramid you are on..  They also opened RowMead fully for first time so the cacpacity must of been 120k+ 

Not seen a crowd that big since Stones in 2013 and before that probs way back to the legendary Levellers set of 94.

Only 80K on site back then (OK, plus the ticketless) but probably fewer on the entire site in those days than in that one crowd.

For me, the crowd for Oasis and also REM were perhaps the biggest I'd been in.  Mrs Robbo reckons Kylie in 2019 was the biggest ever, but I wasn't there.  

6 minutes ago, TomF said:

I reckon there was 200k in that field that night, it was completely bedlam.

Kylie  was busy but nah not on par with last night or the Stones in 2013.   I would say only stones came close and that didn't have the extra capacity of last night so probably the biggest since the super fence.. I think before that its guess work.

Oasis reforming would probably challenge it thou.. 

Ner, don't think so Tom. I went to all the late 80s/90s Glastonbury's and although you can probably at least double official attendances I'd be stunned if 200,000 were in. I realise folk talk about 300,000 there, but it's really more into the late 90s you got crushes like that. You'd literally not fit 300K into the field as it was back then. You could walk round the festival, get places on benches, bump into friends and get beers without queues in the early 90s. There are patently many more on site these days, despite the perimeter expanding to take fields from two farms uninvolved pre-1997. 

2000 was when it reached its zenith of over-crowding. The site was full of Scouse and Manc thieves, dealers and pissed up beer monsters wanting fights. Getting from point A to B was an absolute 'mare unless you had a backstage pass and I really welcomed the wall and the enhanced security. It was either that or putting up roadblocks on the M6 north of Birmingham.

Not sure who I watched in 1994, but it wouldn't have been The Levellers. I have a hazy feeling Radiohead might've been on the NME stage (as then it was) at the same time. I'd have been there.