IGNORED

Super Fam, Pay the Man

1 minute ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Given we were paying Lois Diony £20k pw, I think £30k pw for Fam represents quite the bargain. 

Are you sure that we paid 20k a week for the ‘ Bull ‘ ?

A loan would imply that the parent club contribute to a player’s salary don’t they ?

At the time his club just wanted shot ( we had an option to buy ) and he wanted a new start . If he was on 20k here that would signal more than 20k for his normal wages which would seem huge money for a relatively poor ligue 1 club .

7 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

A very valid point. 

Hard to know what the situation will be, but there's bound to be a big effect on lots of clubs. 

The issue mainly being losing out best striker, with no time left to sign a replacement. 

Yes, we have other options remaining, but none have proven themselves (with us) as worthy long term replacements for one of our senior first team players. 

We got along fine without him before and will do again.

Not so long ago he wasn’t even a starter . 

1 hour ago, JonDolman said:

Still way too much, especially at the moment.

I don't think we have to replace him with a big name striker who demands big wages. 

We would currently have Wells, Semenyo and Martin.

We could just go one up top and might not need anyone to come in for now.

Or we could bring in a lower division striker with that money like maybe Jephcott.

Next season we might have Weimann back if contract option is taken by the club.

2 million now and potential bit extra in future with percentage of any profit or nothing in summer. I'd take the money.

This ?

1 hour ago, Rob k said:

You also back yourself to replace with someone else like Kodjia for a few million and hope to get some big money back 

And this ?

52 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

Am I being stupid to think it would be better to pay Fam £25k per week and pay him £2m to sign the thing than let him go on a free and have to spend more than £2m to replace him?

I’d that for a 3 year extension for sake of argument?  Assume you split the £2m over instalments, that’s £5.9m over 3 years....who then at 31 will probably walk for free.

Its an option Dave, undoubtedly.

But if MA’s recruitment / talent ID team is as high performing as he suggests then I would like to think we could get a player cheaper than that overall cost and also have resale value.  There may be free transfers available too.

MA tells us he knows the market.  On his head be it! ?

The interesting thing would be to see what proven strikers are out of contract this summer both in UK and europe and possibly pick one of those up. I wonder whether we've already got someone lined up and the supposed offer to Fam is a big one knowing he's no intention of taking it. Getting someone on a free makes that £30-£35k a week much more sustainable over say a 4 or 5 year contract. If they're proven, then there's resale value too...

16 minutes ago, Phillythe kid said:

The interesting thing would be to see what proven strikers are out of contract this summer both in UK and europe and possibly pick one of those up. I wonder whether we've already got someone lined up and the supposed offer to Fam is a big one knowing he's no intention of taking it. Getting someone on a free makes that £30-£35k a week much more sustainable over say a 4 or 5 year contract. If they're proven, then there's resale value too...

Then there’s Bell, Britton, Janneh ... are they potentially good enough to step up like the other youngsters ? 

paying Fam lots of money ? where do fans, posters on here, think the money is going to come from... Covid has stuffed football finances with zero income and who knows what will happen next season even.. talk of 50K PW at this level is total and utter fantasy. M'Boro paying that sort of money ?  Really...

MA and the club will never reveal what's been offered but if we are told its not going to get better then so be it... best of luck to the man.  We've seen it all before haven't we, never ends well... cannot believe we do not have a plan 'B'  Let him go, not inclined to sign lets get something for him at least..

29 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

Then there’s Bell, Britton, Janneh ... are they potentially good enough to step up like the other youngsters ? 

Conway seemingly on a similar trajectory to Bell, same age group, both on loan at Yate together, Conway went to Bath on loan this season 11 for them so far Gregor says and 2 for the 23's last night, Bell had 8 for 23's this season and top scorer in their league before training with the 1st team. Pearson was on loan at Bath last season and one of the ones Dean brought into 1st team training environment and bench appearances so wouldn't be unthinkable.

2 minutes ago, DT The Optimist said:

talk of 50K PW at this level is total and utter fantasy. M'Boro paying that sort of money ?  Really...

He was signed the summer Middlesbrough were relegated from the PL, armed with parachute payments I really wouldn't be shocked if he was grossly overpaid to try and fire them straight back

4 hours ago, Major Isewater said:

I think a Famaral has been fantastic. We haven’t played him to his strengths instead insisting that he’s the big man up front to hold up the play on his own .

He has added that to his game and is stronger for it but we saw glimpses of a very skillful , creative player at the beginning of his career with us and didn’t use it .

He appears to be more free in his play now and quite frankly is a joy to watch .

It would be typical for the player now to leave us and blossom elsewhere into a wireless ( or world beater as I wanted to say , thank you predicting smelling) . 

Sarcasm detector seems to have been broken on OTIB. I love fam and was pointing out the ridiculous statement that he has only done a job when the contract talks surfaced.

3 hours ago, ExiledAjax said:

Plain wrong.

Not sure if you're being sarcastic, but he's consistently had close to a 1 in 3 ratio for us.

2017/18 - 14 in 36 (0.38 per game)

2018/19 - 13 in 44 (0.3 per game)

2019/20 - 14 in 44 (0.32 per game)

2020/21 - 8 in 26 (so far 0.3 per game)

I won't set it out here but if you look at his scoring sequences as well then he's remarkably consistent. Rarely scores more than one in a game, rarely scores in consecutive games. Just metronomically taps in roughly one goal every 3 games.

This is the bloke that was player of the season last season, has been our top scorer for 2018/19, 2019/20 and currently for 2020/21. 

Of course he should be the top earner at the club. Give him a pissing contract.

Bud I was being sarcastic, IMO Fam is the best striker and in the top 5 best players at the club. I was pointing out that he has been consistent in the main stat of a striker. If you look through my post history relating to Fam I have always defended him and I think it's ridiculous that loads seem to think we will be in a better place when we lose him for nothing and nobody comes in to replace what the guy does for us on the pitch. 

13 minutes ago, collier said:

Bud I was being sarcastic, IMO Fam is the best striker and in the top 5 best players at the club. I was pointing out that he has been consistent in the main stat of a striker. If you look through my post history relating to Fam I have always defended him and I think it's ridiculous that loads seem to think we will be in a better place when we lose him for nothing and nobody comes in to replace what the guy does for us on the pitch. 

No worries. I thought you were of that mind, but couldn't be sure. Also, never pass up an opportunity to state Fam's ludicrously consistent and reliable goal-scoring record.

On 26/01/2021 at 21:29, AshtonRobin21 said:

I don't know if this has been mentioned anywhere else, but did anyone pick up on Kasey signalling to fam to sign the paper when celebrating the 2nd goal tonight? 

It was at the very end of the celebration, after the other players moved away. It seemed like Kasey was telling him that should have been Fam's celebration instead. 

I wasn't sure if I was reading too much into it (alongside Tinnion's tweets). 

Yes noticed it too. 

20 minutes ago, Redwhitepurple said:

. Playing slightly better simply because its money time, all footballers do it. Get rid. He doesnt wanna sign so jog on, a record transfer fee he has been a a failure. A mediocre player worth about 500k not 5.3mill! greedy git, move on donkey dave

He’s scored 1 in 3 in the Championship. He’s been a good signing overall especially considering he has played up top on his own a lot with pointless high balls punted at him - especially at home.

A few Derby fans are shall we say 'optimistic'...

Famara Diedhiou out of contract in the summer, 28, certainly fits the type of player we should be looking at imo.

Reportedly available for £2m, i reckon he could be available for less + addons

Only just this Monday paid the December wages??

Well they can’t afford to re new his contract so we have a lot less chance - he is a free transfer in the summer 

Is it the case that we can't afford or are we actually like most clubs in a bit of a wait and see- not least with March in mind.

Mostly due to their wage bill hitting £33.5m in 19/20 and presumably continued to rise this season.

Not sure it has...? We did have players leaving too- both some fairly expensive loanees and some sales/released. It could be the case that the sacking of LJ, Jamie McAllister- and the hiring of Downing and Simpson if accounted for in one hit might have pushed him up, certainly counts against FFP but not something we're likely to make a regular occurence.

I guess if the deferral carried over was paid this season, it could push up- but then that goes for many clubs.

That can't be true.  We're the only team in this league who do this kind of thing. All those half wits on twitter hoping we go bust for giving Rooney 250 k a week can't be wrong. We've also spent 100 million and sold nobody in 5 years, they can't be wrong can they.

A few on there seem to lack self-awareness with respect to their clubs own position- this poster using exaggeration for effect no doubt but...

Some sensible ones.

None of us really know the financial situation enough to make sweeping statements on whether or not we can bring anyone in. Wazza seemed adamant that he had players lined up...case of just wait and see....

Also see

we know that we couldnt pay the players until a good 3/4 weeks later. 

Rooney confirms the players have been paid their December wages. On the January wages: "We wait and see. The important thing, and all we can do, is focus on our football.

WR: The players I want to come in are still there. Hopefully in the next 24-48 hours we can do some business to get some in.

So according to Wayne’s interview they have paid for December, the embargo was lifted. However no indication they are getting paid in January or any indication they are not going to get paid. I’m fairly certain based on his comments we won’t sign anyone. 

Might be an outdated post, we'll soon see- but let's see if they can actually, you know, manage to fulfil their obligations in a timely manner this time! :laugh:

We wouldn't necessarily sell Diedhiou in January, certainly not to Derby before Saturday, ie playing us on Matchday 1 at new club- never mind the wages how sure would we be that they would be good for the fee??

7 hours ago, Redwhitepurple said:

. Playing slightly better simply because its money time, all footballers do it. Get rid. He doesnt wanna sign so jog on, a record transfer fee he has been a a failure. A mediocre player worth about 500k not 5.3mill! greedy git, move on donkey dave

Not taking the piss but have you actually watched City for the last four seasons? Literally every one of those seasons Famara has started slowly and come into form around December/January.

I've still got doubts as to whether Famara fits in with the tactics we'd ideally want to play if everyone is fit and I don't think we should break the bank to keep him, but he's not playing better around now because it's "money time". He's playing better around now because that's what has happened every other season too.

FWIW, I think he is a good - but not great - Championship level striker and his move has been a qualified success. I don't blame him at all for wanting to hold out for the best deal possible but I do wonder if the gamble will pay off in a deflated market and whether the offers of the wage he presumably wants will actually arrive even in the summer. 

8 hours ago, Redwhitepurple said:

Just be honest about the reason that you don't like him. Because it isn't anything to do with football, is it?

On 28/01/2021 at 23:49, Redwhitepurple said:

Worse post of the year contender, in fact IMO give it to him now nobody stupid enough to top this.

On 26/01/2021 at 20:19, David Brent said:

Or coincidence that Famara is hitting form when he’s been given a run in the team?

He has been the main man playing most games  since he arrived apart from this season  it could be coincidence he is playing well because the fans aren’t at the ground groaning and moaning every time he miss controlled a ball 

6 hours ago, Cobra72 said:

He has been the main man playing most games  since he arrived apart from this season  it could be coincidence he is playing well because the fans aren’t at the ground groaning and moaning every time he miss controlled a ball 

He has started the last 5, and scored 5. Prior to that, he didn’t start since Reading in November. 4 other starts for us. Definitely not been the main man this season. Should have been though

2 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Cut a very disinterested figure up top today.  Bloody frustrating.  Been playing well of late.

Back to usual form imo.

Trampoline boots, ambling about.

He's rightly got a lot of praise lately, so only fair he gets pelters when deserved - he was one of a few that didn't earn 10 bob today, let alone 10k.

5 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

I think play him on his own and have an extra body in midfield and we might have got a very different team performance today.

I have never been so sure Fam is as vital a player as some think, and actually can be pretty bad if not used correctly.

Today was an example of bad Fam, as was 60 odd minutes of Huddersfield game.

Warnock is after him to lead the line on his own, not play alongside a little pacy poacher.

Today’s performance wasn’t about formation it was totally about attitude....and he couldn’t be arsed today!

Gave us absolutely nothing.  And yet Wells was the one who was taken off.  He at least tried to make runs, give options, battle for balls.

I’m probably way off the mark, but today is the kinda performance I fear we will see if he gets his £30k pw contract.

Unpopular, but I’d be phoning up Warnock tonight.

Archived