IGNORED

Henri Lansbury

Fordy62

Not bowled over by this rumour. 

The player Dr Tony made Villa’s highest earner during his crazy spending period.

Villa fan’s aren’t enamoured. 

However if it’s a loan, his contract is up the summer (IIRC) and he is 30, so he’s playing for a contract somewhere, so should be motivated to work his arse off at least. 

1 hour ago, tin said:

He certainly fits the bill for an Ashton-type signing, eg over 30 with no scope for development or resale value. 

Here's the Birmingham Live story

Personally, I'd be astonished if this is true. Holden said talks are ongoing with one player and it's clear we need cover at left-back. 

Thats not an Ashton-type signing at all?

10 minutes ago, DaveF said:

Thats not an Ashton-type signing at all?

If that's your opinion, fine, but the last five permanent signings we’ve made (according to Transfermarkt) were:

• Mariappa - 34 - signed November 2020
  • Brunt - 36 - signed September 2020
  • Martin - 32 - September 2020
  • Williams - 23 - August 2020
  • Wells - 30 - January 2020.

The average age of the last five permanent signings we’ve made - 31. 

4 hours ago, JonDolman said:

If this is the one signing we are making, then that would mean we are happy with Rowe and Mariappa as our left backs until Nurse is back in a month or so, or possibly Dasilva back at some point but not any time soon. Nurse might even be behind Mapps at the moment.

To be fair Mariappa played well at left back the other night. Not really great to see going forward though with him not being a left footer that could put in a quick cross when on the overlap.

I think left back is more important than the positions Lansbury can play. 

Dont forget Pring who I would put ahead of all the above except DaSilva.

42 starts in the last 5 and a half seasons. 
That’s basically not even 1 full seasons starts in over 5 years. 

Good luck to him. Hope he does well. He’s definitely been a very good player in the past. Over 30 and very expensive wage. Given our financial situation, I’m quite honestly very surprised at this. But hopefully he has the quality to fire us to the premier league (otherwise it’s an unnecessary waste of money). 

I feel relatively positive about this -  could turn out to be a missing piece of the jigsaw if we can keep Famara until the end of the season & add an LB on loan. 

We've been missing some vital experience in midfield & Lansbury will need to put himself in the shop window if he's OOC at end of the season. On his day, when fit at this level he's a quality player.

Aston Villa manager Dean Smith talking today - when asked about newspaper speculation linking Henri Lansbury with a move to Ashton Gate: "No, I've not spoken to anybody at Bristol City at the moment. I know Dean Holden very well... Henri is available if anybody comes in for him"

37 minutes ago, Harry said:

Good luck to him. Hope he does well. He’s definitely been a very good player in the past. Over 30 and very expensive wage. Given our financial situation, I’m quite honestly very surprised at this. But hopefully he has the quality to fire us to the premier league (otherwise it’s an unnecessary waste of money). 

Depends on the % of wages we are paying. Zero chance it will be 100%

47 minutes ago, Harry said:

I was about to post something very similar about his appearances, availability and cost over the last 4 or 5 years. Would be a strange signing for me. 

Given the players we have recalled, and that we have Paterson and Williams coming back from injury, Midfield options suddenly seem okay so I personally think that the money (and although I can't see us paying all his wages, I can't see it being cheap either) would be better off used elsewhere. 

14 minutes ago, westonred said:
Aston Villa manager Dean Smith talking today - when asked about newspaper speculation linking Henri Lansbury with a move to Ashton Gate: "No, I've not spoken to anybody at Bristol City at the moment. I know Dean Holden very well... Henri is available if anybody comes in for him"

Probably because he’s washed his hands of him and is happy for him to go anywhere you’d think

4 minutes ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

Have we chucked in the use of Chris Brunt`s driver as a sweetener...............................................

I`m not sure what to think about this one if I`m honest - I suppose it shows the club aren`t writing the season off if we sign him.

8 points off automatic. 3 points off play offs. 21 games remaining. Personally I would think it madness for any club in our position to be writing off the season. 

50 minutes ago, Harry said:

He shouldn’t be worn out then.

Check his Arsenal for splinters at his medical.

5 minutes ago, sludge said:

8 points off automatic. 3 points off play offs. 21 games remaining. Personally I would think it madness for any club in our position to be writing off the season. 

Oh I know and we shouldn`t be but I`ve been treating this season as a bit of a `holding` one TBH with everything that`s gone on. I fully expected to finish somewhere between ninth and fourteenth and then go again next season.

The club won`t be though I guess and signings like this should reassure me they aren`t.

4 minutes ago, ciderwithtommy said:

If, and it’s a big if, we don’t bring in a left back then how can anyone be happy with this? 

Not to worried about LB if Tommy Rowe is fit with Mariappa as back up. What we have needed is a driving force in midfield we haven't had since Brownhill left us so yes i would be happy with this 

I simply refuse to believe this. FFS. Where do we have the most cover? Midfield. 

The only thing stopping offering Walsh a contract is finances and we’re all set to sign the biggest championship prima-donna In history who’s hardly gonna come cheap. 

Brilliant. 

5 minutes ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

Oh I know and we shouldn`t be but I`ve been treating this season as a bit of a `holding` one TBH with everything that`s gone on. I fully expected to finish somewhere between ninth and fourteenth and then go again next season.

The club won`t be though I guess and signings like this should reassure me they aren`t.

At the end of the day, covid or not, Holden or not, 3 teams will still get promoted and 3 teams relegated ?

Archived