IGNORED

In most games we have a good spell

Top Robin

I think many of us would agree that in most games this season we have had good periods of play where sometimes we have looked amazing - so I guess there is a decent team in there somewhere.

The trouble is that it is always temporary - sometimes 15 minutes like today and sometimes a half.

Why can't we just play like that for longer - what is causing us to go from a promotion looking team to a Div 2 team in a the space of few minutes.

We never seem to have control of a game, ever. We also don’t have the credentials to grab a game by the neck when going behind. We just let the games slip away from us too easily.

We can’t rely on 10-15 minute spells, it’s not sustainable. 

9 minutes ago, Top Robin said:

I think many of us would agree that in most games this season we have had good periods of play where sometimes we have looked amazing - so I guess there is a decent team in there somewhere.

The trouble is that it is always temporary - sometimes 15 minutes like today and sometimes a half.

Why can't we just play like that for longer - what is causing us to go from a promotion looking team to a Div 2 team in a the space of few minutes.

Lack of concentration, Lack of confidence and Lack of quality coaching and tactics IMHO?

20 minutes ago, Lew-T said:

We never seem to have control of a game, ever. We also don’t have the credentials to grab a game by the neck when going behind. We just let the games slip away from us too easily.

We can’t rely on 10-15 minute spells, it’s not sustainable. 

Hmm, it's variable- do we do it enough no?

Points gained from losing positions this season- off the top of my head:

1. Barnsley Away- 2 dropped or 1 gained, debatable but we did concede first. We also missed quite a few chances when ahead.
  2. Swansea Home- Point gained.
  3. Huddersfield Away- 1-0 down, to 2-1 up.
  4. QPR Away- Ditto.

That said, this was mostly, with the exception of the last, up to early November.

Just now, Mr Popodopolous said:

Hmm, it's variable- do we do it enough no?

Points gained from losing positions this season- off the top of my head:

1. Barnsley Away- 2 dropped or 1 gained, debatable but we did concede first.
  2. Swansea Home- Point gained.
  3. Huddersfield Away- 1-0 down, to 2-1 up.
  4. QPR Away- Ditto.

That said, this was mostly, with the exception of the last, up to early November.

Semenyo changed the game alone at Huddersfield. QPR, yes we were much better when going behind but others?

It’s been pretty soft and passive otherwise.

4 minutes ago, Lew-T said:

Semenyo changed the game alone at Huddersfield. QPR, yes we were much better when going behind but others?

It’s been pretty soft and passive otherwise.

Those are the only 4 I think- Barnsley is quite a tricky away game and not least for us- wasn't it a 10th minute of stoppage time penalty or something daft that stopped that being another turnaround?

On the flipside, I believe we have won every game in which we have scored first- that's a fairly startling stat.

@Silvio Dante Kalas can- at International level he does cross halfway, can be quite attacking from CB. Whether he is deployed that way here, is a different debate.

FWIW, I've had a quick look- it's more points than Brentford have gained from losing positions, and about equal to Norwich and Swansea- so it's actually not bad, would we have done it last season?

For me it’s simple.

When you play negatively, as we do, every now and again a player will go against the plan. Today, bizarrely, it was Kalas. Two or three times he did a long carry deep into Derby territory. I can’t believe that was the plan, but clearly he wanted to take the game by the scruff of the neck. 

As for when the whole team goes - today it was the 10-15 minutes pre HT.   Some of that was undoubtedly due to Derby being shaken by the Bielik injury, but it still wasn’t a “great spell”, it was average. And in second half, we went back to the plan.

Ultimately the manager controls the plan, good or bad. It’s at his door.

Has anyone else noticed our counter attack play has been literally nothing? It feels like instead of getting the ball forward after winning it in our half the plan is just to retain stable control and work it forward from the back at all costs. 

Really wish we could reinstall the 2017/18 season counterattacking play we had :( was so exciting 

11 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Those are the only 4 I think- Barnsley is quite a tricky away game and not least for us- wasn't it a 10th minute of stoppage time penalty or something daft that stopped that being another turnaround?

On the flipside, I believe we have won every game in which we have scored first- that's a fairly startling stat.

@Silvio Dante Kalas can- at International level he does cross halfway, can be quite attacking from CB. Whether he is deployed that way here, is a different debate.

FWIW, I've had a quick look- it's more points than Brentford have gained from losing positions, and about equal to Norwich and Swansea- so it's actually not bad, would we have done it last season?

Two points:

Kalas can- at International level he does cross halfway, can be quite attacking from CB. Whether he is deployed that way here, is a different debate. TBH that’s exactly my point. He can do that, but he doesn’t for us. That has to be tactical and in common with the rest of the team, IMO, he’s being deployed in an ultra negative way. And as Holden makes a big deal of being a fan, it makes me wonder what he’s a fan of!

That looks like a suspicious stat to me. My question is how often those teams have gone behind. I’m saying it’s far less than us, so naturally the opportunity to gain points is less. Your more appropriate stat is what percentage of turnarounds they’ve achieved. 

4 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

Two points:

Kalas can- at International level he does cross halfway, can be quite attacking from CB. Whether he is deployed that way here, is a different debate. TBH that’s exactly my point. He can do that, but he doesn’t for us. That has to be tactical and in common with the rest of the team, IMO, he’s being deployed in an ultra negative way. And as Holden makes a big deal of being a fan, it makes me wonder what he’s a fan of!

That looks like a suspicious stat to me. My question is how often those teams have gone behind. I’m saying it’s far less than us, so naturally the opportunity to gain points is less. Your more appropriate stat is what percentage of turnarounds they’ve achieved. 

I do think we could deploy players more positively and in a more suitable manner. As I did last season. More control would be nice, bit more stability too- as well as shots on goal- how we're set up often doesn't seem ideal to me.

Okay that's a different way of looking at it- the basic metric though, pts gained from a losing position one site has 4th in that respect but who knows- seems less commonplace this season anyway at this level, across the board and again I query whether we would have made all 4 of the turnarounds last year- on the flipside, when we've scored first I think we've gone on to win every time.

For all sides scoring first is important but for us, the first goal really seems to be vital.

9 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

I do think we could deploy players more positively and in a more suitable manner. As I did last season. More control would be nice, bit more stability too- as well as shots on goal- how we're set up often doesn't seem ideal to me.

Okay that's a different way of looking at it- the basic metric though, pts gained from a losing position one site has 4th in that respect but who knows- seems less commonplace this season anyway at this level, across the board and again I query whether we would have made all 4 of the turnarounds last year- on the flipside, when we've scored first I think we've gone on to win every time.

For all sides scoring first is important but for us, the first goal really seems to be vital.

I think it does - and it narked me on Robins TV how Toby kept saying how we were a great comeback team when I really don’t see that. By nature though, the better a team you are, the less likely you are to concede. So we’ve probably turned around more games than Man City this year! Again, not a stat I’d hang my hat on.

1 hour ago, Top Robin said:

I must have blinked too much as I missed it today!

4 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Energy levels up top I think is one reason. Today we seemed happy to sit back in a compact 442 and they just pinged a ball out to the left a quick cross and goal. So obviously didnt work.

Huddersfield we were on the front foot and were brilliant first 20 odd minutes, then intensity dropped, Fam, Palmer, Bakinson, and suddenly it was quite easy for Huddersfield to play it into advanced areas.

Had we strengthened the midfield from a position of strength, Huddersfield might have gained a bit less of a foothold? Easy to say in hindsight, of course.

11 hours ago, Top Robin said:

Please explain your understanding of the word "Amazing" in relation to football.

You must be watching a different football club to most of us. Passing the ball ten yards to a colleague, shooting on target, winning a throw in, are not amazing actions.

Words beginning with letter A like abysmal, awful, come to mind not "amazing".

13 hours ago, Top Robin said:

I’ll have an 1/8 of that gear mate if you’ve got any left

Archived