IGNORED

Dean Holden post Cardiff

Jerseybean

Dean Holden’s post Cardiff interview, you are invited to add your own concluding paragraph.

I’d like to apologise to our fans for that performance, it was unacceptable and simply not good enough.

When I was appointed I made clear my delight at being given the opportunity and stressed that I would be as honest as possible, you may remember that at the time others labeled me a ‘good human being’.

It is time to be honest with myself and the fans.

Managing at this level is beyond me although of course  my passion and desire to learn and succeed remain undiminished. However, throughout my tenure we have failed to progress and as was the case yet again today our performances have been very poor. Furthermore, we have, in my honest opinion, won a number of games against the balance of play; away at Cardiff and QPR being but two examples.

Throughout my career and certainly during this season I have not looked for excuses and as I have previously stated I always look for the positives. Nevertheless, it is clear that the squad has been decimated by injuries this season and I am faced with managing a depleted team, which means having to adapt and have players out of position. After another woeful performance even I am struggling to see any positives.

Consequently, following today’s game I have spoken to Mark Ashton....

1. He made clear that whatever happens I am safe in this job, at least until the end of the season. He explained that largely this is due to the huge financial impact of the current situation on our club and football in general.

2. He informed me that following the game Steve Lansdown contacted him and it has been agreed that, by mutual consent, I am stepping down as Head Coach with immediate effect.

3.  I explained to him that I was tendering my resignation as the Club needs to plan for next  season and the time to do that is now.

4. Your turn ?

Pre match quote:

The Head Coach told Robins TV: “I can’t wait – this is what football is about, a local derby against your rivals in a big part of the season. It’s a big one for the supporters and the players are well aware of that. We’ll be looking to start fast, making sure we are strong in the tackle and get a tempo to our game.

“If you can’t be up for a battle with your neighbours from across the bridge then there’s something wrong.”

1 minute ago, daored said:

Pre match quote:

The Head Coach told Robins TV: “I can’t wait – this is what football is about, a local derby against your rivals in a big part of the season. It’s a big one for the supporters and the players are well aware of that. We’ll be looking to start fast, making sure we are strong in the tackle and get a tempo to our game.

“If you can’t be up for a battle with your neighbours from across the bridge then there’s something wrong.”

Says it all.....unable to motivate the players - that performance was bereft of ideas and a definite sign that the players aren’t playing for the Head Coach.

4 minutes ago, daored said:

Pre match quote:

Well he got that right, there is something wrong, starting with the head coach

17 minutes ago, daored said:

Pre match quote:

That's it: under promise, and over deliver. Oh, wait ...

23 minutes ago, daored said:

Pre match quote:

So as we weren't up for it presumably he will now admit there is something wrong.

7 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

As a person he really does seem like a fantastic guy and probably the most likeable city manager I can ever remember. So so desperate for him to be the one that succeeds here.

He has done some good, positive things but it's such a shame he seems to have lost the plot a bit in his decisions. 

The 352 at the start of the season I think was working so well and it's such a shame injuries meant he couldn't really continue making that work. 

Injuries have been a huge problem. But we still have a very decent squad of players and there looks no cohesion on the pitch. He is doing things that makes me think what is he seeing there in doing that. 

I wouldn't get rid now. But he needs to start demonstrating better coaching to be our head coach. 

I think the same thing as you, I really like Holden as a guy and I really want him to succeed.

But this isn’t a charity. This a multimillion pound results based business. Cut throat, ruthless, sink or swim. That’s why they get paid the big bucks.

Add to that the fact he is choosing taking his first major managerial position in one of, if not the toughest league in the world.

He needs to step up big time and quickly - the league table might say things are ‘OK’ - the form table and the football do not.

Sentiment only goes so far in football and frankly Bristol City is ultimately more important to me personally than Dean Holden’s feelings. Harsh to say, but that’s the reality.

EDIT - I’d also add, I’m sure Holden is hurting and also working his arse off too and I credit him for that, but I go back to the crux of my post...results and performances.

2 minutes ago, 2015 said:

Looked a bit uncomfortable to me and running out of excuses to come out with for poor performances.

I'd hedge a bet he'd be more likely to resign than be sacked.

He’s had to come out and make ‘excuses’ for losing for the last 8 of 12 games. No matter what you say it sounds hollow and even he is probably sick of the spin he has to produce.

“We go again” - lovely positivity in theory, but it only works for a very short while until you sound like some clueless hippy monk.

2 minutes ago, Alessandro said:

He’s had to come out and make ‘excuses’ for losing for the last 8 of 12 games. No matter what you say it sounds hollow and even he is probably sick of the spin he has to produce.

“We go again” - lovely positivity in theory, but it only works for a very short while until you sound like some clueless hippy monk.

It's just an empty phrase. The first two times it's used, fair enough. It's meaningless now and it's kind of like he thinks we'll be on board with it, but we are no mugs, it's just pointless managerial speak now

2 minutes ago, Alessandro said:

We go again, unfortunately its against Sheff Utd and like Millwall,Rotherham and Cardiff do LOVE a tackle so it doesn't bode well for our bunch of lightweights.

Cant see anything but a heavy defeat, witch will be a nice warm up for Watford at the weekend.

9 minutes ago, Alessandro said:

I think the same thing as you, I really like Holden as a guy and I really want him to succeed.

But this isn’t a charity. This a multimillion pound results based business. Cut throat, ruthless, sink or swim. That’s why they get paid the big bucks.

Add to that the fact he is choosing taking his first major managerial position in one of, if not the toughest league in the world.

He needs to step up big time and quickly - the league table might say things are ‘OK’ - the form table and the football do not.

Sentiment only goes so far in football and frankly Bristol City is ultimately more important to me personally than Dean Holden’s feelings. Harsh to say, but that’s the reality.

EDIT - I’d also add, I’m sure Holden is hurting and also working his arse off too and I credit him for that, but I go back to the crux of my post...results and performances.

He needs to accept he doesn't have the experience to manage a top end Championsip team and gracefully tender his resignation. However, do I trust Ashton or Lansdown to appoint someone with experience? Umm, no.

39 minutes ago, Sheltons Army said:

Today was a ‘turning point’ apparently , whatever he means by that

Last week against Derby he said the same things "we didn't match them and the performance was nowhere good enough"

So they obviously listened to you this week then when you used your motivational techniques to "come out of the blocks fast, as its a derby" They didn't listen to you again, then.

You naively play three up top but rarely get the ball to them in the systems you use.

1 hour ago, Red Shadow said:

However, do I trust Ashton or Lansdown to appoint someone with experience? Umm, no.

Correct. Not too bothered about the experience, although it would be good. Just appoint someone who is right for moving us on and up even though they might be a little 'difficult' to deal with. Not consistently appointing someone who is wrong and doesn't move us on and up. If that person improves the team and results and can get us up that's the key quality. Nothing else matters.

Archived