IGNORED

Tony Collins, RIP.

Roger Red Hat

A tribute from Sir Alex Ferguson.

'A true pioneer': Tony Collins, Football League's first black manager, dies at 94 | Football | The Guardian

'A true pioneer': Tony Collins, Football League's first black manager, dies at 94

Sir Alex Ferguson has led the tributes to Tony Collins, the first black manager in English league football, who has died aged 94.

Collins was appointed as Rochdale manager in 1960 and two years later took the club to the only major final in their history, in the League Cup. He went on to work as a scout for managers including Ferguson and Don Revie.

Collins had been a winger for teams including Rochdale, Watford and Crystal Palace, where he became the club’s first black player in 1957. He managed Rochdale, initially while playing, until 1967 but worked again as a manager only as caretaker in 1980 at Bristol City, where he had been chief scout and assistant.

Collins scouted for various clubs, notably for Revie at Leeds and for Ron Atkinson and Ferguson at Manchester United, where the players he brought in included Lee Sharpe. When Revie became England manager he employed Collins to provide dossiers on the opposition.

Ferguson said: “I was really saddened to hear the news about Tony and send my deepest condolences to all of his family.

“One of my earliest recollections of Tony was of the very impressive job he did as manager of Rochdale, beating Blackburn to reach the 1962 League Cup final. I then got to know Tony personally when I joined Manchester United and Tony was the chief scout. As well as being a valuable, knowledgeable and respected scout, he had such an engaging personality and I always enjoyed our conversations.”

Ferguson was speaking in his capacity as a board member of the League Managers Association, whose chairman, Howard Wilkinson, said: “Tony was a true pioneer of the sport. He was humble, hospitable, he had tremendous insight and was always generous with his time. His passion for football was so evident when you met him and he had some remarkable stories and memories to share.

“Above all, he should be remembered and revered for his achievements on and off the pitch. He was known throughout the game for his ability to recognise and nurture talent, a skill which enabled him to have a huge impact on the lives of others.”

The Nottingham Forest manager, Chris Hughton, said: “Tony has always been an inspiration to me as I continue alongside my colleagues to campaign to see more diversity in management and coaching across the game. He will be very sorely missed.”

49 minutes ago, BRIAN WILSON said:

If i recall (please correct me) he was assistant to AD for the duration of our 1st Division days 

From Wikipedia

After leaving Rochdale, Collins worked as chief scout for Bristol City and then under manager Don Revie at Leeds United. When Revie became manager of the England national team, Collins worked with him compiling dossiers on opponents; the press dubbed Collins "Football's Superspy" when one was leaked to the press before a match against Scotland.[3] He rejoined Bristol City as assistant manager to Alan Dicks in 1976, leaving the club in September 1980 after a brief spell as caretaker manager. 

6 hours ago, Major Isewater said:

He was an important part of the club. If memory serves he had something to do with the SuperBob transfer . 

My condolences to his family and loved ones.

Major, don't forget that Tony discovered our very own Gerry Gow, and also Tom and Steve Ritchie and a lad who almost made in it Billy Menmuir. All four travelled down from Glasgow on the same train arriving at Temple Meads together in 1968 aged 16 years old. I had the privilege of meeting Tony and inviting him back to Bristol in November 2012 when he was guest of honor at Gerry's Testimonial dinner. He explained to us that he had noticed Gerry playing on the ash pitches in Glasgow and doing sliding tackles, afterwards picking the ash from his legs and carrying on playing and Tony thought if he can do that on ash what can he do on grass?  Tony was an important part of City's success in the 1970's. We owe Tony a debt of gratitude for finding not only Gerry for us by of course also the  great Tom Ritchie. Tony was Alan Dicks man in the North and was in the main responsible in putting together the mix of Scottish lads including Gerry Sweeny from Greenock Morton, and Brian Drysdale from Hartlepool. He also almost signed Brian Robson (West Brom and Man Utd) for us at a meeting on the M5.

Tony was a great scout and we will remember him fondly. RIP Tony.

9 hours ago, Eastendboy1965 said:

Major, don't forget that Tony discovered our very own Gerry Gow, and also Tom and Steve Ritchie and a lad who almost made in it Billy Menmuir. All four travelled down from Glasgow on the same train arriving at Temple Meads together in 1968 aged 16 years old. I had the privilege of meeting Tony and inviting him back to Bristol in November 2012 when he was guest of honor at Gerry's Testimonial dinner. He explained to us that he had noticed Gerry playing on the ash pitches in Glasgow and doing sliding tackles, afterwards picking the ash from his legs and carrying on playing and Tony thought if he can do that on ash what can he do on grass?  Tony was an important part of City's success in the 1970's. We owe Tony a debt of gratitude for finding not only Gerry for us by of course also the  great Tom Ritchie. Tony was Alan Dicks man in the North and was in the main responsible in putting together the mix of Scottish lads including Gerry Sweeny from Greenock Morton, and Brian Drysdale from Hartlepool. He also almost signed Brian Robson (West Brom and Man Utd) for us at a meeting on the M5.

Tony was a great scout and we will remember him fondly. RIP Tony.

Thanks Eastendboy for that info. It shows how little info ever got out to the fans.

I just remember him as one who worked with AD at City for a long time during which we, as a club, did very well.

As for his ethnicity, not a clue about his origins. But then I've never been one to take much notice of skin colour, religion and so on. 

So thanks to Tony Collins for his contribution to the BCFC family and condolences to his family.

On 08/02/2021 at 18:25, BRIAN WILSON said:

Do you know what, and i mean this hand on heart and with no racist thought - He (in my eyes) never looked black, more mediterranean 

Same here.

I recall TC always being around in some capacity or other in his training kit and my uncle (who knew him,) telling me he always had 'a good eye for a player'. Great servant to the club, a much overused term though not in TC's case.

Like you I had to do a double take a few years back when articles began to reference TC as a pioneering black manager. Not skin colour has sweet FA to do with anything but I'd never heard anybody at City associate him with that term. I always assumed he had a healthy, outdoor, coaching complection,  watching hundreds of matches in all weathers from the sidelines. Just struck me he was that type of football direhard.

A life well lived.

On 08/02/2021 at 18:25, BRIAN WILSON said:

Do you know what, and i mean this hand on heart and with no racist thought - He (in my eyes) never looked black, more mediterranean 

According to wiki:

Tony Collins was born in Kensington, London, on 19 March 1926 to a 17-year-old unmarried white mother. His father, who was black, was not named on the birth certificate.

RIP.

Really didn’t know what a contribution he had made to the club. Given this and his status as a pioneer would be nice to see something on the OS? Not a dig at the OS btw, just seems appropriate.

And possibly how about a minute’s silence tonight or Saturday, given applause is a no no presently? Would seem a respectful touch especially given the sport’s attempts to try and fight discrimination?

1 hour ago, steveybadger said:

Really didn’t know what a contribution he had made to the club. Given this and his status as a pioneer would be nice to see something on the OS? Not a dig at the OS btw, just seems appropriate.

And possibly how about a minute’s silence tonight or Saturday, given applause is a no no presently? Would seem a respectful touch especially given the sport’s attempts to try and fight discrimination?

https://www.bcfc.co.uk/news/tony-collins-1926-2021/

Archived