IGNORED

Sunderland fans loving POMO’s and USP’s

NickJ

13 hours ago, Portland Bill said:

It’s a clear trait of any LJ side that they go into a steady decline during the second half of a season.

The proof is there for all to see!.

Sunderland weren’t on a steady decline though when they sacked him, yes they got dicked by Bolton but they were top the week before and LJ was reigning manager of the month!  Crazy decision to sack him

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Portland Bill said:

But LJ did, and was doing it at Sunderland as well. Perhaps they realised earlier than our owner, that he’s just not good enough as a coach/ manager.

I saw a couple of his interviews prior to his sacking and he wasn’t really doing that anymore. He apologised unreservedly for that Bolton defeat and took responsibility.

It’s not like the times here where he blamed players (ie Taylor Moore post Ipswich). 

He does seem to be a bit more self aware than he was here.

17 hours ago, RedLionLad said:

Actually, facts say different. LJ improved us year on year.

2015/16 : Won 13 : Pts 52 : Pos 18th
2016/17 : Won 15 : Pts 54 : Pos 17th
2017/18 : Won 17 : Pts 67 : Pos 11th
2018/19 : Won 19 : Pts 70 : Pos 8th  (19 winning games in a season is the highest since 2007/08 since his father won 20, albeit in League One}

We've not improved on those figures since he was dismissed, and neither have Sunderland since his dismissal there.

The facts are there for all to see......except for those who choose not to.

17 hours ago, RedLionLad said:

Ok, fair point......but the final points total remains the same irrespective to which part of the season they were gained.

There are other factors to consider, such as injuries, stronger teams dropping down from the Prem, teams strengthening their squads in January and mid-table teams with not much to play for. We also sold a fair number of players during that period,

I clearly stated the second half of seasons!

You can make all the excuses possible to give, but as a Bristol City manager he was given more money to spend, than quite possibly every previous manager spend put together.

He has done absolutely nothing during his management career, except a league cup semi final, and this was the only period of time as City manager he was was forced ( by injuries) to take ‘tinker’ with the team!.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Tinmans Love Child said:

Sunderland weren’t on a steady decline though when they sacked him, yes they got dicked by Bolton but they were top the week before and LJ was reigning manager of the month!  Crazy decision to sack him

I find it incredible that some fans think it was the right decision.

19 hours ago, RedLionLad said:

Actually, facts say different. LJ improved us year on year.

2015/16 : Won 13 : Pts 52 : Pos 18th
2016/17 : Won 15 : Pts 54 : Pos 17th
2017/18 : Won 17 : Pts 67 : Pos 11th
2018/19 : Won 19 : Pts 70 : Pos 8th  (19 winning games in a season is the highest since 2007/08 since his father won 20, albeit in League One}

We've not improved on those figures since he was dismissed, and neither have Sunderland since his dismissal there.

The facts are there for all to see......except for those who choose not to.

Shudder, please don’t remind us of somehow finishing 11th in 17/18

or beating derby in February and being 3 points off of second.

Im sure we were even in the playoffs in 19/20 at some point.

So much at his disposal yet so many capitulations.

Edited by 054123
  • Like 5
  • Flames 2

2 hours ago, Portland Bill said:

I clearly stated the second half of seasons!

You can make all the excuses possible to give, but as a Bristol City manager he was given more money to spend, than quite possibly every previous manager spend put together.

He has done absolutely nothing during his management career, except a league cup semi final, and this was the only period of time as City manager he was was forced ( by injuries) to take ‘tinker’ with the team!.

I find the final paragraph there so naive.  Football is more than promotions and silverware. One can do well without taking a club to promotion. 

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

12 hours ago, Tinmans Love Child said:

I think the sacking was harsh, but didn't the teams below have 2-3 games in hand when they were top which does slightly alter the situation imo. 

21 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

I find the final paragraph there so naive.  Football is more than promotions and silverware. One can do well without taking a club to promotion. 

Yes , like leaving a club in a healthier place than you found it.

Or leaving it with a dreadful mish mash of a overbloated disenchanted squad , lacking character and leaders , and creating the foundations of a big financial hole

Johnson / Ashton blew our best opportunity to push on for a decade 

• Like 7

5 minutes ago, Sheltons Army said:

Yes , like leaving a club in a healthier place than you found it.

Or leaving it with a dreadful mish mash of a overbloated disenchanted squad , lacking character and leaders , and creating the foundations of a big financial hole

Johnson / Ashton blew our best opportunity to push on for a decade 

Pretty much every manager gets sacked in the end

12 hours ago, Phileas Fogg said:

I saw a couple of his interviews prior to his sacking and he wasn’t really doing that anymore. He apologised unreservedly for that Bolton defeat and took responsibility.

It’s not like the times here where he blamed players (ie Taylor Moore post Ipswich). 

He does seem to be a bit more self aware than he was here.

And TBF to him he called Moore correctly, the guy is a disaster waiting to happen ?.

But then he was also part of the management team that brought him in so takes some responsibility. I'm still very interested in how much control and input he had into each signing. Brownhill & Webster seem like his signings, he asked for a pre season with KP and got it to not much benefit, but there also seems like a bunch of players that didn't fit the way he wanted to play and I can't for the life of me understand why he would have agreed to sign them.

39 minutes ago, Pezo said:

And TBF to him he called Moore correctly, the guy is a disaster waiting to happen ?.

But then he was also part of the management team that brought him in so takes some responsibility. I'm still very interested in how much control and input he had into each signing. Brownhill & Webster seem like his signings, he asked for a pre season with KP and got it to not much benefit, but there also seems like a bunch of players that didn't fit the way he wanted to play and I can't for the life of me understand why he would have agreed to sign them.

He didn’t get a pre-season with KP. Was signed the Thursday before the season started. 
But in answer to wider question of how much control he had - I’ll answer that with 2 words : very little. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1