IGNORED

Martin out for 12 weeks . . .

AshtonRobin21

Just now, Superjack said:

Like I said, I'm not having a go, but "I don't think we'll miss him much.... Hopefully comes back strong for next season" is pretty contradictory.

I just found it amusing.

I didn’t take it as you having a go, don’t worry I’m not that precious. 

I don’t think those two lines are particularly contradictory though.

But fair enough!

1 hour ago, markcarter said:

12 weeks takes us to 7 May.

Any chance he’ll be back for the final match of the season on 8 May in which Brentford confirm the Championship for them and our relegation to League One?

Or given recent injury recoveries, is it more likely to be May 2022 for the match when Rovers send us down to League Two?

You can only hope?.

14 minutes ago, Galley is our king said:

How can they "send us down" they will already be there!!!!!!

Looking at his recent posts I might replace they with you!!

3 hours ago, Carey 6 said:

In what way? I do think he played well for the first 5/6 games when it was a front 2 of him & Wells. I just think he’s been poor ever since. 

Could it be that we overplayed him?

I certainly think we did. He had some kind of medical issue on joining us, according to the Derby forum.

Further reading on there suggests Cocu managed him very well between August and suspension in March due to Covid..but in the latter stages of the resumption he was just thrown in and got progressively less effective.

Martin isn't, wasn't a player you can play into the ground in normal times, Covid seasons only exacerbate this.

I was hoping we might have analysed how Cocu managed his fitness at Derby and done likewise or similar anyway. 

If you play Martin he's not one who would play flat out or lead the press. Strikes me as a decent pivot, link man- lots of energy around him, clever player, but not high energy. Over 30 too, should be factored in. 

Have to use players like him smartly IMO. Worth noting he didn't get injured once at Derby last season, was their leading scorer with several assists too. One quick search suggests 12 and 7 respectively. Smart player and effective...if used correctly.

Seems he spent a month or 2 building up fitness at the start of last season but not much in the way of injuries thereafter.

1 minute ago, Red Alert said:

Yes, I really think Delano rinsed him when it was obvious to us all he was getting slower game by game.

*Deano

Yep. That should have been a warning sign for taking out of the firing line for a while, combined with rebuilding fitness- subject to Covid restrictions of course. We used him a bit more sparingly in January but was it too late?

Archived