IGNORED

Luke Ailing on football focus

Never to the dark side

Just now, myol'man said:

Didn't mention City once 

Started at Arsenal, moved on to Yeovil for 1st team football, now at Leeds in Premier League. 

Mmmm

Yes, we are so anonymous and invisible. Dull. Forgettable. Beige.

We make absolutely no mark upon the national football consciousness. Even on some that have played for us. If you say "Bristol City" to Sky Sports they think: "Dean Windass."

We are dull and uninteresting, existing for what purpose? What is the point of Bristol City? 

1 minute ago, Moments of Pleasure said:

Yes, we are so anonymous and invisible. Dull. Forgettable. Beige.

We make absolutely no mark upon the national football consciousness. Even on some that have played for us. If you say "Bristol City" to Sky Sports they think: "Dean Windass."

We are dull and uninteresting, existing for what purpose? What is the point of Bristol City? 

Exactly

We are a wilderness club that just once in a while come in out of the cold. Is Ashton Gate on the site of a plague graveyard from the Middle ages as I cant think of any other reason we are not on every sports commentators lips.

13 minutes ago, myol'man said:

Didn't mention City once 

Started at Arsenal, moved on to Yeovil for 1st team football, now at Leeds in Premier League. 

Mmmm

Didn’t you hear the (off camera) bit at the end

What about Bristol City , we didn’t mention them’

Ayling.      ‘Was lucky to get out of there with my knees and hamstrings still in place’

17 minutes ago, myol'man said:

Didn't mention City once 

Mmmm

Do you blame them? He came here, showed talent and then was ousted because he made a personal mistake that seemed to have more impact than it should have. I'd genuinely say that's one of the worst sales we've ever made, Leeds love the guy and can't stop laughing at the price paid. 

One of my favourite footballers 

Always stepping forward , forward,  providing his sides continual momentum 

Positive and progressive for 90 mins , and very entertaining / exciting to watch

Good footballer too and a brave and decent defender when he’s back in shape 

Yes that means he gets caught out of position on occasions but what an impact he has on games for a right back - incredible  

£200k

Jesus ****** wept

24 minutes ago, Spike said:

Do you blame them? He came here, showed talent and then was ousted because he made a personal mistake that seemed to have more impact than it should have. I'd genuinely say that's one of the worst sales we've ever made, Leeds love the guy and can't stop laughing at the price paid. 

Definitely had more impact than it should have.

Laughably absurd over reaction from the club.

Talk about cutting off your nose to spite your face. :doh: ?

6 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Definitely had more impact than it should have.

Laughably absurd over reaction from the club.

Talk about cutting off your nose to spite your face. :doh: ?

Still don’t think that was the reason Nogs

Johnson told him and said so himself that he would be unlikely to get much playing time and that correlates with Aylings version (Johnson didn’t fancy him as a CH and we’d signed Matthews at RB)

Now some may claim that was just a smokescreen but if so

both were happy to comply , and if we’d been outraged by Cheltenham , IMHO we would have said so for PR and he would have been made available immediately and publicly 

Mind you he’s benefitted and thrived under a top coach and is used brilliantly by Bielsa 

I really rated Ayling.

Think there’s a point when you’re selling a player deemed “not auto first choice” and another club, a better club from the same league want to buy him, that you should at least ask the question “is this the right thing to do, why do they want him?”.

Remember several posters saying he wouldn’t get a game at Leeds.  He did, and some.

1 minute ago, Davefevs said:

I really rated Ayling.

Think there’s a point when you’re selling a player deemed “not auto first choice” and another club, a better club from the same league want to buy him, that you should at least ask the question “is this the right thing to do, why do they want him?”.

Remember several posters saying he wouldn’t get a game at Leeds.  He did, and some.

As an all round package - For me , right up there in any discussion for the best footballer at AG in last 10/20 yrs 

Imagine him in the ‘Carabao Cup side ‘ with the press and Bobby Reid up top 

Wright did a fantastic job in that period but Ayling would have added so much 

1 hour ago, Sheltons Army said:

Johnson told him and said so himself that he would be unlikely to get much playing time and that correlates with Aylings version (Johnson didn’t fancy him as a CH and we’d signed Matthews at RB)

both were happy to comply , and if we’d been outraged by Cheltenham , IMHO we would have said so for PR and he would have been made available immediately and publicly 

Mind you he’s benefitted and thrived under a top coach and is used brilliantly by Bielsa 

Goes to show how valuable a good manager is and how they can extract more from players/improve them. I’d rather we spent a few bob on a manager for a change rather than throwing millions at players. 

59 minutes ago, Sheltons Army said:

both were happy to comply , and if we’d been outraged by Cheltenham , IMHO we would have said so for PR and he would have been made available immediately and publicly.

If LJ didn't rate him worthy of a place then he's a strangely poor judge of a player imo. I can't believe that was the real reason.

If LJ didn't like him (not pals at Yeovil?) then generally it may be reasonable for a newish manager to move a player on for that reason as he assembles his own squad of characters he prefers.

But if he has to go don't sell such a promising player, who was very obviously only going to get better, for a paltry 200k!

It then looks like he's viewed as a bad egg ( non event Cheltenham incident) the club wanted to dispense with asap when we all know he was not only an exciting player worth his place, but known to be a key positive and popular character in the spirited & harmonious squad assembled by Cotts.

Too much of a personality for LJ in the same way as Cotts was for SL perhaps?

2 hours ago, Spike said:

Something tells me that if we knew then what we know now about Ayling's ability, the club would have handled the Cheltenham misdemeanour differently.

Funny that.

Every Right Back since him has been inferior.  

1 hour ago, Sheltons Army said:

As an all round package - For me , right up there in any discussion for the best footballer at AG in last 10/20 yrs 

Imagine him in the ‘Carabao Cup side ‘ with the press and Bobby Reid up top 

Wright did a fantastic job in that period but Ayling would have added so much 

If Ayling had played instead of "Bails" v Man Utd that night, Ryan Giggs would've run riot mate. Or Lee Sharpe/Gordon Hill/Willie Morgan (whoever it was wide left; so bloody long ago now). Mind, he'd have given Denis Irwin/Arthur Albiston/Tony Dunne summat to think about...

Archived