IGNORED

Chickens home to roost.

TomThumb84

1 hour ago, Fordy62 said:

“Didn’t see this coming” 

Brian Tinnion 13/2/21

I have a lot of respect for Tins but couldn't believe he said that. This has been coming for some time. 

Most games we play we are outplayed it's embarrassing. Even Wycombe came and gave us a few frights.

One shot on target or no shots on target is what you get with a Holden team berift of any cohesion or tactics. Mark Ashton hang your head in shame to take six weeks to decide to appoint from within a coach with no experience ad part of the same failed coaching regime you sacked.

2 hours ago, Eastred said:

I agree with you.  Seems as though that we have sold players for a lot of money, and replaced them with older injury prone players.  The rot starts at the very top.  Ideally, Mark Ashton needs to go, followed by Jon Lansdown, Dean Holden and the two coaches.  I would put the Tinman in until the end of the season, purely to keep us up (assuming he would take it)  We then need to use the time to recruit a Director of Football and a Manager who would work with him.  I wonder whether Stephen Lansdown will consider whether he wants to go through a rebuild, or sell up?

I'd love it if SL sold up.  The right man may bring back some passion, our club i devoid of it. 

9 minutes ago, petehinton said:

He absolutely has to win Tuesday. Otherwise I think it’s curtains. You can’t lose a derby and then lose 6-0 and then lose again after that. Says a lot about what the players think of him if so. 

Whilst I agree mate he’s not the root cause of the issue for me. 

His post match interview was painful to watch, I felt really sorry for him. He seems a decent honest man but it was like watching a junior member of staff being set up by some senior manager to divert attention away from their own failings. 

Unless Ashton goes then we could quite easily see Holden leave in the next week and him be replaced with an equal or worse appointment. 

2 hours ago, Red-Robbo said:

This one's for Brian Tinnion, Mark Ashton, and Jon and Steve Lansdown,  on behalf of the vast majority of City fans who foresaw this back in August when the club appointed a rookie who didn't even look convincing in the games he'd been temporarily in charge for.

I remember in one of the games when he was caretaker Holden sending on a bewildering random array of players towards the end and saying 'well at least we'll never appoint him, it's very clear he doesn't have a ******* clue what he's doing'...

2 hours ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

I reckon he was only made captain cos he's our most expensive player. Can't  have been down to character traits that shouted "leader".

Trouble is we have put together a squad full of such non leaders, introverts if you will. I remember at the start of the season struggling to pick a captain - where's  the next Korey Smith, Bailey Wright even. There's  a reason Johnson bought Wright and it wasn't  because he was a brilliant defender

Agree with that. Bailey Wright was a good footballer and didn't mind the physical side of footy. He'd get stuck in and block his opponents move. Good captain material. Doing well at Sunderland. Need a few more toughies. Williams can do it. 

2 hours ago, Red-Robbo said:

This one's for Brian Tinnion, Mark Ashton, and Jon and Steve Lansdown,  on behalf of the vast majority of City fans who foresaw this back in August when the club appointed a rookie who didn't even look convincing in the games he'd been temporarily in charge for.

Tuuuuuune! Great one to play on the bass ... ✌️???

28 minutes ago, Eastendboy1965 said:

I'd love it if SL sold up.  The right man may bring back some passion, our club i devoid of it. 

Who would buy?

There might be interest...but among that might well lie asset strippers, fantasists, tyre kickers and other people who should be nowhere near a football club.

Of those more legitimate ones, you might also have people who like leveraged buyouts among their number, might have clueless owners who run us aground with FFP- and we suffer the consequences on and off the pitch. Birmingham and QPR but especially Birmingham two notable examples.

What about those who take charges out on our fixed assets to help finance the club or maybe not the club.

Who would buy and would they be an improvement? Would it even be safe for the club.

28 minutes ago, Swede said:

I have a lot of respect for Tins but couldn't believe he said that. This has been coming for some time. 

Most games we play we are outplayed it's embarrassing. Even Wycombe came and gave us a few frights.

One shot on target or no shots on target is what you get with a Holden team berift of any cohesion or tactics. Mark Ashton hang your head in shame to take six weeks to decide to appoint from within a coach with no experience ad part of the same failed coaching regime you sacked.

This post is spot on, Tins would speak his mind if he was not an employee. Ashton is what is all wrong at City. 

31 minutes ago, Swede said:

They won at Huddersfield today btw.

Doomed though I'm sure they are, I bet they showed a hell of a lot more fight and spirit than we did today, vs Derby, vs Cardiff and indeed after HT v Huddersfield- though at least we hung on in that game. Could even add on some levels the Sheffield United game though at least we were compact.

2 minutes ago, City1970 said:

This post is spot on, Tins would speak his mind if he was not an employee. Ashton is what is all wrong at City. 

He did speak his mind at times. Put it this way he seems to be as frustrated that Taylor Moore is showing  no signs of learning as I am. Towler was the fall guy at half time but Moore didn’t help him one little bit.

1 hour ago, The Swan and Cemetery said:

Comparison to Bristol Bears will in lots of ways be unrealistic, but what they have done is appoint the best possible person they could afford/attract and then the whole club revolves around that person (Pat Lam), which has risks, but ensures clarity and accountability. Mark Tainton as CEO is very clearly not driving the on pitch approach (ex Bristol player, so not totally unqualified), it all revolves around Lam.

City won’t be able to afford or attract the equivalent of Lam, as we’re a smaller fish in a bigger pond than the Bears. But we could easily follow the same principles.

Just, this.

39 minutes ago, bcfc01 said:

I think they are valid excuses for not being in the top six tbf - and you don't need to be a deluded happy clapper to recognise it.

But they are not excuses for the slide into total capitulation - which has been coming for a few games now.

Mentally and physically soft - and this club has been like that for years now.

That is down to recruitment - all the noise about DNA blah blah. It means **** all if we are signing mentally soft players who won't put a foot in where it might hurt or wilt when under too much pressure. We have a very small number that I'll excuse from this, but they are the exception. 

TBF to Holden, he recognised it and mentioned it himself when taking the job, so he knew the problem. But he's not managed to stop the rot and has become part of the problem imo.

LJ and his dad used the phrase "players I can trust", I know exactly what they meant and it seems to me that Holden doesn't have too many of those at his disposal. That is down to recruitment.

I'm not sure who is responsible for new player selection, its a bit blurred, but whoever it is needs to up their game or move on. 

Should Holden be sacked ? I'd have to reluctantly say yes, as he's not resolved a problem he himself identified on taking the job and which has dogged him since that day.

It’s not just the 1st Team Head Coach that needs looking at though. Steve Lansdown as much as it might be a total pain in the arse for him needs to temporarily take charge of this club again and go through every single appointment made by Ashton and be totally ruthless about it starting at Rolls.Three clubs, three injury situations that are catastrophic, in fact ours is now way beyond that. I don’t care whether it’s bad luck, incompetence or whatever injuries follow this bloke round, it’s affecting us big time and he’s got to go. If a rebuild means another “wasted” season next time round then it’s got to be done. Keep things as they are and next season will be worse than wasted.

1 hour ago, GasDestroyer said:

Selling all your star players and replacing with mediocrity 

Lest not forget we sell players and replace with highly overpriced mediocrity because we lose £30m a year. That ( according to Ashton,) is the price of mediocrity....

It took 6 ******* weeks to appoint somebody.

It's now (and a lot of people suspected this at the time) become clear that Dean was the only person Ashton could find that would happily put up with his nonsense and wouldn't rock the boat. 

There must have been a reason the likes of Hughton, Cook etc were either never interviewed or discarded at the interview stage.

It seems to me that has to be because we wanted, and got, somebody who was happy to toe the line and was happy to take orders from above regarding all facets of the first team.

I don't blame DH at all for taking the job, but I cannot for the life of me expect a proper football man to accept the conditions he will be asked to work under as our next manager if/when he gets sacked.

The last football man we had in charge got ****** off less than 12 months after one of our most successful seasons ever because he spoke his mind. The powers that be didn't like it then, and won't like it now and nothing will change apart from instead of playing at the likes of Carrow Rd and St Andrews we will be playing at the likes of Scotland and The Mem.

I've had a guts-full of it now

Whilst I think of it, did anyone else see Paul Simpson’s baffling and contradictory pre-match interview?

On the subject of Joe Williams and injuries, he went on a strange and odd diatribe about not rushing players back and so they “play one - miss one”, without even blinking at what he was spouting despite the fact they decided to play Joe twice inside 5 days!?

I had lost the plot even before we decided to lose 6-0.

Honestly.

It is a cult I reckon. Has to be.

Thing is - we lost this match 6-0. That's six...we let in six goals, and had one weak shot on target. Totally outclassed.

In the past 40 years how many games have we lost 6-0? I can remember us shipping 7 at Northampton under TC, the moment when the reality of our Div 4 plight really struck home, 6 at Tranmere in the 80s (?), 7 when Tins left, and 6 under GJ at Ipswich and home to Cardiff - but that's about it. This is a historically awful defeat...under a failing rookie manager...it surely can't just be brushed off?

2 minutes ago, Red Exile said:

Thing is - we lost this match 6-0. That's six...we let in six goals, and had one weak shot on target. Totally outclassed.

In the past 40 years how many games have we lost 6-0? I can remember us shipping 7 at Northampton under TC, the moment when the reality of our Div 4 plight really struck home, 6 at Tranmere in the 80s (?), 7 when Tins left, and 6 under GJ at Ipswich and home to Cardiff - but that's about it. This is a historically awful defeat...under a failing rookie manager...it surely can't just be brushed off?

Great post.

It has been brushed off though and it will be because Covid (all sides are going through it), and Injuries (well documented that at least a proportion of this is self-made).

The club has made a monumental effort in dumbing down fans expectancy and benchmark and it appears to have worked.

Laughing stock today we are.

6 minutes ago, Red Exile said:

The 6-0 at Tranmere was promotion season and Robbie Carnage Turner got sent off for manslaughter nearly. We were the best side in the league by far and still the fans were apoplectic I recall.

Shows how far we have been numbed to this nonsense.

4 minutes ago, TomThumb84 said:

The 6-0 at Tranmere was promotion season and Robbie Carnage Turner got sent off for manslaughter nearly. We were the best side in the league by far and still the fans were apoplectic I recall.

Shows how far we have been numbed to this nonsense.

Yep - I was there unfortunately , as I was for Northampton , Swansea , Cardiff , Wolves , Sunderland - all humiliating defeats 

Ipswich the only one I managed to miss !

But that today , considering the investment in that squad was the worst for a pathetic capitulation IMHO

16 minutes ago, Red Exile said:

Blimey those are memories. Most were drubbings but that Ipswich game was truly odd. We were a half tidy unit and it was just 'one of those days', I recall. Didn't it start badly, Orr get sent off and things went downhill thereafter? The difference being it was short-lived and unexpected.

Just now, BTRFTG said:

Blimey those are memories. Most were drubbings but that Ipswich game was truly odd. We were a half tidy unit and it was just 'one of those days', I recall. Didn't it start badly, Orr get sent off and things went downhill thereafter? The difference being it was short-lived and unexpected.

Shortly afterwards we beat them (Ipswich) 2-0 at home.

Just now, BTRFTG said:

Agreed, I recall sitting on the train with Ipswich fans who were mildly apologetic at how they had run up such a score! 

The difference being as you say, that it was short term - GJ and the squad had credit to burn. 'We go again' was a credible sound bite.

Today was a shambles.

We were crap, we are crap, defence is a mess, we lack motivation, head coach is hamstrung by an accountant making football decisions, our number one keeper had another off day (he knows better than anyone the defenders don’t trust him), the midfield is disjointed, our 9 is a great bloke but he’s not a footballer,  our attacking midfielders don’t gel, injuries need sorting, perhaps the ratio plastic:grass is wrong - I don’t know or claim to! Team spirit has disappeared since Man City, the only constant in the last 3 seasons has been one man with too much power over the team as a whole, buy the man a gold plated calculator and tell him to lock the office door, stay away from the football or f### off - the day to day of city needs football leadership from an experienced manager - not a journeyman coach and a self important sycophant!
the only constants since Cotts was sent on his way are Ashton and Scotty - I’m sure Scotty is not the one to blame!

Bristol City is nothing without the fans, the current team and leadership are showing no pride in the shirt and totally disrespecting the fans - it has to change for now and the future - many players are paid more in a week than many fans earn a year - if they don’t perform, fine them, don’t select them, pay a basic wage with performance bonuses whatever it takes - wearing the shirt is an honour! Not an entitlement- you listening Pato? Wells? Palmer? Everyone?

6 minutes ago, dave36 said:

We were crap, we are crap, defence is a mess, we lack motivation, head coach is hamstrung by an accountant making football decisions, our number one keeper had another off day (he knows better than anyone the defenders don’t trust him), the midfield is disjointed, our 9 is a great bloke but he’s not a footballer,  our attacking midfielders don’t gel, injuries need sorting, perhaps the ratio plastic:grass is wrong - I don’t know or claim to! Team spirit has disappeared since Man City, the only constant in the last 3 seasons has been one man with too much power over the team as a whole, buy the man a gold plated calculator and tell him to lock the office door, stay away from the football or f### off - the day to day of city needs football leadership from an experienced manager - not a journeyman coach and a self important sycophant!
the only constants since Cotts was sent on his way are Ashton and Scotty - I’m sure Scotty is not the one to blame!

Bristol City is nothing without the fans, the current team and leadership are showing no pride in the shirt and totally disrespecting the fans - it has to change for now and the future - many players are paid more in a week than many fans earn a year - if they don’t perform, fine them, don’t select them, pay a basic wage with performance bonuses whatever it takes - wearing the shirt is an honour! Not an entitlement- you listening Pato? Wells? Palmer? Everyone?

our number one keeper had another off day (he knows better than anyone the defenders don’t trust him ‘

Did you actually just write that ?

Jesus **** wept 

That takes some beating for complete *******

4 hours ago, TomThumb84 said:

Right, for all of you expecting a reactionary and emotional post, congratulations - here it is:

That was a disgrace. But do not kid yourselves it was a freak result or one off. Anyone with half a footballing brain can see that has been coming for months. We are appalling and the club has become rotten, today crystallised it and that is a culmination of poor recruitment, a poor choice of manager, and a group of players without a clue/motivation/direction - some of them almost unbelievably going through the motions, pretending, and even worse being allowed to do so.

Look at the body language of our captain. Completely disillusioned and frustrated.

Does anyone still want to challenge the lunacy of not signing a left-back? I thought it may happen and hoped it would not, but it was almost cruel to put young Towler in that today.

We finished the game with one recruit from both windows finishing the game - a centre half in his swansong at left-back, and he knows he was not considered good enough there a week ago.

Accountability needed now.

I posted last week in anger and frustration, tonight I am sad and a bit numb. Despite the best intentions of Robins TV (Party Political Broadcast for the Club, apart from Tins who occasionally forgot he was an employee and let his football brain kick-in), forget Covid, injuries, all of that. This was a shambles of our own making.

Worst thing is it is almost impossible to see a change now without complete upheaval.

Nothing to add to that ????????

2 minutes ago, dave36 said:

Sorry but as much as MA or SL appointed DH, the mess on the pitch, player selection, tatics, organisation, substitutions is solely on DH shoulders and these unacceptable performances just price he is out if his depth

2 minutes ago, sh1t_ref_again said:

Sorry but as much as MA or SL appointed DH, the mess on the pitch, player selection, tatics, organisation, substitutions is solely on DH shoulders and these unacceptable performances just price he is out if his depth

True but Ashton's appointment, Andy Rolls, hasn't done a great deal to help has he? Not only that but he had a track record of FAILURE. What a complete and utter waste of a good wage that bloke is.

Archived