IGNORED

Controversy At The Gate!

Pewsham

I remember a time when the Referee sent the ball boy off!!!! Older members of the forum may well remember it too?

I also remember the goal Keith Fear "scored" against Derby - a precious goal which eventually proved vital in our scrap to stave off relegation in the first year we were in the top flight.

For the benefit of younger forum members, a cross came over in front of The East End which went over the top of the likes of Roy McFarland and the rest of the Giant Sized Derby defence, to...the shortest bloke on the park. Keith jumped as high as he could and patted the ball into the net with his fingertips. It would have done justice to a line out at a School Rugby Match. A half hearted cheer went up - we all could see what happened...apart from the Ref who gave a goal - to the crescendo of a much bigger cheer.

Anyone think of any more controversial incidents at Ashton Gate?

Ball boy, I remember that one, wasn't it because he was debating an offside and the ref asked him to do the walk!

Don't recall why to be honest, but I recall going home listening to Danny Baker's 606 show on Radio 5, and an irate City fan rang up, and complained about it. Danny went into overdrive!

Guest WillsbridgeRed

I'll never forget a caller on David Mellors last 606

"Hello john, what have you got to say"

"Well david, I would just like to say you're a ****"

Or the classic with Stan Collymoor as a guest

"So Simon, who would you take to the World Cup"

"Well I'd take Stan Collymore, he'd be handy for beating the Swedes"

Guest hairyshamrock

It was a good phone in, especially when they did the show on a saturday morning before opening time on a matchday. I liked the feature on the tramp that lived under a stand at some non-league club!

Its not going back that far but is just as comical-Anyone remember when an injured player was carried off on a stretcher but then was dropped near the touchline!! I think t was only about 3 years back,it still brings a smile to my face now!!! :whistle:

Everyone must remember the scrap between the Wolves mascot and ours ? That's appeared on a few "what happened next" type shows and got national news coverage.

I was there! It kicked off at half-time I think, out of the blue. Terrific stuff :whistle:

It was a good phone in, especially when they did the show on a saturday morning before opening time on a matchday.  I liked the feature on the tramp that lived under a stand at some non-league club!

How about the Scots guy who had a giant cast-iron rattle, I've never heard a bloke crack up as much as Danny did then....a true classic!

Stan Bowles chucked in the car-park after braking a leg!

In a rough house game against Manure at the Gate, Houston broke his leg after a horrible tackle on one of ours.In the coach park after, me and some mates were hanging around the coach when a few of the Manure players spotted us and started pointing at us ,laughing and making the "going down" jestures (relegation ,I mean).Not putting up with that a few of us mouthed "Houston" and mimed a "snap", with accompanying guffaws. (Then) manager Tommy Docherty had to block the coach door to stop half the side doing unspeakable things to us!

Laugh? I nearly passed me fags round!

(stand by for another ban)

The ball boy incident was the game following that 4-3 win @ Derby; I quoteand

"only 9,515 attended the next home game when Southend, now coached by former City manager Bob Houghton, broke City’s unbeaten record with Benjamin scoring the only goal in the 75th. minute. This was the third time so far that season an opponent had appeared to be offside and yet had been allowed to score. Referee Vic Callow also ordered off an 11 year old ball boy after an incident with a Southend player. The lad was led away in tears by a policeman! That night Dziekanowski was taken to the B.R.I. after an incident in a Clifton wine bar.

I missed out what happened after that Sarfend game!

"and only 9,515 attended the next home game when Southend, now coached by former City manager Bob Houghton, broke City’s unbeaten record with Benjamin scoring the only goal in the 75th. minute. This was the third time so far that season an opponent had appeared to be offside and yet had been allowed to score. Referee Vic Callow also ordered off an 11 year old ball boy after an incident with a Southend player. The lad was led away in tears by a policeman! That night Dziekanowski was taken to the B.R.I. after an incident in a Clifton wine bar. West Ham were the next visitors and were 3-0 up at half time. Martin Scott pulled one back, but the Hammers ran out 5-1 victors. The police considered prosecuting the West Ham coach for inciting City fans with abusive gestures. The same thing occurred in the return match".

No the Police did not take action against that Coach. :Sleep12:

I'll never forget a caller on David Mellors last 606

"Hello john, what have you got to say"

"Well david, I would just like to say you're a ****"

yeah, I remember that. Palace fan- called up after David Mellor had said that Palace fans would get nowhere by rattling cans to try and save their club from financial ruin.

Its not going back that far but is just as comical-Anyone remember when an injured player was carried off on a stretcher but then was dropped near the touchline!! I think t was only about 3 years back,it still brings a smile to my face now!!! :whistle:

Rember that, we played something silly like 65 minuites in the first half because of his injury. Wasn't it Lloyd Owusu ?

What about the game that practically relegated us from division 1 in 1999? Home to brum - we're up 1 nil before Nudlove performs a comedy dive on the edge of the area to undersandable laughter from the crowd, but then the evil ref decides to award a penalty. 5 mins later David Howells passes the ball to another brum player, and we lose the game.

At the end of the match, one of our stewards says something to Trevor Francis, and Francis walks past him, then turns back and smacks him in the ear. Gets away with it too, the #### managing #### punditing #### sinusing c ***.

I remember that. City fans got in loads of trouble for spitting at Francis and stuff. We also had a goal disallowed in the first half because their defender and goalkeeper collided. Akinbiyi was guilty of the gross offence of breathing in the penalty area and his goal was ruled out.

Yeah, think it was against Colchester in a 1-1 game. Was a well dull game and one of their players was feigning injury to waste time so they "accidentally" dropped him off the stretcher!! Classic moment!!

Yeah, think it was against Colchester in a 1-1 game.  Was a well dull game and one of their players was feigning injury to waste time so they "accidentally" dropped him off the stretcher!!  Classic moment!!

Nope it was against Brentford, Lloyd Owusu had doslocated his shoulder, was down for about 20 mins before the ambulance arrived.

Nope it was against Brentford, Lloyd Owusu had doslocated his shoulder, was down for about 20 mins before the ambulance arrived.

Was at the Brentford game but don't think it was that one!! That Owusu injury was horrible so wouldn't joke about that...remember there being a stupid amount of injury-time.

Sure against Colchester they pretty much threw the player off the stretcher and he carried on playing afterwards. Anyone able to back me up? My memory's hazy at the best of times so apologies if I'm wrong!! Sure it was like one of the dullest games ever and that was the one highlight with someone on here giving the stretcher-carriers man of the match?!

Down the Gate - The day I consider our luck changed after dropping down the divisions in record time. We were 1-0 down to Swindon and time was running out. Their keeper caught the ball, and what seemed like an eternity later our centre back (Nichols?) charged into him and sent him sprawling as he spilled the ball. Glyn Reily then slid into get the equaliser. We were soon off the bottom of the table and have never looked back since :whistle:

Danny Baker phone-ins - The best one I remember was the chap waiting outside of the away turnstiles of a ground. He was leaning against the door of one that was closed when he realised he could open it. He went in and then noticed he could get into the operator's booth. This he did. He then took entrance fees of £100 before closing 'his' turnstile and going on into watch the game.

Was at the Brentford game but don't think it was that one!!  That Owusu injury was horrible so wouldn't joke about that...remember there being a stupid amount of injury-time.

Sure against Colchester they pretty much threw the player off the stretcher and he carried on playing afterwards.  Anyone able to back me up?  My memory's hazy at the best of times so apologies if I'm wrong!!  Sure it was like one of the dullest games ever and that was the one highlight with someone on here giving the stretcher-carriers man of the match?!

I think i remember vaguely the game you are talking about. But Owusu was also dropped off his stretcher with his dislocated shoulder, it was quite ammusing at the time in a sort of how could you do that to the poor bloke way.

anyone remember the game against wrexham about five years back?

city won 4-0 and beadle and thorpe both lobed the keeper from about 30 yards???

anyway,the incident that happend in that game was the female lineswomen,wendy toms i think her name was,putting up her flag for an offside only about five minuites in to the game.

she managed to suffer some sort of injury whilst waving her flag and so had to be replaced.

she was led down the tunnel by the physio with the whole ateyo singing "you should of stayed in the kitchen" :whistle::laugh::D

I was there! It kicked off at half-time I think, out of the blue. Terrific stuff :whistle:

So was I, in the Ateyeo!! It wasn't the official mascot but the 3 pigs from that window company!! The City cat later got a medal for breaking up the fight. Also later that season when we were away to Wolves, the Wolves mascots (mr & Mrs) came over to were the junior reds were sitting and the youngsters started singin "The pigs are coming to get you!" They soon retreated!!

:laugh::P:D

can remember a funny incident in front of the old enclosure, they had people in wheel chairs around the pitch, the ball went out for a throw and someone in a wheel chair reached over to get the ball and tipped over, :whistle: shouldn't laugh but it was funny at the time. Terry Cooper went over and tipped him back up, then took the throw in (shows how long ago it was cooperman at left back)

I think the guy was right. It was home vs Colchester that the guy was dropped off the strecher.

The Brentford game was a different one and 65 minute first half way played. Owusu broke shoulder or collar bone and took ages but got back to fitness within a month or two- the other injury in that game was Paul Holland- that ended his career. And he had been playing superbly at that point as well.

funny funny moment at swindle last year...really big women trys to get through the turnstile, guess what happened! she tried to force her way through it but became stuck half way....she then had to ask a steward to pull her out and then let her through one of the big gates.....many people crying with laughter!

A funny time rather than a conraversal time was Notts county and it had rained so hard that the ball just didnt roll. Anyway the ref stoppped the game and ordered about 5 staff to fork the pitch dry. Of course that did absoltly nothing but the ref made them keep going for 10mins before eventually calling a halt!!!

Archived