IGNORED

Somebody that knows what they are doing?

Eastend

For the love of god,  can we just bring in somebody that knows what they are doing and how to management a squad of professional footballers! I get that finances are tight, but every other club is in the same situation. Even if we brought in somebody from a lower league that has had some recent success, I don’t think many of us would complain?

we need somebody in that is able to adjust a game plan based on the opposition successfully. I believe Holden’s game plan is being manipulated by the opposition every week now. Against Watford, Holden changed the shape of the team after 2 mins...yes 2 MINS!? Wtf is that all about?

As nice as a guy that Holden is, he is a fraud and there is no place for him as a first team manager at this football club. Even when we were winning games we were only winning by the thread of a needle and had a lot of luck on our side. Well... I’m afraid the luck is over now. Holden Out!

Like Klopp the clown? He'd not come but the widely acclaimed coach interviews badly after these defeats, making excuses, picking a clown of a goalie who cost more than our squad! 

For every stupid post on this forum saying 'get rid' (Lee J or Dean H) it would be nice to get one sensible suggestion from us fans as to who would come to work for the most generous and patient owner in the country. 

Go on smartie, give us one name, though you sound so sure of yourself you can probably come up with ten? 

I'm waiting. 

25 minutes ago, Hampshire Red said:

Like Klopp the clown? He'd not come but the widely acclaimed coach interviews badly after these defeats, making excuses, picking a clown of a goalie who cost more than our squad! 

For every stupid post on this forum saying 'get rid' (Lee J or Dean H) it would be nice to get one sensible suggestion from us fans as to who would come to work for the most generous and patient owner in the country. 

Go on smartie, give us one name, though you sound so sure of yourself you can probably come up with ten? 

I'm waiting. 

It's KRUSTY actually....don't u watch the Simpsons?  ??        What has the Liverpool goalkeeper and their most successful   manager in 30 years got to do with us losing at Watford      ?

37 minutes ago, Hampshire Red said:

I'm waiting. 

We should have employed the two people who did the game plan that won Cardiff City three points at Ashton Gate a week ago. Experienced duo who have been together for a long time and probably have a solution for almost every thing that can happen at this level.

Mick McCarthy and Terry Connor.

Did anyone else notice that McC, Connor and Pack had a conversation on the touchline during the match which was clearly about tactics. Holden and Simpson look like statues by comparison during a match. 

Our football has been utterly utterly awful for months. Shocking with the ball on the rare occasion we have it. When we are just awful rather than despairingly awful the mama her claims it was a good reaction and optimism for the future. It’s dire, dire football. Even with the he injuries we have a good enough 11-15 to compete and play football - yes play football. Why spend all this money and not invest in an experienced coaching team and a canny manager. Why invest in building the whole house of good material and then leave the roof open to the elements! Hire a good, experienced  manager/ head coach now!!!

8 minutes ago, desert said:

Our football has been utterly utterly awful for months. Shocking with the ball on the rare occasion we have it. When we are just awful rather than despairingly awful the mama her claims it was a good reaction and optimism for the future. It’s dire, dire football. Even with the he injuries we have a good enough 11-15 to compete and play football - yes play football. Why spend all this money and not invest in an experienced coaching team and a canny manager. Why invest in building the whole house of good material and then leave the roof open to the elements! Hire a good, experienced  manager/ head coach now!!!

Years

17 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

We should have employed the two people who did the game plan that won Cardiff City three points at Ashton Gate a week ago. Experienced duo who have been together for a long time and probably have a solution for almost every thing that can happen at this level.

Did anyone else notice that McC, Connor and Pack had a conversation on the touchline during the match which was clearly about tactics. Holden and Simpson look like statues by comparison during a match. 

It did look as if Mick knew precisely what to do to win that day, from the time he entered the technical area before the kickoff.

16 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

I'd look abroad for the next head coach.

Someone from somewhere like the German leagues. 

Someone who has shown they are tactically flexible, understands pressing triggers well and how to set a team up to knock it about well, bringing it out the back and passing it nicely in triangles etc.

Someone that will favour playing young players. 

Then bring in a proven Sporting Director.

Someone who has a proven track record of finding quality players for cheap that fits the team philosophy.

Doesn't have to be from abroad of course. Not sure how Barnsley operate exactly, but they now seem keen to bring in foreign head coaches. Not sure who decides who they sign, but they do a pretty good job overall I think.

The point about Barnsley is with a smaller budget they are doing very well, playing a better style of football and sticking to their philosophy more than we do, as we now tend to bring in older players. 

Their players should only get better being a young team, if they do lose any key players then they would likely make a profit. Reinvest the money wisely. 

Of course we have to sort out the injury situation more than anything else. As I believe we'd be doing better with the likes of Dasilva Weimann, O'Dowda and Williams fit and available.

If Rolls track record is as bad as people say with players being injured, Arsenal, West Ham and now here, then get rid. Might be complete coincidence, but if it is then tough. No point in waiting to see if it is just bad luck or not. 

A good intelligent sporting director would hopefully be able to make the right decision there. 

Excellent post Jon

One of your very best ??

I would be considering the German DoF and coach market too I think , but the issue I see with that is post Brexit recruitment from Germany ( player wise ) and players from Europe that they might normally have eyes on would be difficult to bring here

If it wasn’t for this I’d definitely be scrutinising German Options in DoF and HC roles

The current set-up is rotten & stale.

'Rotten' in the sence that the decision making at the top appears to be very wrong.

The apparent continued tolerance of bland mediocrity is mind boggling.

It is all well & good certain fans constantly throwing up the old 'who then' reposte but really, that kind of attitude is indicative of the wider problem.

Positive change will never happen unless you change the mindset.

1 hour ago, Eastend said:

For the love of god,  can we just bring in somebody that knows what they are doing and how to management a squad of professional footballers! I get that finances are tight, but every other club is in the same situation. Even if we brought in somebody from a lower league that has had some recent success, I don’t think many of us would complain?

If that somebody is Michael Appleton I think you might be wrong there. Wouldn't be a surprise though would it. 

51 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

Got Cardiff up to 7th place in the league at the moment aswell. No guarantee of success but I would have loved both of them here, as you say, experienced and successful.

JonD, the very very typical poster! Someone (who?) should look somewhere (100,000sq miles) for someone (unemployed lists appear everywhere) for someone with that guaranteed success. Most new managers do worse, we know that. 

Who do you want, name the names and theiir chances of doing as well as DH

If we have so many problems, poor players you have to give DH huge praise for all the points he has already banked this season, no? 

2 hours ago, Eastend said:

Are you sure about that - this is OTIB you’re talking about remember?

2 hours ago, Hampshire Red said:

I'm waiting. 

Moron.

1 hour ago, JonDolman said:

Someone who has shown they are tactically flexible, understands pressing triggers well and how to set a team up to knock it about well, bringing it out the back and passing it nicely in triangles etc.

Someone who has a proven track record of finding quality players for cheap that fits the team philosophy.

Doesn't have to be from abroad of course. Not sure how Barnsley operate exactly, but they now seem keen to bring in foreign head coaches. Not sure who decides who they sign, but they do a pretty good job overall I think.

The point about Barnsley is with a smaller budget they are doing very well, playing a better style of football and sticking to their philosophy more than we do, as we now tend to bring in older players. 

Their players should only get better being a young team, if they do lose any key players then they would likely make a profit. Reinvest the money wisely. 

Of course we have to sort out the injury situation more than anything else. As I believe we'd be doing better with the likes of Dasilva Weimann, O'Dowda and Williams fit and available.

If Rolls track record is as bad as people say with players being injured, Arsenal, West Ham and now here, then get rid. Might be complete coincidence, but if it is then tough. No point in waiting to see if it is just bad luck or not. 

A good intelligent sporting director would hopefully be able to make the right decision there. 

Our players in Barnsley's system would get automatic promotion. The only thing holding them back is a lack of quality.

I'm waiting. 

If you’re looking for a clown , have a look in the mirror . **** 

Good post Jon . However , we have incompetence running the football club . The last decent manager & head scout was appointed by a man no longer at the club . The current owner & CEO are bloody clueless in football terms , so unfortunately you’re wasting your time. 

14 minutes ago, Hampshire Red said:

JonD, the very very typical poster! Someone (who?) should look somewhere (100,000sq miles) for someone (unemployed lists appear everywhere) for someone with that guaranteed success. Most new managers do worse, we know that. 

Who do you want, name the names and theiir chances of doing as well as DH

If we have so many problems, poor players you have to give DH huge praise for all the points he has already banked this season, no? 

Wondered when you’d be along to brighten up this weekend with your utter garbage.

Back in the summer, as I recall, the names in the OTIB frame were Hughton, Cook and McCarthy. Now, we are often accused of being a fickle know-nothing bunch but just for once we're demonstrably ahead of the club in our assessments. Hughton has one defeat in 11 at Forest, turning their season around, and big Mick did a number on Holden. Cook is still out there.

Any one of the three would have been streets ahead of what we got...as predicted.

I'm waiting. 

What a strange post. There are plenty of managers who’d come to work under Lansdown. The issue is probably Ashton.

I'm waiting. 

What a shit house post... why don’t you explain why DH should keep his job then you clown?

Among the many things that mystify me about our decision making at the top table is how somebody, as successful and astute as SL, allows this to carry on. I understand he wishes (as far as possible in the world of professional sport) to build a sustainable business model, what I fail to understand is how that can be achieved via the current personnel and structure. Of course my knowledge is very limited and I’m happy to be corrected, as I understand it:

MA as CE holds the majority of power and influence regarding all non-playing matters, therefore he is responsible for much of the mess 

DH is a top bloke but inexperienced and is increasingly being exposed with each game 

So why does SL not act to protect his significant investment and passion for BCFC?

My only conclusion is that he is not prepared to employ anybody as a manager/head coach who won’t be governed by the CE. This appears to rule out most experienced managers as understandably they don’t want to be curtailed by somebody else’s decision making. 

SL ultimately needs to decide if he is prepared to watch BCFC decline as that is surely the current trajectory (even when we have a fully fit squad) or whether he wants progress; to achieve the latter he surely needs to readdress the decision making hierarchy within the club.

25 minutes ago, Red Exile said:

Back in the summer, as I recall, the names in the OTIB frame were Hughton, Cook and McCarthy. Now, we are often accused of being a fickle know-nothing bunch but just for once we're demonstrably ahead of the club in our assessments. Hughton has one defeat in 11 at Forest, turning their season around, and big Mick did a number on Holden. Cook is still out there.

Any one of the three would have been streets ahead of what we got...as predicted.

Indeed.  I Genuinely and wholeheartedly believe this that a panel of fans could have picked a more favourable and successful manager than Jon L and Mark Ashton and there ‘’vigorous’’ process. 

4 minutes ago, Jerseybean said:

Among the many things that mystify me about our decision making at the top table is how somebody, as successful and astute as SL, allows this to carry on. I understand he wishes (as far as possible in the world of professional sport) to build a sustainable business model, what I fail to understand is how that can be achieved via the current personnel and structure. Of course my knowledge is very limited and I’m happy to be corrected, as I understand it:

MA as CE holds the majority of power and influence regarding all non-playing matters, therefore he is responsible for much of the mess 

DH is a top bloke but inexperienced and is increasingly being exposed with each game 

So why does SL not act to protect his significant investment and passion for BCFC?

My only conclusion is that he is not prepared to employ anybody as a manager/head coach who won’t be governed by the CE. This appears to rule out most experienced managers as understandably they don’t want to be curtailed by somebody else’s decision making. 

SL ultimately needs to decide if he is prepared to watch BCFC decline as that is surely the current trajectory (even when we have a fully fit squad) or whether he wants progress; to achieve the latter he surely needs to readdress the decision making hierarchy within the club.

This is what I find odd. At the Bears a lot of the model is similar:

- Bristol Sport (obviously)

- pillars/values (interestingly Lam goes on about them endlessly, they appear to mean something)

- big focus on off pitch activities (training ground, foundation etc)

and yet... on another thread I incorrectly said Mark Tainton was CEO, I think he’s actually Chief Operating Officer, and whilst maybe semantics, think it’s an important distinction and emphasises who is actually in control (Lansdown and Lam) and everyone else helps realise what they’re trying to do. 

Point being that in another sport, with a very similar set up and also owned by Lansdown, we see progress and now success. And pre Lansdown Bristol were a farce, constantly yo-yo-ing between divisions. Bristol Shoguns anyone? The Mem being sold to the Gas?  Lawdy.

So what’s the difference? I can only think of two critical ones:

- different pond sizes between rugby and football, must make some difference 

- who Lansdown puts in charge. I doubt Booy or Tainton or Lam ignore everything Lansdown says, yet, because they’re competent, Bristol Bears do well

Absolutely, should be shown the door, quickly followed by Ashton, Holden & Simpson!

8 minutes ago, Jerseybean said:

I think that's the wrong conclusion, although it is of course all speculation. The strange appointments long pre-date the current CEO...how many on here would have appointed Tins, or Keith Millen after Coppell? The happiest of appointments was GJ, SL appeared to get on really well with GJ, they complemented each other. I know that he really wanted GJ to get us to the Prem. I heard him say it. LJ was presumably an attempt to recreate that relationship. 

Cotts by contrast - with whom SL appeared to have had no personal rapport at all - might have been painful for all the success...

Have the board been really clever here?

When LJ was sacked our expectations were high that some experienced manager was lined up and waiting in the wings. However after 6 weeks of faffing around it was clearly evident we had actually sacked LJ with no plan in mind. They then appoint somebody way below the expectations of the fans and we are not surprisingly in the position that we are.

Now the board are in a position where they can appoint virtually any manager they like and the fans will just be grateful. This new manager could be well below the expectations of what we were expecting after LJ left. But hey, anything is better than we have right now.

It is extraordinary?...........We were promised a 'breath of fresh air" that would take us to the next level.  We have in fact ended up with a fart in a spacesuit, if you had planned a more retrograde step in the progress of the team, it could not have been organised better ?

We need a complete spring clean, from CEO to manager through to the coaches, a complete clear out.  Then appoint a director of football and a manager/coach who is either a young   hands on, up and comer, or an experienced older individual, a 'la McCarthy.  We are currently on a downwards trajectory that could end up in relegation, we need some quick and brave decisions from the man at the top.

We warned them when Hollden was appointed, but they ignored logic and employed another Yes Man.  DH is without doubt a nice guy, but he is out of his depth, and he and Ashton should be out of the door ASAP.

16 minutes ago, Slack Bladder said:

Have the board been really clever here?

When LJ was sacked our expectations were high that some experienced manager was lined up and waiting in the wings. However after 6 weeks of faffing around it was clearly evident we had actually sacked LJ with no plan in mind. They then appoint somebody way below the expectations of the fans and we are not surprisingly in the position that we are.

Now the board are in a position where they can appoint virtually any manager they like and the fans will just be grateful. This new manager could be well below the expectations of what we were expecting after LJ left. But hey, anything is better than we have right now.

More than likely what will happen , there’s no way an experienced manager would come here and work under the dictatorship 

Archived