IGNORED

Bristol Post player ratings - 100% spot on with both scores and comments - Fair play to Gregor!

brady bunch

Gregor has this spot on, I love the bit where he comments that Kalas seem to be expected by his team-mates to win the high ball and the second ball!! harsh but true and Towler being "throw to the wolves". Hindsight I know, but madness to have surrounded him with Moore and HSM, both weak tacklers and error prone... full link here: https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/sloppy-bristol-city-player-ratings-5002242

Dan Bentley - 5

Beaten early by Sarr's deflected cross before the same player slotted in and Sema blasted low past the onrushing goalkeeper. Good save late on to deny

Zak Vyner - 3

Off day for one of City's breakthrough players of this season as he made a costly mistake for Watford's second, as Cleverly picked off the loose pass.

Tomas Kalas - 5

Won plenty of high balls but seemed to be expected by his team-mates to also win the second ball too somehow.

Taylor Moore - 3

The centre-back was not helped by having an 18-year-old playing just his second game in front of him but too often the central defender came off second best in duels or reacting to the danger, such as being woefully out of position for the embarrassing second goal.

Jack Hunt - 4

Ineffective display at right-back as he tried to keep Joao Pedro in check. Didn't get forward for much of the game as the away side were penned in their own half.

Han-Noah Massengo - 5

The midfielder had a mixed afternoon: one of few to show urgency and ability on the ball including almost scoring in the last 10 but too many sloppy moments too as he lost possession for Watford to hit their fifth of the afternoon.

Henri Lansbury - 3

Lacked mobility in the middle and a little bit lucky to not be booked as he caught Sarr late around the hour mark. Looks off the pace still following his switch of club.

Jamie Paterson - 3

The attacking midfielder offered very little in this one, unable to beat his marker or propel his side forward. No interceptions made and just a single tackle, with no chances created or dribbles completed.

Ryley Towler - 3

Effectively thrown to the wolves as he was played out of position in his second league start against the £40m rated Sarr. Sink or swim and unfortunately it did not go well for the 18-year-old who was bypassed continually and taken off at the break. He'll learn from this

Famara Diedhiou - 5

The powerhouse striker could have been sent off for leading with an elbow just after the break but referee John Brooks took leniency. No service came his way and he had no shots. Reduced to defending corners only.

Antoine Semenyo - 5

The City forward carried the ball as well as anyone but wasn't able to create anything against the steadfast Hornets with City only managing one shot throughout.

Substitutions

Adrian Mariappa (for Towler, 45') - 6

The former Hornet put in his best performance yet for City, returning to his old stomping ground, flicking the ball down the line for Massengo in nonchalant fashion at one point.

Adam Nagy (for Moore, 45') - 6

Linked up nicely with Massengo at one point near the end of the game as City finally threatened the other end of the pitch.

Tyreeq Bakinson (Paterson, 62') - 6

Came on for Paterson late on and hit a decent shot at Bachmann's goal, but the ball slid wide.

Kasey Palmer (for Lansbury, 73') - n/a

Showed fight missing from the other players as he was booked wrestling the ball away from Joao Pedro to take a free-kick quickly.

Nahki Wells (for Diedhiou, 86') - n/a

Got the final few minutes as he replaced Diedhiou

Putting an 18 Year old lad who has only played Men's football at Frome Town and Taunton Town level was negligent and asking for trouble against someone in the quality of Sarr. He might be the only LB we have available, but not only putting him out there on his debut, putting Taylor Moore next to him was just plain daft. 1 minute in - exploited straight away.

Deano is probably the most tactically unaware manager I have seen in charge of this club, goes along the lines of just sticking 4 up front around 70th Minute months ago when chasing games

24 minutes ago, Oh Louie louie said:

Fair play to gregor, he spared nobody.

You got to feel for those kids, getting a 3 on a debut.

You do , but he was badly exposed and whilst Dean is the guy in the hot seat I’d love to know if our supposedly experienced guys in the background were supportive of this or dean ignored their advice 

18 minutes ago, daored said:

You do , but he was badly exposed and whilst Dean is the guy in the hot seat I’d love to know if our supposedly experienced guys in the background were supportive of this or dean ignored their advice 

I said the same to someone today. Would be interesting to know what there advice was or has been. Either they have been ignored or they are cack. 

The other player that has gone "under the radar" is Jamie Paterson, but Gregor does not allow this and sums him up perfectly. Our defense was poor, but lacked any real cover from the midfield. 

Patto made 1 (one) tackle all game and did nothing else, we may as well have played with 10 men.... Probably rushed back from injury, but another senior pro who badly let us down on Saturday.

2 hours ago, 2015 said:

Putting an 18 Year old lad who has only played Men's football at Frome Town and Taunton Town level was negligent and asking for trouble against someone in the quality of Sarr. He might be the only LB we have available, but not only putting him out there on his debut, putting Taylor Moore next to him was just plain daft. 1 minute in - exploited straight away.

Deano is probably the most tactically unaware manager I have seen in charge of this club, goes along the lines of just sticking 4 up front around 70th Minute months ago when chasing games

Towler isn't even a LB? Thought he was a CB, which makes it even worse. 

Simpson was on the radio before the game saying they'd told Towler to be more positive than he was at Sheff U and get forward more. Away at Watford in a position unfamiliar to him?! Utter madness. 

1 minute ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Towler isn't even a LB? Thought he was a CB, which makes it even worse. 

Simpson was on the radio before the game saying they'd told Towler to be more positive than he was at Sheff U and get forward more. Away at Watford in a position unfamiliar to him?! Utter madness. 

Simpson reminds me of Dave Dodds on Mike Bassett to be honest, the positive coach who has no idea what he's talking about 

19 minutes ago, brady bunch said:

The other player that has gone "under the radar" is Jamie Paterson, but Gregor does not allow this and sums him up perfectly. Our defense was poor, but lacked any real cover from the midfield. 

Patto made 1 (one) tackle all game and did nothing else, we may as well have played with 10 men.... Probably rushed back from injury, but another senior pro who badly let us down on Saturday.

Couldn't believe that Paterson could put in a worse display than he did at Reading but he exceeded my expectations 

23 minutes ago, brady bunch said:

Genuinely thought it was one of the most pathetic displays I’ve seen from a professional footballer. Thought he actually managed to be worse than any of the defenders, which is quite the achievement to be honest. I’m usually one of the more positive people about Paterson, but he was atrocious. 

How Diedhiou managed to get given a five as well! Only slightly better than Paterson.. Can be fairly sure judging by his commentary that Tinnion wouldn’t have been giving him anything that high!

2 hours ago, 2015 said:

Run out of likes, but this is spot on and why he needs to go ASAP, I can take losing, I understand the injuries, but he is just not up to the job

1 minute ago, bearded_red said:

Genuinely thought it was one of the most pathetic displays I’ve seen from a professional footballer. Thought he actually managed to be worse than any of the defenders, which is quite the achievement to be honest. I’m usually one of the more positive people about Paterson, but he was atrocious. 

How Diedhiou managed to get given a five as well! Only slightly better than Paterson.. Can be fairly sure judging by his commentary that Tinnion wouldn’t have been giving him anything that high!

Would have been interested to see Tinnion's mark on Taylor Moore!! It wouldn't have got near the 3 that Gregor gave him that's for sure.

Put simply - we were good yesterday. And took advantage of Bristol City’s malaise. But I don’t think there’s a club in the football league or above who wouldn’t have beaten them yesterday. They were utter tripe.

From the Watford forum on Saturday. That is truly damning of our display.

3 hours ago, brady bunch said:

Gregor has this spot on, I love the bit where he comments that Kalas seem to be expected by his team-mates to win the high ball and the second ball!! harsh but true and Towler being "throw to the wolves". Hindsight I know, but madness to have surrounded him with Moore and HSM, both weak tacklers and error prone... full link here: https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/sloppy-bristol-city-player-ratings-5002242

Dan Bentley - 5

Beaten early by Sarr's deflected cross before the same player slotted in and Sema blasted low past the onrushing goalkeeper. Good save late on to deny

Zak Vyner - 3

Off day for one of City's breakthrough players of this season as he made a costly mistake for Watford's second, as Cleverly picked off the loose pass.

Tomas Kalas - 5

Won plenty of high balls but seemed to be expected by his team-mates to also win the second ball too somehow.

Taylor Moore - 3

The centre-back was not helped by having an 18-year-old playing just his second game in front of him but too often the central defender came off second best in duels or reacting to the danger, such as being woefully out of position for the embarrassing second goal.

Jack Hunt - 4

Ineffective display at right-back as he tried to keep Joao Pedro in check. Didn't get forward for much of the game as the away side were penned in their own half.

Han-Noah Massengo - 5

The midfielder had a mixed afternoon: one of few to show urgency and ability on the ball including almost scoring in the last 10 but too many sloppy moments too as he lost possession for Watford to hit their fifth of the afternoon.

Henri Lansbury - 3

Lacked mobility in the middle and a little bit lucky to not be booked as he caught Sarr late around the hour mark. Looks off the pace still following his switch of club.

Jamie Paterson - 3

The attacking midfielder offered very little in this one, unable to beat his marker or propel his side forward. No interceptions made and just a single tackle, with no chances created or dribbles completed.

Ryley Towler - 3

Effectively thrown to the wolves as he was played out of position in his second league start against the £40m rated Sarr. Sink or swim and unfortunately it did not go well for the 18-year-old who was bypassed continually and taken off at the break. He'll learn from this

Famara Diedhiou - 5

The powerhouse striker could have been sent off for leading with an elbow just after the break but referee John Brooks took leniency. No service came his way and he had no shots. Reduced to defending corners only.

Antoine Semenyo - 5

The City forward carried the ball as well as anyone but wasn't able to create anything against the steadfast Hornets with City only managing one shot throughout.

Substitutions

Adrian Mariappa (for Towler, 45') - 6

The former Hornet put in his best performance yet for City, returning to his old stomping ground, flicking the ball down the line for Massengo in nonchalant fashion at one point.

Adam Nagy (for Moore, 45') - 6

Linked up nicely with Massengo at one point near the end of the game as City finally threatened the other end of the pitch.

Tyreeq Bakinson (Paterson, 62') - 6

Came on for Paterson late on and hit a decent shot at Bachmann's goal, but the ball slid wide.

Kasey Palmer (for Lansbury, 73') - n/a

Showed fight missing from the other players as he was booked wrestling the ball away from Joao Pedro to take a free-kick quickly.

Nahki Wells (for Diedhiou, 86') - n/a

Got the final few minutes as he replaced Diedhiou

Diedhiou 5? ? Did he forget the minus sign?

1 hour ago, 2015 said:

Put simply - we were good yesterday. And took advantage of Bristol City’s malaise. But I don’t think there’s a club in the football league or above who wouldn’t have beaten them yesterday. They were utter tripe.

Ridiculous!

We have no players who were born in Malaysia.   

Confirmed by BCFC fact checker.

3 hours ago, brady bunch said:

tbf if we're expecting pato to track back and put in tackles we are even more ****** than I thought...

6 hours ago, 2015 said:

Spot on. 

Injuries are one thing. But selection and tactics are another. Holden DIDN’T have to do what he did. 
Some point to inexperience in our line up too. Taylor Moore has 150 career appearances, 40+ in the Championship. Vyner has 120 career appearances, 69 in the Championship. 
The only inexperienced players out there were Massengo & Semenyo, along with the complete novice Towler (who, let’s point out, is not a left back, and is our 7th choice there, ergo - he needs help). 

Now, Sem & HNM both set up on the left side of the formation too.
To set up with Towler being ‘protected’ behind him by the hapless Moore, ‘protected’ inside him by the wholly inexperienced HNM, and ‘protected’ infront of him by Semenyo, was truly sending poor Ryley to the slaughter. 

It’s a shocking piece of management. But as said earlier, he didn’t have to do this. He could’ve played Nagy inside Towler to help him out. He could’ve played Wells as the left sided forward, to give him some experience infront of him. He could have played Mariappa as LCB, a player with masses of experience. Any 1 of these options would’ve helped Towler. All 3 of these options would’ve helped him massively. 

Injuries or not. There were options available. Those options weren’t taken. We ended up with the 4 players lined up on the left side as the 4 most inexperienced players, and up against the most expensive winger in the league!! What did we think would happen??? 

Holden showed an incredible naivety here. But he’s shown this all season. Since his 3-5-2 of the early games has been abandoned, he’s made multiple formation changes in EVERY game since about October. 
He’s not just changing formation week-to-week, or maybe once at half time or late in game, he’s changing formation with literally every substitution, sometimes 4 or 5 formation changes per game!! How can the players have any confidence in what they’re supposed to be doing? Every 10 minutes it’s like “Uhh, where am I playing now boss?”.  Poor Massengo played in 4 different positions in the 2nd half alone! He’s playing attacking midfielders as defensive midfielders. He’s playing a £5m striker as a left winger. He’s been playing players out of position all season, he’s been sticking 4 strikers on expecting it to get us back into a game. There is so so much ineptitude in his management, it’s truly shocking. 

He is totally out of his depth. I actually can’t believe that we are still in this position. I’ve got nothing against Dean, from what I’ve heard he’s a good coach, and I’d have no problem with him reverting to a coaching role with us. But he simply is not cut out to be a manager in one of the most competitive leagues in the world. I find it utterly baffling that he’s still in charge. 

12 minutes ago, Harry said:

He is totally out of his depth. I actually can’t believe that we are still in this position. I’ve got nothing against Dean, from what I’ve heard he’s a good coach, and I’d have no problem with him reverting to a coaching role with us. But he simply is not cut out to be a manager in one of the most competitive leagues in the world. I find it utterly baffling that he’s still in charge. 

He wouldn't be in charge of any other club at this level and that speaks volumes. His decision making time and time again is amateur, the coaches he brought in have offered nothing different to the usual and it has now exploited how inept the club are behind the scenes to take a month and a 'rigourous proces' to find their Man.

Sadly, nice blokes do not make good managers. I have nothing against the Man, but every game I am sat their scratching my head as to what I'm seeing on the pitch, even when we are winning matches, it's very much backs against the wall.

I worry about the upcoming Summer if Holden is still in charge, with the contract situations and getting the right players in. I have zero confidence in Mark Ashton and Dean Holden that they can get it right.

Archived