IGNORED

We ARE an attractive proposition

Silvio Dante

4 hours ago, Silvio Dante said:

I’m seeing a lot of comments that we may struggle to attract a decent candidate for the next head coach. I get it, but am completely in the opposite camp for the following reasons:

The Job

In English football terms, for most coaches the top 10 jobs are unattainable and the next five barely attainable. If you look at the initial list, even Howe would only have Newcastle, WBA, Fulham, Palace and Burnley (if not for prior) looking at him. From a championship level, we are one of the top ten jobs when you look at potential, financial position, stadium infrastructure and owner. There aren’t many jobs in football. Why would anyone on that list rule this job out? It’s probably one of the best attainable jobs available 

The Opportunity

Are we less attractive than the summer? Yes, undoubtedly. Any job is better in the summer. But this is as close to a free hit as a coach could get. We need 12 more points and any half decent boss should feel confident of getting us there. He then has time to also fully assess the squad, and work out what he needs in the summer. With some established earners OOC (Hunt, Pato, Weimann, Fam, Lansbury, Watkins, Baker, Rowe), there is room to free up wages. So you have a clear idea on the weaknesses in the squad and can address them in the summer - much like with Cotts recruitment 

MAs diminishing influence

This is hope, but founded hope - as I know anyone’s answer to why coaches won’t come here is Ashton. The big takeaway for me from the last 48 hours has been SL appears to have grabbed the reins, taken the decisions - and quite key on RB confirmed MAs strengths, but also addressed the weaknesses (trading, the football side). This leaves me with some confidence that although MA will still be here, the new boss will have far more room to influence recruitment and playing matters. Might be wrong, but I sense the blocker may not be a blocker. I also think we won’t appoint a mate of MAs and SL may want “profile” this time.

Overall

This is a job where you can go into an established championship club with a supportive owner (DH was backed with players). You get first use of new training facilities, an ability to assess a squad in the remaining games which due to contracts you have scope to reshape in the summer. The points target should be attainable for any decent boss. The one perceived blocker may not be such an issue.

So, with all that considered, why the hell would you not?

Would love to share your optimism about reduced influence of MA. A leopard doesn't change its spots and the only way to reduce his influence is to sack him or move him so far sideways he leaves of his own accord

4 hours ago, Silvio Dante said:

I’m seeing a lot of comments that we may struggle to attract a decent candidate for the next head coach. I get it, but am completely in the opposite camp for the following reasons:

The Job

In English football terms, for most coaches the top 10 jobs are unattainable and the next five barely attainable. If you look at the initial list, even Howe would only have Newcastle, WBA, Fulham, Palace and Burnley (if not for prior) looking at him. From a championship level, we are one of the top ten jobs when you look at potential, financial position, stadium infrastructure and owner. There aren’t many jobs in football. Why would anyone on that list rule this job out? It’s probably one of the best attainable jobs available 

The issue with Howe is that Newcastle, WBA, Fulham, Palace and Burnley are all better options than us by a substantial amount. From a Championship level we may be a top 10 job by those standards but managers/coaches don't just look at potential, they look at the area they would have to live, the history of the club and the current squad.
Looking at this job I would look at the positives you mentioned but I would also be thinking "This is a club that hasn't been in the top flight since 1980", I'd also be looking at the fact that we have a massive injury issue and a large squad that would require a lot of trimming down before you could mould it into your own. Knowing how much we've lost FFP will also be a concern atm, meaning we'd have to sell high and buy low, hardly a great selling point.

The best type of appointment we could make is not only someone who can make great signings but more importantly a manager/coach who can look at a mixed bag of players and compile a solid game plan which can adapt to the opposition whilst getting the most out of the players who are currently being wasted.

The Opportunity

Are we less attractive than the summer? Yes, undoubtedly. Any job is better in the summer. But this is as close to a free hit as a coach could get. We need 12 more points and any half decent boss should feel confident of getting us there. He then has time to also fully assess the squad, and work out what he needs in the summer. With some established earners OOC (Hunt, Pato, Weimann, Fam, Lansbury, Watkins, Baker, Rowe), there is room to free up wages. So you have a clear idea on the weaknesses in the squad and can address them in the summer - much like with Cotts recruitment 

Whilst 12 points to survive is something a coach/manager should be confident of achieving it becomes less convincing when we have so many players being injured. I'd agree that we may be able to make more wages available by letting go of players we still have a large squad and of the players you mentioned we won't be getting much back in terms of transfer fees meaning any signings would most likely have to be free agents or bargain buys, hardly the inspiring sell for a new manager who is expected to get top 6 in one of the most difficult leagues in the world in which to get promotion.

MAs diminishing influence

This is hope, but founded hope - as I know anyone’s answer to why coaches won’t come here is Ashton. The big takeaway for me from the last 48 hours has been SL appears to have grabbed the reins, taken the decisions - and quite key on RB confirmed MAs strengths, but also addressed the weaknesses (trading, the football side). This leaves me with some confidence that although MA will still be here, the new boss will have far more room to influence recruitment and playing matters. Might be wrong, but I sense the blocker may not be a blocker. I also think we won’t appoint a mate of MAs and SL may want “profile” this time.

This for me is also something I really hope is the case, however I still worry that whilst MA is here in any capacity he'll be sticking his nose in. I hope MA's role is changed but I just can't see SL allowing someone to come in and run the future of this club without someone keeping tabs and putting some blocks in place.

Overall

This is a job where you can go into an established championship club with a supportive owner (DH was backed with players). You get first use of new training facilities, an ability to assess a squad in the remaining games which due to contracts you have scope to reshape in the summer. The points target should be attainable for any decent boss. The one perceived blocker may not be such an issue.

So, with all that considered, why the hell would you not?

Why not? Lots of injuries, no real stand out players, a club that hasn't been top flight for 40 years, better opportunities if you're established etc This club definitely has a lot of potential, it really does but it's also a very hard job based on the expectations that the owner has created. There are a lot more teams that an established manager can go, either in the Premiership where the transfer money is bigger, the fixtures aren't as demanding, the level is higher and so is the pay cheque etc or in the Championship where the squads are stronger and can offer better wages to draw those key players in.

Simply put if I was Eddie Howe, and I was approached now by us I'd be thinking that in the summer there will be better jobs available with a bigger payday, probably better squads and maybe even some money to spend on wages. The board will have to sell us well to make us seem like a better option than a club like Newcastle or WBA and SL would definitely have to take another financial hit with staff needing to be let go for Howe's preferred team to come in as I couldn't see Howe ever entertaining the idea of keeping our staff rather than bring in his own.

A great post but I feel there are some counterarguments.

49 minutes ago, Spike said:

A great post but I feel there are some counterarguments.

Some excellent points raised.

Two very good posts there which give a lot of food for thought. 

Do we go short term, stay up and hope to regain a bit of stock for the summer, then we can see what’s what and who’s available?

Do we go balls deep to get Steve’s man now? 

Going to be interesting to see what happens and certainly  feels like a big decision this one.  

Archived