IGNORED

Finances there for new head coach, but Liam Walsh not offered contract.

Fordy62

On 20/02/2021 at 18:43, Fordy62 said:

I also have an obsession with ‘your’ and ‘you’re’, but that’d probably bore you as much as it apparently did in English all those years ago. 

PS, he would. 

I'm completely with you on this.

Yet I can go further. PS can also be written P.S.

However, PS followed by a comma is entirely inappropriate.You must have been on duty for that lesson.

PS He might but that's just speculation. Smith, Freeman and Ayling were easy calls to make as they had all been first team regulars in a promotion side and had no natural successors.

16 minutes ago, Robbored said:

That’s what I’m asking - if he’s not been offered a contract then I assume he’ll be released

Apart from Fam, I don't think ant of the OOC players have been offered new contracts. That said there were rumours before the start of this season that he had and offer and was considering it. The club has set it's stall out to wait and see where the financial levels are come summer, not expected to be the money or contracts around, that players could have reasonably expected Pre- COVID. Brave? Foolhardy? I guess time will tell, but I think those that they are interested in keeping would have have some talks to explain why we are holding off. Only one or two would be expected to stay I would have thought, specially with the new manager here now. 

46 minutes ago, Robbored said:

That’s what I’m asking - if he’s not been offered a contract then I assume he’ll be released

They will review closer to the end of the season. I'm sure if he puts in performances now he's fit again, gets on with Pearson and both parties want to remain at Bristol City they will. Just as a new contract hasn't been offered doesn't mean someone is released, he's still in a contract at the moment. 

1 hour ago, Robbored said:

So how would we "know 100% he's been released"? He obviously can't be released yet he's still in contract. Assuming sounds like speculation to me

21 minutes ago, Selred said:

They will review closer to the end of the season. I'm sure if he puts in performances now he's fit again, gets on with Pearson and both parties want to remain at Bristol City they will. Just as a new contract hasn't been offered doesn't mean someone is released, he's still in a contract at the moment. 

Of course but unfortunately for all concerned he’s been missing all season so is clearly vulnerable in terms of a new deal. 11 remaining games - not many opportunities to impress Big Nige 

If he’s fit enough after 90mins midweek he may get a start today but more likely a place on the bench. 

55 minutes ago, Selred said:

I guess NOT having had a contract put on the table doesn’t mean discussions haven’t happened....to what degree we don’t know.  But at least we know discussions have started to take place with some players.

24 minutes ago, steviestevieneville said:

financially to replace fam it’ll cost , but as a player I think we can do much better . You can see that Pearson gets frustrated with his lack ball retention , which is a massive flaw of his & I just don’t see him fitting long term under nige

I look at it the other way....financially it will cost to keep Fam....£30k p.w. over 3 years is £4.5m.  I’m hoping that NP sees that there might be better and cheaper options than Fam, ones for longer term too.

1 minute ago, Davefevs said:

I guess NOT having had a contract put on the table doesn’t mean discussions haven’t happened....to what degree we don’t know.  But at least we know discussions have started to take place with some players.

I look at it the other way....financially it will cost to keep Fam....£30k p.w. over 3 years is £4.5m.  I’m hoping that NP sees that there might be better and cheaper options than Fam, ones for longer term too.

Good point . If fam is good enough to earn £30k per week then  football finance really has gone mental . He’s not worth half that in my opinion & under these covid times I can’t see anyone paying him that , even as a free transfer. 

1 minute ago, steviestevieneville said:

Good point . If fam is good enough to earn £30k per week then  football finance really has gone mental . He’s not worth half that in my opinion & under these covid times I can’t see anyone paying him that , even as a free transfer. 

As we allegedly saw with Dijon in January....fee agreed, wages not!!!

I do think there was some truth in that rumour too.

22 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

As we allegedly saw with Dijon in January....fee agreed, wages not!!!

I do think there was some truth in that rumour too.

I’m amazed the club would even consider that sum & didn’t just laugh him out of the room. Nobody’s worth that at championship level . Certainly not now. 

1 minute ago, steviestevieneville said:

I’m amazed the club would even consider that sum & didn’t just laugh him out of the room. Nobody’s worth that at championship level . Certainly not now. 

I’m actually disappointed the club thought he was deserving of the best / one of the best contracts ever, let alone announce that in the current climate.

9 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I’m actually disappointed the club thought he was deserving of the best / one of the best contracts ever, let alone announce that in the current climate.

Agree, I don't rate him at all and would like him off the wage bill with a younger better option in his place..

5 hours ago, 1960maaan said:

To start, I like Fam but ......

After seeing him this season, more with his partnerships than what he has brought, I'd be tempted to start looking elsewhere. He may get more than we offered, in which case , cheers, seeyah ! But I'm not sure that money for an in and out, 13 goal a year player will be there come the summer. Maybe be on the look out for a pacy young striker from lower Leagues or even loan.
Effectively the money we had invested in him has gone, a new deal will still leave little or no value come the end of it, and is he really the best use of that amount of wages? IMO I would say no. 
There is a chance he may come back looking for that contract, in which case great, but I would give him nowhere near what was suggested. If he stays now, has to be on (at best) the same deal he has currently. 

For me it’s time to have a centre forward who is technically able to link our play. Fam for all his power and decent scoring record is very hit and miss, anyone running off him wouldn’t have a clue if the ball will ‘stick’ with him, or he will miss-control it. We need a main focus up top, that the other players will know what will happen next, so they can make runs and be fairly confident those runs will enable them to receive the ball.

At the moment, none of us know what will happen next when Fam receives the ball, whereas Chris Martin ( for instance) will look after it and enable others to get forward in confidence. 

Just my opinion! 

6 minutes ago, Portland Bill said:

For me it’s time to have a centre forward who is technically able to link our play. Fam for all his power and decent scoring record is very hit and miss, anyone running off him wouldn’t have a clue if the ball will ‘stick’ with him, or he will miss-control it. We need a main focus up top, that the other players will know what will happen next, so they can make runs and be fairly confident those runs will enable them to receive the ball.

At the moment, none of us know what will happen next when Fam receives the ball, whereas Chris Martin ( for instance) will look after it and enable others to get forward in confidence. 

Just my opinion! 

Agree totally . We need a Chris Martin with pace imo . Technically very good , good brain etc 

27 minutes ago, Portland Bill said:

Just my opinion! 

It would never happen, of course, but from the limited highlights I have seen, Wael’s (admittedly raw and inexperienced) Jonah would fit the bill should he continue to improve.

Archived