IGNORED

Areas Nigel Pearson will want to work on from Tuesday? To Build from a position of Strength.

Mr Popodopolous

13 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

I think a lot depends on how Pearson sees it with the players. He played 4-2-3-1 at Watford but - as the link @TonyTonyTony posted earlier in the thread shows - a lot of that was a tactic around getting the most of the talents of Sarr on the right of an attacking three.

Whilst I think Semenyo has a lot of potential, I'm far from convinced he'd have the same impact Sarr had within the same system. It may well be that one thing Pearson observed on Tuesday - and this is not a sentence I expected to write prior to the game - is how well Famara and Wells linked up in the game, along with how effective Bakinson's forward balls were and how well Nagy linked play. I wonder if the tactics he uses are about maximising those strengths for the next few months and then evolving the team if he is kept on next year and can bring in his own players. 

Excellent points.  He is a pragmatist I think and will want to ensure strengths are played to and weaknesses worked on.  I can imagine he will want to see as much of the squad in games as possible to see who might be worth a new (reduced) contract.

I wonder what effect his presence will have on Fam and Wells. They are clearly our best 2 forwards and should be able to form an effective partnership. Up to Tuesday that's not happened under LJ and Holden. 

He'll clearly need to get stellar CB and RBs signed plus wide players. Only COD and Semenyo are under contract next season.

1 hour ago, Alessandro said:

Surely - given the time scale, same line up for Swansea, unless there are any new injuries or returning players. We'd match them up then too?

Yeah - the other issue is some players might be a little fatigued by a fifth game in just over two weeks but given that we have just won convincingly after a run of defeats, and the fact Pearson will not have had much chance to fully assess the squad and impose his own tactics yet, you would expect roughly the same team and system initially and tweaks to come as he gets more time to work with the players.

On 25/02/2021 at 08:20, Floatn Over said:

Hopefully there will be an improvement in performances to the end of the season due to NP’s influence, player confidence rising and injuries recover.  If then the club can strike a deal to retain him, something I feel more confident of after the interview, I think we might see some unexpected signings, similar to when Cotts recruited Wilbs, not necessarily expensive just NP saying “yes I know he’s 28 and is at X club but that is who I see running our midfield etc” fans and the club will need to show trust in such decisions.

Also some of our existing players converted into slightly different contributors, three I think might benefit from NP’s influences are HNM, COD and TM, the latter particularly.

I liked very much the interview comments on player development.

Obviously NP wants a longer term deal than just to the end of the season!

If the current players can’t or won’t adapt to his demands and get the results he expects then they either get moved on in the summer or NP cuts his losses and parts company 

I would suggest that the former is more likely and a lot of players are playing for a new contract and need to start impressing the new Manager 

I fancy us to beat Swansea tomorrow and also start climbing the table and the next few weeks are going to be quite interesting. The impact NP has will tell us exactly how good we can be and ive not quite giving up hope of the play offs

Archived