IGNORED

Big Nige post match comments

Robbored

It's a small thing but something I'd like to see bought back is making the squad wear a suit on matchday. We did this under Gary J and under Cotterill. They come to the game in the suits and change into kit when they arrive.

Small steps like that help breed professionalism and focus imo. I don't think them sauntering up in grey Hummell tracksuits has the same effect. 

2 hours ago, Will Rollason said:

I worry for bakinson. I think he's a player for another era. languid... talented...and his whole deamenour is "passive"

I'm nor sure he can play any other way. I really like him as a footballer and want him to succeed but I can't see it playing in a Nigel Pearson team.. not after his comments yesterday. 

⬇️⬇️⬇️

2 hours ago, Shuffle said:

The worrying thing with Bakinson who seems incapable of playing 3 games in a week. He hits a great pass but has no pace or desire to make a tackle. Clearly got ability but needs to do more to kick on 

⬇️⬇️⬇️

2 hours ago, billywedlock said:

He will have had the facts of life explained to him by now. He won't be in a NP squad next season with that approach. 

I sense from the post-match presser that NP will be testing Tyreeq’s make-up this week.  Like others have said I think he sees something in him, and if he’s willing to learn and work hard he can become a good player.  If he doesn’t then he will be bombed.  He will be an interesting one to watch over the remaining 11 games.

1 hour ago, Phileas Fogg said:

I agree. I notice that Bakinson was one of the players who made a social media post about Holden going - the general point being he was grateful that Holden gave him the opportunity.

I get the impression with Bakinson (from the way his form is patchy both here and at loan clubs) is that he can get a bit complacent. He has that languid style that can make him appear lazy so that doesn't help. I reckon Pearson has sussed him out pretty quickly and hauling him off like that so early in the game is all part of a long term strategy for managing his development. 

I suspect subbing on Pearson was also symbolic rather than tactical - showing the more seasoned pros that he's not afraid to replace them.

Yep, and not just Bakinson too.

1 hour ago, Son of Fred said:

If Pearson stays to orchestrate the 'shake-up Semenyo gets nowhere near the first team next season..

Along with several others!

I think it’s interesting that he bracketed Antoine in with the youngsters in describing their performances over the past week.  For many of us Semenyo is a first teamed, even if not a starter, we see him as a match day squad member.  Pearson appears to see him as another of the Academy kids coming through.

Like many on Otib, I really rate Nige.  He is the real deal.  Just hope our ‘blazers’ recognise it.   God knows how but they have finally got the right man and must now give him time and support.  This club has needed a reboot for decades.

In Nige we trust, more strength to his elbow.

I think that there is an interesting comparison between the development of Vyner, Semenyo and Bakinson. Each of them has brought out the OTIB ‘marmite’ comments ranging from “brilliant talent” to “never going to make it at this level”.

Much of the discussion/opinion has also been around what is the best position for each of them. At present Vyner is making a strong case and now certainly I feel can be trusted as a first team player. Antoine still has a bit to do but has massively improved his work rate and awareness but still a lot to learn. Bakinson displays the lethargy that  Vyner and Antoine showed in games last year so I suspect that is a lack of experience and may well come. 

I noticed NP hesitated before replying to whether it was a tactical change with Baks as I suspect he wanted to say it was more about discipline and following instructions but settled on tactical as he will keep that in house. I think maybe DH would have ‘protected’ Baks more by not taking him off as early and potentially affecting his confidence. Nige however probably more old school attitude of not carrying passengers and teaching young players that he won’t make allowances for their age because the opposition won’t. By picking him yesterday he showed him that he will forgive mistakes but by hauling him off he is saying if you don’t listen then you don’t play. A simple but effective lesson for all the players. 

4 hours ago, 77 punk said:

the bristol city holiday camp is closing in summer for good

My Lord I Hope You Are Right!

We have turned Mediocrity into a target to achieve for over 40 years. The amount of players that have come here and coasted for four decades is insane (some of them while boozing, womanizing, drug taking and smoking) pro athletes my ass! 

Archived