IGNORED

BeNe League

italian dave

The article doesn't say whether the Dutch clubs are in favour but assuming they are the next step would presumably obtaining UEFA sanction. Given that other nations clubs play in non-domestic leagues this shouldn't be a problem. 

Economically I can see the attraction. While both nations have produced a plethora of world class players over the years, they have nearly all drifted away from their home country as there is no money in either the Jupiler League or Eredivisie. A BeNe league should enable better TV and sponsorship deals. 

Interesting to see if European qualification will be solely on league placings or whether there will be any compunction to ensure both nations are represented. 

12 hours ago, italian dave said:

Interesting proposal from Belgium/Netherlands.

Wonder what our friends from Tilburg make of it

https://www.euronews.com/2021/03/16/football-clubs-in-belgium-vote-to-merge-with-dutch-league

Willem are also ‘friends’ with Royal Antwerp. 
Wonder what would happen to that relationship if they suddenly become rivals?? 

I can see there being various regional leagues now.  I'd be quite happy for Cardiff and Swansea to go to a Celtic League. Do not get why they are a separate nation but allowed clubs in the English league.  

Not sure they could resurrect the Yugoslav league given how central football was to the outbreak of the civil war.

Could also see some kind of central european league working  - Hungary, Czechs, Slovaks, Austria or maybe a Balkan league with Romania, Bulgaria, Serbia etc.

1 hour ago, The Bard said:

I can see there being various regional leagues now.  I'd be quite happy for Cardiff and Swansea to go to a Celtic League. Do not get why they are a separate nation but allowed clubs in the English league.  

Not sure they could resurrect the Yugoslav league given how central football was to the outbreak of the civil war.

Could also see some kind of central european league working  - Hungary, Czechs, Slovaks, Austria or maybe a Balkan league with Romania, Bulgaria, Serbia etc.

I suggest Rovers should join the Bristol & District League ?

This makes sense, and there is a key difference between it and any Celtic/Rangers etc proposal.

Per UEFA coefficients, the Dutch and Belgian leagues are ranked 7 and 9. I.e they’re seen as having an overall broadly similar strength. By comparison, England vs Scotland is 2 vs 11. 

If you have two leagues with broadly similar strength, then merging becomes easier. If you have 20 in each top division, then the top 10 in each form new division 1, bottom 10 new division 2 etc. I’d imagine they’d want guarantees from UEFA over European places, but that seems the biggest hurdle here.

Compare that with England/Scotland. Could you jettison Aston Villa for St Johnstone for example?

57 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

I’m not having that. Let them start at their proper level and work up to the Bristol and District League.

Bit unfair , couple of signings and I think they could be solid mid table.

8 hours ago, The Bard said:

Berwick Rangers from England also play in the Scottish system.

There was talk some years back of forming "the Atlantic League". Dunno why they chose that name,  but it was argued that there's only two decent teams in Holland, Belgium, Scotland and Portugal etc. Therefore the competition would be better if they left their domestic leagues and joined in this new one.

At the time UEFA said no, but these days who knows?

Can't work this out at all - surely if you merge UEFA doesn't simply combine their coefficients and give them the combined number of European places, so in effect they're signing up to compete for less European places, and which of the bigger teams in either country is going to agree to that? Unless very long term thinking.

In case anyone is wondering, Portugal and Spain will not be doing this. For one thing it would make it much harder to know who to bribe.

15 hours ago, Olé said:

Can't work this out at all - surely if you merge UEFA doesn't simply combine their coefficients and give them the combined number of European places, so in effect they're signing up to compete for less European places, and which of the bigger teams in either country is going to agree to that? Unless very long term thinking.

In case anyone is wondering, Portugal and Spain will not be doing this. For one thing it would make it much harder to know who to bribe.

Exactly, and what happens if individual associations have different opinions on releasing players for international duty, who has final say?  What if one nation has different regulation re work permits than another, or tax breaks, or.....

Archived