IGNORED

Seasons panning out

22A

As City fans we're all too accustomed to  City starting a season well and it then training off, just like this one has.

Can anyone recall a season where we got off to a bad start and then improved?

1905/06 we lost the opening game 5-1 and then won the next 14! I'm looking though for a run of bad results and then a change in fortunes.

There are plenty. Just in recent years 2013-14 comes to mind. First season back in League One, twelve games in we were still winless and bottom of the table. Enter Cotts, and we finished 12th. The following season, well we all know...

Before that, in 2010-11, we only won one of our first 15, and by mid October were again bottom of the league. That run had come after Coppell left in August and Millen took over. But he turned things around slowly, and we eventually started winning. After a terrible start that season we finished 15th.

29 minutes ago, 22A said:

As City fans we're all too accustomed to  City starting a season well and it then training off, just like this one has.

1905/06 we lost the opening game 5-1 and then won the next 14! I'm looking though for a run of bad results and then a change in fortunes.

Blige, your memory is good. ???

38 minutes ago, 22A said:

I remember it well!

47 minutes ago, OneCity said:

There are plenty. Just in recent years 2013-14 comes to mind. First season back in League One, twelve games in we were still winless and bottom of the table. Enter Cotts, and we finished 12th. The following season, well we all know...

Before that, in 2010-11, we only won one of our first 15, and by mid October were again bottom of the league. That run had come after Coppell left in August and Millen took over. But he turned things around slowly, and we eventually started winning. After a terrible start that season we finished 15th.

I had to look the 10/11 season up, I knew it was bad, but it was still not quite as bad as you said, it was 1 win in our first 13 (1 of those a cup game, Coppell’s 2nd & final game in charge).

Millen takes a lot of flak at times but he absolutely did turn us round that season after the Coppell fiasco, we won 6, drew 2 & only lost 1 of the following 9 games.

2 minutes ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

85/86 I think we lost our first 5 games. Ended up winning at Wembley.

We did, it was the 5-0 Bournemouth Gary Emmanuel season.

Still finished 9th, despite giving the whole league a 4 match start.

Archived