IGNORED

Bristol City owner Steve Lansdown flies in to address major issues at Ashton Gate

chucky

22 minutes ago, Superjack said:

I hope that I am wrong but I don't think it's going to be Pearson, unfortunately. 

Lansdown has said that there were long term targets and I stand to be corrected, but I think he also said that Pearson wasn't one of them.

I can't see any believable reason that Pearson wouldn't already have been offered a contract if Lansdown wanted him next season.

Unless it will not be concluded until City are mathematically safe?

That could be on Sunday if Rotherham lose and we get a point at least. 

6 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

Unless it will not be concluded until City are mathematically safe?

That could be on Sunday if Rotherham lose and we get a point at least. 

I think it's this, neither side will want to commit while relegation is still possible.

5 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

he couldn't meet Nige face-to-face until this week due to the football "bubble" protocol. 

Is that the one that says you can't meet Nige until his bubble has burst?

Got to love these type of threads, all the experts on here making judgement without a clue what is actually going on or why, but hey don't miss an opportunity to attack the club.

Like most of you I also know sweet FA, but my take is

We have just lost our CEO (who may or may not been involved in the Ipswich takeover, but suspect SL knows of his involvement hence why he trusts him to continue in some capacity, but likely nothing new that is sensitive). We will require a replacement and or possible a change of structure, this may be advanced or affected by other factors.

SL has talked of wanting an investor, these things do not happen over night or in public, so on going talks could affect the future set up.

NP, has an agreement to end of season, is smart enough to be very candid on commenting about what he knows or has been told by SL, and publicly stated he is comfortable waiting until then (perhaps as he understands and knows about the bigger picture)

SL & JL may be in daily contact and very active in current running of club, these days you no longer need to be sat in an office at the club to run it.

Players contracts, again some will be dependent on the new manager or investment

Perhaps we have to have patient and let a very successful business man get on with it, instead of pretending to know better how to run a multi million pound organisation or being disgusted by apparent failings without knowing the bigger picture

Heres a terrifying thought picked up only by reading this thread.

It has been stated that they met.

MA said SL asked him to stay.

MAs name has been removed from the Ipswich home page.

City are not advertising for a new CEO.

MA is therefore staying with us??

1 minute ago, marmite said:

Or the web guy jumped the gun and cannot put MA as CEO as still employed by BCFC

43 minutes ago, Superjack said:

I hope that I am wrong but I don't think it's going to be Pearson, unfortunately. 

Lansdown has said that there were long term targets and I stand to be corrected, but I think he also said that Pearson wasn't one of them.

I can't see any believable reason that Pearson wouldn't already have been offered a contract if Lansdown wanted him next season.

there was something in The Post saying that Nige was the only one who would accept a short-term contract…it sounded like he wasn't first choice.

5 minutes ago, marmite said:

Of all the unfounded guesswork on here this one will certainly take some beating.

He’s going to Ipswich.

9 minutes ago, sh1t_ref_again said:

Perhaps we have to have patients and let a very successful business man get on with it, instead of pretending to know better how to run a multi million pound organisation or being disgusted by apparent failings without knowing the bigger picture

No thanks.....  we've had quite enough of those this season thank you very much!

23 minutes ago, marmite said:

Are you trying to spoil a lovely day? ?

25 minutes ago, marmite said:

His name was removed simply because he isn't employed by Ipswich until June 1st. It's been officially announced that he takes over at Ipswich then by both us and Ipswich.

6 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

His name was removed simply because he isn't employed by Ipswich until June 1st. It's been officially announced that he takes over at Ipswich then by both us and Ipswich.

I was being a bit tongue in cheek with my post.

This all seems some such a mess of a situation culminating in poor performances and results on the field. From the outside it seems obvious that the powers that be should be able to see all the problems that the fans can see.

I can only guess that the positive scenario/conclusion on this is that there are significant actions and negotiations going on which are about to bring significant changes to the structure of the running of the football club.

If this isn’t happening with any scale of urgency measured against a timeline of preparing for a new season which includes the playing side and income (i.e. getting us punters to commit to another season), then we should all be shocked that seemingly successful and savvy owners would appear at worst ignorant and incompetent, or unaware, naive and complacent.

I would guess that SL knew for some time of MA’s circumstances/plans and may also be negotiating with new investors as we speak.

I also look at the try before you buy arrangement with Pearson was so each party could suss out their potential working relationship, particularly on SL’s side. He seems wary of bigger name, strong characters, which in football terms can empty his pockets. 

More importantly, I think he has seen this arrangement as like getting in an experienced troubleshooter business consultant in to evaluate the whole operation and file their report at the end of the season. Whatever is said in public, I’m pretty sure NP is and will be doing this. Remember, SL looks at his project which he publicly has stated is about ultimately delivering Prem football to Bristol City FC. and although timescales may have been a bit woolly on this, he would certainly think this model has failed in key areas and although there is progress in facilities and academy development, it is visibly going backwards. 

We can assume that the recent results has understandably cast doubts from SL on NP being here longer term. However, I think it probably has been (should have been!) a huge wake up call to just how the performance of our football operations has so badly regressed over the last few years (our year on year improvement had reversed since the last LJ season (to be generous with time scales - I actually think the seeds of this regression were sown after the 17/18 season). Whatever we think of NP, I think we can all agree that there needs to be a fundamental change in the future running and mentality of the football performance side, and let’s be honest, whoever came in under the present circumstances, would have really struggled under the present circumstances (and NP may not have been my first choice for Manager - but I do think he can be good for this moment in our history even if he doesn’t deliver the Holy Grail straight away, he may lay stronger foundations for someone else to do it soon after).

We’ve got a new High Performance centre - FFS let’s try living up to it now!

FWIW I could see NP will be taken on if he wants the job and will no doubt be giving an idea to SL what it will take, including the coaching and crucially recruitment side. I think it is happening but they can’t say publicly yet for all sorts of contractual reasons, etc, etc. 

If NP isn’t staying, then the biggest result and best legacy he can leave in his short reign can be the delivery of some pretty damning, yet constructive, home truths concerning the football operations of this club. It might, just might, waken our club out of years of complacency and a instil a winning mentality instead of it’ll do attitude amongst everyone...including many of us as supporters and I’ve been as guilty as any of this over the years as a lot of us.

Since I’ve supported City too many years ago, all I ask is to have a fair few more enjoyable moments of feeling immense pride of coming from Bristol and supporting this club. A winning mentality, but not just the results. The excitement, a winning attitude by showing some passion towards how we go about playing. That sense of anticipation of games coming up. Deep down its still there for me, as it obviously is for most people on this forum whatever their differing opinions. Win or lose it would be nice to feel we’ve enjoyed the whole event of going to a game again.

Yep, it is your money SL, and we are grateful to you for delivering facilities that are great and still have a stable football team to follow. But now the biggest challenge is for you to put your trust in appointing some experienced, demanding, driven and possibly spikey football people who can put things back on track. The whole philosophy that you have wanted doesn’t have to change. But a lot of the people who have so far executed your vision quite obviously need to.

Onwards and Upwards or Sideways and Downwards? Over to you Mr Lansdown...

17 minutes ago, ray savino said:

This all seems some such a mess of a situation culminating in poor performances and results on the field. From the outside it seems obvious that the powers that be should be able to see all the problems that the fans can see.

I can only guess that the positive scenario/conclusion on this is that there are significant actions and negotiations going on which are about to bring significant changes to the structure of the running of the football club.

If this isn’t happening with any scale of urgency measured against a timeline of preparing for a new season which includes the playing side and income (i.e. getting us punters to commit to another season), then we should all be shocked that seemingly successful and savvy owners would appear at worst ignorant and incompetent, or unaware, naive and complacent.

I would guess that SL knew for some time of MA’s circumstances/plans and may also be negotiating with new investors as we speak.

I also look at the try before you buy arrangement with Pearson was so each party could suss out their potential working relationship, particularly on SL’s side. He seems wary of bigger name, strong characters, which in football terms can empty his pockets. 

More importantly, I think he has seen this arrangement as like getting in an experienced troubleshooter business consultant in to evaluate the whole operation and file their report at the end of the season. Whatever is said in public, I’m pretty sure NP is and will be doing this. Remember, SL looks at his project which he publicly has stated is about ultimately delivering Prem football to Bristol City FC. and although timescales may have been a bit woolly on this, he would certainly think this model has failed in key areas and although there is progress in facilities and academy development, it is visibly going backwards. 

We can assume that the recent results has understandably cast doubts from SL on NP being here longer term. However, I think it probably has been (should have been!) a huge wake up call to just how the performance of our football operations has so badly regressed over the last few years (our year on year improvement had reversed since the last LJ season (to be generous with time scales - I actually think the seeds of this regression were sown after the 17/18 season). Whatever we think of NP, I think we can all agree that there needs to be a fundamental change in the future running and mentality of the football performance side, and let’s be honest, whoever came in under the present circumstances, would have really struggled under the present circumstances (and NP may not have been my first choice for Manager - but I do think he can be good for this moment in our history even if he doesn’t deliver the Holy Grail straight away, he may lay stronger foundations for someone else to do it soon after).

We’ve got a new High Performance centre - FFS let’s try living up to it now!

FWIW I could see NP will be taken on if he wants the job and will no doubt be giving an idea to SL what it will take, including the coaching and crucially recruitment side. I think it is happening but they can’t say publicly yet for all sorts of contractual reasons, etc, etc. 

If NP isn’t staying, then the biggest result and best legacy he can leave in his short reign can be the delivery of some pretty damning, yet constructive, home truths concerning the football operations of this club. It might, just might, waken our club out of years of complacency and a instil a winning mentality instead of it’ll do attitude amongst everyone...including many of us as supporters and I’ve been as guilty as any of this over the years as a lot of us.

Since I’ve supported City too many years ago, all I ask is to have a fair few more enjoyable moments of feeling immense pride of coming from Bristol and supporting this club. A winning mentality, but not just the results. The excitement, a winning attitude by showing some passion towards how we go about playing. That sense of anticipation of games coming up. Deep down its still there for me, as it obviously is for most people on this forum whatever their differing opinions. Win or lose it would be nice to feel we’ve enjoyed the whole event of going to a game again.

Yep, it is your money SL, and we are grateful to you for delivering facilities that are great and still have a stable football team to follow. But now the biggest challenge is for you to put your trust in appointing some experienced, demanding, driven and possibly spikey football people who can put things back on track. The whole philosophy that you have wanted doesn’t have to change. But a lot of the people who have so far executed your vision quite obviously need to.

Onwards and Upwards or Sideways and Downwards? Over to you Mr Lansdown...

Well said. Its certainly time to toughen up. For too long  BCFC has been Being Content Feeling Comfortable.

1 hour ago, sh1t_ref_again said:

Got to love these type of threads, all the experts on here making judgement without a clue what is actually going on or why, but hey don't miss an opportunity to attack the club.

Like most of you I also know sweet FA, but my take is

We have just lost our CEO (who may or may not been involved in the Ipswich takeover, but suspect SL knows of his involvement hence why he trusts him to continue in some capacity, but likely nothing new that is sensitive). We will require a replacement and or possible a change of structure, this may be advanced or affected by other factors.

SL has talked of wanting an investor, these things do not happen over night or in public, so on going talks could affect the future set up.

NP, has an agreement to end of season, is smart enough to be very candid on commenting about what he knows or has been told by SL, and publicly stated he is comfortable waiting until then (perhaps as he understands and knows about the bigger picture)

SL & JL may be in daily contact and very active in current running of club, these days you no longer need to be sat in an office at the club to run it.

Players contracts, again some will be dependent on the new manager or investment

Perhaps we have to have patient and let a very successful business man get on with it, instead of pretending to know better how to run a multi million pound organisation or being disgusted by apparent failings without knowing the bigger picture

And all that would be fine, had Steve himself not said that he can’t make a decision until he meets in person. 
All people are therefore wondering is, when the **** is he gonna meet Nige face to face. Steve is the only one who created that uncertainty.  

1 hour ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Lansdown didn't have to self-isolate on return to the UK however he couldn't meet Nige face-to-face until this week due to the football "bubble" protocol. 

1 hour ago, Olé said:

Is that the one that says you can't meet Nige until his bubble has burst?

Would it also be the same bubble protocol that allowed Ashton to take his girlfriend to games. Or the one that allows Scudamore to attend games despite no link to the club whatsoever? 
Seems there are certain rules that apply to some and not to others (Twas ever thus!) 

17 minutes ago, Harry said:

And all that would be fine, had Steve himself not said that he can’t make a decision until he meets in person. 
All people are therefore wondering is, when the **** is he gonna meet Nige face to face. Steve is the only one who created that uncertainty.  

Some of the rubbish on this thread is not just about this, but he could of said to NP, we will sit down in person face to face and agreed to do so once the minor fact of how the club will be structured, ie will we have a DOF, who is coming in senior positions (NP may not want to commit until he knows who will be in place) and what budget NP will have could be very different if an investor comes on board, but would be an important part of if NP wants the job. SL or NP giving the face to face meeting may be correct, but only part of the story.

1 hour ago, ray savino said:

You are, like me, asking for what longstanding supporters of Bristol Rugby now have!

Whilst the Premier League is the ultimate goal I don't think many would complain if we had a few years of the entertaining football witnessed in the first half of 17/18. The fact that it was a total collapse in the 2nd half is a different matter and a feature of every year under LJ.

Free flowing football like Newcastle under Keegan many years ago - strong at home and not set on containment both at home and away

Archived