IGNORED

One Team in Keynsham - another Red gone too soon

Dollymarie

It is with a heavy heart that I have to share with you that OTIB member “One Team in Keynsham” (Phil is his real name) has sadly lost his fight with colon cancer and passed away in the last few days 

Many of you would have known of him, he’s someone I counted as a friend. He used to live in the Cayman Islands, but returned to the UK in 2019 to get treatment for his cancer.  It sadly spread and he was told in March that there was nothing further they could do. :( 

He’d been writing a blog, and I’m going to share the last post he wrote on there, when he was told that treatment was no longer an option. 

Night mate :crying:

https://roadtorecovery1967.wixsite.com/website

This might well be the last post in the blog, although I would like to think I would get around to more as time permits. For those that have read from inception, or close to it, thank you for sticking with me. I hope it has given some insight into what a shit-show is created from dealing with a cancer diagnosis and subsequent treatment. At this point I had hoped to post some wise words but I really have little to add. Aside from one thing. People talk about cancer being a fight. They talk about the need to be strong to face the fight. I don't buy into this, since it suggests that those that don't survive are in some way weak. It is not a fight, a fight might be fair, you might have a chance to overcome. Cancer isn't like that. It is a horrific disease that, when it reaches the stage I have it, will almost certainly kill you. There is no fighting that, and it doesn't matter how brave or strong you think you are.

And with that, I'll borrow from the Sundays' 1990 indie hit, and simply say here's where the story ends. Unless, of course, it doesn't.

Aw man. Phil was so nice to me when I moved to Cayman a few years back. I never actually met him as he travelled off island quite a bit. However, he was a real gentleman and he shared plenty of tips with me by DM on here. I knew he was back in the UK with these health issues, but not that he was so far gone.

Rest in peace friend.

I'll raise a glass on the beach tomorrow.

Deeply sad to hear. Condolences to his friends and family and all who knew him. 

Extremely powerful words on his final blog - my Dad passed from colon cancer and he is absolutely right. It isn't a fight and those who lose their lives to cancer do so due to horrible, cruel, dumb, random luck rather than not being strong enough and not fighting enough.

RIP Phil. 

My condolences to all his friends and family. I didn’t know him personally, but OTIK’s posts on here were always a good read. Hope him and Norman Hunter are enjoying a scrumpy and a chat about the old days on the other side. ?

What terribly sad news - and how courageous of Phil to write a blog about his illness.

No one is 'brave' for getting the bastard disease that is cancer, but to write about it movingly and in detail (sometimes with humour) from first diagnosis to planning your own funeral, requires bravery and dedication. 

I never knew OTIK, but I rather wish I had.  He sounds like one hell of a man.

RIP

25 minutes ago, Dollymarie said:

It is with a heavy heart that I have to share with you that OTIB member “One Team in Keynsham” (Phil is his real name) has sadly lost his fight with colon cancer and passed away in the last few days 

Many of you would have known of him, he’s someone I counted as a friend. He used to live in the Cayman Islands, but returned to the UK in 2019 to get treatment for his cancer.  It sadly spread and he was told in March that there was nothing further they could do. :( 

He’d been writing a blog, and I’m going to share the last post he wrote on there, when he was told that treatment was no longer an option. 

@leadman

Thank You Marie!

As Marie knows over the years some of us had met up on the Chatbox on match days. Many of us overseas from all over the globe! OTIK was one of us...who always had a happy comment about the weather in the Caymens.

For close to ten years I spent most match days in his company, among others, plotting trips back to Brizz for games and lamenting our often mediocre form.

We would chat about stuff over the years not just football, his job in finance, politics and a shared devotion to punk and post punk rock n roll, If I remember correctly he would like to come back for the occasional gig and would even go to Minehead Butlins from the Caymans for retro gigs and events.

Phil while living in the Caymans remained a season ticket holder and I particularly remember him saying to me about the Man U game....I AM NOT GOING TO MISS THIS ONE....He didnt!

We were online with a few others on a couple of remarkable days...One of which was the Gas lost their league status. A packed chatbox (sadly chatbox is just me and leady and occasionally booner these days) was listening to us away Crawley, when it gradually became clear that they had to score. At that time you could move between club commentaries and chatting continued all the way to the final whistle...That and the ensuing Twentyman interviews would always raise a subsequent laugh (guffaw)

Both of us were in Briz for the Walsall game, however due to his family commitments we didnt meet up, however his and my chat room mate Bucksred did and Phil sent his felicitations.

Recently we chatted electronically and it was clear that he was battling all that he could!

I would like to send my heartfelt condolences to Phil his family and friends! A bloke I never met, but still a good mate!

Bucksred passed away suddenly soon after the Walsall game and I know Chatroom/box will be monitored on match day well by the lads!!

Leadman and I will miss you fella. Until we meet again!! (the first time!)

I am deeply shocked by this news. I lost contact after the demise of the matchday chatroom, and to be honest it was never really quite the same after Bucks was taken from us. OTIK was a great person, funny, intellegent and made the chatroom fun with his stories and knowledge. I had no idea he was even ill, as I said I am shocked and upset. I have lost three close relatives to this cancer, and I wouldn't wish it on my greatest enemy.

RIP Phil Xx

Really gutted to hear this.

I never met One Team in Keynsham but we chatted on here quite a bit via DM after he discovered I was a big fan of a band he also liked. He offered to download on to CDs all the albums he had just to save me the money of buying the albums on ITunes. Very knowledgeable, friendly guy who was great to talk to.

RIP mate.

2 hours ago, Dollymarie said:

Phil you may have lost your "fight" but can I say personally I think you were very brave to be so honest and yet not come across as bitter. I hope if I ever have to face such a thing I too will be strong as you were RIP.

Absolutely gutted.

'Mad Dog' (never could recall how or why he came by his London Branch epithet,) was a long-standing, loyal, engaging, witty and downright 'top-bloke'. Often self-deprecating when he had nothing about which to be modest. 'A-Team' member throughout. Too many fun journeys to and from matches in his company to recall. Oddly, I never put two and two together so didn't appreciate he was also 'One Team In Keynsham'.

Even when Phil moved to The Cayman's he still returned and caught up with the fellas a few times each season. I last saw him at AG probably around the time of his diagnosis (usually you'd be more likely to find 'Mad Dog' away midweek at some obscure fixture,) and knew he was getting back more frequently, though hadn't appreciated why. And that's the problem with this sodding pandemic, you miss out on the pre/post match catch-ups.

The messages are circulating around the old London Branch members and we're all devestated at Phil's passing. Thoughts are with his family and friends.

I'll raise a 'virtual glass' in your honour and memory tonight, good Sir.

Archived