IGNORED

Parachute payments = old boys club united

sh1t_ref_again

With all the fans up in arms about the super league, claiming greed and lack of competition, I find it ironic that's exactly what the premier league is. Whilst maybe not a totally closed shop, its the next closest thing when you seek to influence the competition to who gets promoted, by making sure the relegated teams from the old boys club have a massive advantage to go back up and not just at the 1st attempt, but over the next 3 seasons. This dirty hand out equates to approx £42 million (2019/20 figures), in year 1, £35m year 2 and £15m in year 3 if spent more than 2 years in prem. 

It would seem the PL are successful at looking after their own, with generally 2 of the 3 teams promoted with parachute payments, this year at least 2 will go up having been funded by the PL, having players worth 10's of millions that others clubs simply cannot afford. It also means these clubs are very unlikely to get relegated from the championship.

It cannot happen immediately, but the only solution must be over a period of years is to alter contracts where wages are reduced for relegation, or much bigger handouts from PL to equal the playing field.

I have seen so many comments on here about how SL has failed to achieve PL football in 20 years, without any question about we are playing against a loaded deck.

Perhaps its about time league clubs and fans should protest against the PL, but as we and others are not the big fashionable clubs I fear it would fall on deaf ears.

Oh on to next year and fight for the 1 available PL place

Although playing devils advocate, if they didn’t exist wouldn’t the Premier League also be in danger of being a closed shop as it would almost be certain that sides promoted from the championship would be relegated after one season

Longer term what the authorities need to look at is implementing a salary cap similar to rugby to create a more level playing field 

And as i have just posted ont he Barnsley thread. Who on OTIB doesnt yet get this?

And does anyone on hear really think 'the fans have won the day' in the recent days of Gary Neville (what a horrible piece of two-sided liar he is) and fan hysteria. Neville is Bury born and bred and allowed his club die as he was too busy making his mega millions earned at Manure help force Salford and his ego into the league whilst other clubs with less backing go non-league (yet he didnt like the Super Six doing exactly as he did)

55 minutes ago, walnutroof said:

Although playing devils advocate, if they didn’t exist wouldn’t the Premier League also be in danger of being a closed shop as it would almost be certain that sides promoted from the championship would be relegated after one season

Longer term what the authorities need to look at is implementing a salary cap similar to rugby to create a more level playing field 

No as when you get promoted you get a share of the PL TV money and can then invest in players, I think they talk of the play off final as the £200 million game

42 minutes ago, Arsene's Wanger said:

Playing devil's advocate advocate there are parachute payments from all four professional divisions, would they all be a closed shop without them?

Surely having the same set-up throughout the league means it's sort of fair?

That is true, but the differential between champ & L1 etc are quite small, but equally changes to contracts or how you make fairer can be applied to all leagues

Archived