IGNORED

Autograph request gone wrong.

Oh Louie louie

7 hours ago, Major Isewater said:

It wasn’t a request that went wrong but a surprise for me.

It was Notts County away.

I had my programme in hand and just at that moment I saw , all alone, ‘God ‘ Taylor. Just walking in the direction of the ground like an ordinary human being. 

I surprised myself by asking him for his autograph and he signed my programme ( which I still have to this very day) .

I don’t remember much about the match but I am sure he scored at least a hat trick.

:yes:

Separate thread perhaps needed here for City Heroes seen at Meadow Lane.  Mine was John Galley (this could also go in the Cult Heroes thread, as me and my mates loved him but he never seemed to tear things up for anyone else  but us*). Exchanged a quick word with him, then I shot off as didn’t want to seem too big a dick!

* This stands a good chance of being a load of balls as that’s only how I remember it; haven’t bothered to check

2 hours ago, lenred said:

Different to my experience of Botham. Was watching him net on the outfield when he came back to the County Ground with Worcs and I went up to him and asked for his autograph as he was walking off (in the good old days of being allowed on the outfield) and he told me to **** off. I was 9 ?. Always thought him a massive ***t ever since.  Got a similar response from Curtley Ambrose when the Windies were playing but Richie Richardson asked me to bowl him some balls and I got him out.  Took me a while to figure out he’d probably let me ? Gus Logie was similarly great from memory as were most of the Australian touring team - Ian Healey in particular.  Feel sorry that the kids don’t get to mix with their cricketing heroes anymore like we could back then.

Botham once played in a charity football match at Bridgwater Town’s ground. In the clubhouse after the game he was so most arrogant manual manipulator I’ve ever come across.

22 minutes ago, Portland Bill said:

Botham once played in a charity football match at Bridgwater Town’s ground. In the clubhouse after the game he was so most arrogant manual manipulator I’ve ever come across.

Yes, out of the big 3 at Somerset, Joel was my favourite then as a teenager and remains my favourite now. 
And he was happy to give his autograph, still got it on a poster with all the teams partaking in that years World Cup, 1979.

7 hours ago, Roger Red Hat said:

I got asked for my autograph once. They thought I was someone else.

Me too...when i was younger i parked up at the Gate to buy a match ticket....I was younger, fitter and my car was cool, back then.......2 lads ran up to me and asked for my autograph, so i signed for both of them, it made my day...Ha!   God knows who they thought i was ?  

When i was 12-13 I was an avid autograph hunter, there was a gaggle of around 10 kids who would try to outdo each other every other week at City home games, we all had thick hard backed annuals full of stuck in photos from Goal, Football Monthly etc, we would hang around outside the dressing rooms every home game, and even sneak into the players bar sometimes, if the away team were especially collectible.  We got upto quite a few tricks to try and  outdo each other.  A mate and I heard that QPR were coming down by train, so we bought platform tickets at Temple Meads, snuck on a train to either Reading or Swindon (Cannot recall).  We hung out on the station, and when the train from London with the QPR squad on stopped, we got on.  We found them in a couple of compartments, and got them all to sign by handing our annuals in, which they passed around and all signed.  When we got back to Temple Meads, we thought we were the boys, until I started showing off the signatures of the entire QPR squad,  later on, and it was pointed out to me that Rodney Marsh had signed all 3 or 4 of my photos of him.......  "Davy Crockett" 

My successful ones , apart from the ones I mentioned before. I have a signed shirt from 98, thanks to Beryl. Went to a book signing when Norman Hunter released his biography, I think it was in the Galleries. Never really bothered otherwise.

Though I did get Dennis Greaves to sign my Nine Below Zero CD, not a big claim as it was at a gig and he was on the Merch desk ?

My brother bumped into Bob Taylor and joked about sending me a christening card for my son from the club. On my sons christening we had a personal card from Bob Talylor and his wife. But to top it they also sent birthday cards for the next few years on his birthday even after he left the club. 
Shame my son and his brother  have no interest in football at all. 

2 hours ago, bcdc said:

Separate thread perhaps needed here for City Heroes seen at Meadow Lane.  Mine was John Galley (this could also go in the Cult Heroes thread, as me and my mates loved him but he never seemed to tear things up for anyone else  but us*). Exchanged a quick word with him, then I shot off as didn’t want to seem too big a dick!

* This stands a good chance of being a load of balls as that’s only how I remember it; haven’t bothered to check

I spent a delightful evening in the company of Sir John Galley . 
I have already told the story so  we,  unless there is a demand for a repeat, I will just say he was a gentleman.

Signed his autograph in my order book.

:yes:

4 hours ago, Ronnie Sinclair said:

I've got a programme here signed by Sir Joe Jordan - he signed it in 1990 in 'Sportscene' sports shop up Broadwalk Shopping Centre (I can't recall the occasion as to why he was there, I do recall him wearing a fetching tweed suit jacket though)

That’s a blast from the past....bought my first screw-in studs there, before Norm opened his sports shop up “the Gilda”.

23 hours ago, lenred said:

Different to my experience of Botham. Was watching him net on the outfield when he came back to the County Ground with Worcs and I went up to him and asked for his autograph as he was walking off (in the good old days of being allowed on the outfield) and he told me to **** off. I was 9 ?. Always thought him a massive ***t ever since.  Got a similar response from Curtley Ambrose when the Windies were playing but Richie Richardson asked me to bowl him some balls and I got him out.  Took me a while to figure out he’d probably let me ? Gus Logie was similarly great from memory as were most of the Australian touring team - Ian Healey in particular.  Feel sorry that the kids don’t get to mix with their cricketing heroes anymore like we could back then.

Sad isn't it. Although still an England player and a top pro, when I got to Botham it was prior to his Headingley heroics in '81, so prior really to his superstar status. The success of mega-stardom does something to the ego, whether its sport, music, the big screen or whatever. I don't think that needs to be said, it's pretty self-evident.

Archived