IGNORED

David Foot

GrahamC

8 minutes ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

What a great quote.

I always think of Foot and Keating together. The one Somerset CCC, the other Gloucester but with a similar writing style, Keating with added celtic blarney perhaps. 

Keating left to seek his fortune (and chase girls) up that London but Foot turned down job offers from the bright lights of Fleet Street to stay in the West Country as a freelance. Bearing in mind @GrahamC's  observation about his attire - "rather than the usual belt he was keeping his trousers up with some string. You can take the boy out of Somerset..." - perhaps swinging 60s London wasn't quite the place for Mr. Foot. 

I think deep down, he knew as we all do, just as Jim Morrison put it “the West is the best”.

20 hours ago, GrahamC said:

Passed away today aged 92.

Although best known as a cricket writer (of which he was in my opinion one of the best of all time), he covered City for quite some while too & bizarrely was asked by the club to represent them at John Atyeo’s funeral.

He wrote an article I still have a copy of, when he once interviewed Gerry Gow & Lauren Bacall on the same day, it is one of the best things I have ever read.

Good writer and a very nice man.

RIP David.

Archived