IGNORED

Euro 2021/21

daored

1 minute ago, cidercity1987 said:

Anyone else totally bored of the Euros already? There seems like such a gulf between the usual big countries and the rest. Finishing third to qualify makes a mockery of the group stage and 24 teams leading to fixtures like Ukraine v Northern Macedonia, do me a favour.

Hopefully it'll liven up during the knockout stages but at this point it's a total turnoff

Yeah ridiculous to only lose 8 teams at the group stage. Austria and Ukraine to draw in the last group game would see them both go through I would think.

7 minutes ago, cidercity1987 said:

Anyone else totally bored of the Euros already? There seems like such a gulf between the usual big countries and the rest. Finishing third to qualify makes a mockery of the group stage and 24 teams leading to fixtures like Ukraine v Northern Macedonia, do me a favour.

Hopefully it'll liven up during the knockout stages but at this point it's a total turnoff

It is definitely suffering from the bloated format. I always thought 16 teams in 4 groups, with half going home after the group stage, was perfect. It gave you high quality games from the outset, some real jeopardy in the group stage, worked simply when it came to the maths, and saved everyone a week of their lives.

7 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

It is definitely suffering from the bloated format. I always thought 16 teams in 4 groups, with half going home after the group stage, was perfect. It gave you high quality games from the outset, some real jeopardy in the group stage, worked simply when it came to the maths, and saved everyone a week of their lives.

And when 50% of teams go through qualifying it makes it an absolute cakewalk for countries like England and the other top seeds. However I have had a week off work and have watched loads of it, even enjoyed Ukraine vs Macedonia earlier.

UEFA and FIFA had the Tournaments absolutely spot on at 16 and 32 teams.

I thought Wales benefitted from the bloated format in 2016, but they are an anomaly now, I think they have earned their right to be among the best in Europe. 

I can't say the same for North Macedonia, Northern Ireland and Albania who have benefitted from it and absolutely stunk the place out with lowering the quality of play in 2016 and 2020. 

They need to cut it back down to 16, but because money and politics talk in UEFA, they won't. They are more likely to increase it to 32, if anything.

Seem to recall Austria who are apparently so poor made it quite difficult for us at Wembley, final game pre tournament- didn't see them tonight though.

Granted we fielded a number of fringe players but by no means a whole sides worth.

48 minutes ago, 2015 said:

UEFA and FIFA had the Tournaments absolutely spot on at 16 and 32 teams.

I thought Wales benefitted from the bloated format in 2016, but they are an anomaly now, I think they have earned their right to be among the best in Europe. 

I can't say the same for North Macedonia, Northern Ireland and Albania who have benefitted from it and absolutely stunk the place out with lowering the quality of play in 2016 and 2020. 

They need to cut it back down to 16, but because money and politics talk in UEFA, they won't. They are more likely to increase it to 32, if anything.

The first, they won in Germany in late March in a WC Qualifier- they don't lose many at home. Both won a game at 2016 and indeed in the case of the former got out the Group, the latter it took France a long long time to get the win over.

That said, it may well be too many.

1 hour ago, Gillies Downs Leeds said:

The right wing back for the Dutch, Dumfries is going to be a serious player. Can see one of the big clubs going in for him. He is up and down the pitch non stop.

By big, I suppose you mean modern and monied, that context, one of the Super League shite?

PSV are some small minnow are they? Post 1992 perhaps but they have a European Cup to their name- a UEFA Cup too, from the days it was quite a serious tournament. Big club in a decent sized football nation, PSV.

7 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Way to add a bit of jeopardy could be 24 teams but...

Only the Group winners and 2 best runners up qualify. That would nip in the bud the idea of a 2nd and 3rd placed side- e.g. maybe Austria v Ukraine- playing for a draw given the high chance of reaching the 2nd Round.

Problem with that is you get a lot of meaningless fixtures in the last round of games. One thing I like about 3 teams going through is that pretty much every team has something riding on the last game. I am not so sure teams will play for a draw as there is still an incentive to get an easier second round tie…

On 13/06/2021 at 15:14, Super said:

Wont be at Leeds for much longer

People say this, you genuinely have no idea.

He IS Leeds.

Turned down PL football to stay and help us go up, attributes EVERYTHING in his rise of the last 3 years to the manager, Phillips stays as long as Bielsa does.

19 minutes ago, SPAZZA said:

He IS Leeds.

Turned down PL football to stay and help us go up, attributes EVERYTHING in his rise of the last 3 years to the manager, Phillips stays as long as Bielsa does.

If somebody bids 40-50M he will be gone.

8 minutes ago, italian dave said:

See reports this morning of potential for the final to be moved from Wembley. UEFA want 2500 officials to be given exemption from quarantine rules (which we wouldn’t do for the European Cup final) or the game might be moved. 

God I hate UEFA

Just now, italian dave said:

Do you think our government will/should exempt them in some way?

No, why should they have different rules for them. It was their stupid idea in the first place to have a pan-European Tournament.

They also don't need 2500 UEFA Officials at the game, that could go to supporters.

3 minutes ago, 2015 said:

No, why should they have different rules for them. It was their stupid idea in the first place to have a pan-European Tournament.

They also don't need 2500 UEFA Officials at the game, that could go to supporters.

TBF, they decided on the tournament format a long time before covid and it would arguably be just as difficult to put it all in one place post covid (see Olympics!).

I agree with you that we shouldn’t have different rules applied, but I can see UEFAs dilemma too. Wembley half full in a country applying the strictest travel restrictions and quarantine rules in Europe v. Hungary in a full stadium and no travel restrictions at all for Schengen travel.

I don’t really know who the “officials” are. I suspect it’s a loaded term and it’s not actually 2500 UEFA employees. Probably a variety of advertisers, sponsors, representatives from each of the 32 nations - 2500 sounds a lot but divide it by all those groups and it’s not that many. I’d rather they went to fans too, but that’s the reality of a final isn’t it? 

10 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

By big, I suppose you mean modern and monied, that context, one of the Super League shite?

PSV are some small minnow are they? Post 1992 perhaps but they have a European Cup to their name- a UEFA Cup too, from the days it was quite a serious tournament. Big club in a decent sized football nation, PSV.

How long do teams get to dine out on past achievements to consider their stature? 30 years since they won a Euro cup, if players want success they’ll go to a current “big” team

45 minutes ago, italian dave said:

TBF, they decided on the tournament format a long time before covid and it would arguably be just as difficult to put it all in one place post covid (see Olympics!).

I agree with you that we shouldn’t have different rules applied, but I can see UEFAs dilemma too. Wembley half full in a country applying the strictest travel restrictions and quarantine rules in Europe v. Hungary in a full stadium and no travel restrictions at all for Schengen travel.

I don’t really know who the “officials” are. I suspect it’s a loaded term and it’s not actually 2500 UEFA employees. Probably a variety of advertisers, sponsors, representatives from each of the 32 nations - 2500 sounds a lot but divide it by all those groups and it’s not that many. I’d rather they went to fans too, but that’s the reality of a final isn’t it? 

It made sense to move the CL final as both teams came from the same country and would have reduced travel

On this occasion people already have tickets for the final, it would be unfair on them to lose that

1 hour ago, Super said:

If somebody bids 40-50M he will be gone.

You have no idea.

Villa offered £30m when we were in the Championship, Orta spoke to Phillips who said “I’m staying”

In addition to that, a young English midfield dynamo for £40-50m.....

?? you can add another £20m to that at least for one of the best 2-3 DMs in the league.

We don’t need to sell, we are on the up and not looking behind.

Being in the PL has opened our eyes to how moronic and clueless the majority of the support and punditry is, I didn’t think it extended to you guys. Maybe the “they’ll have to sell at that figure” is indicative of the Bristol City mindset and how you’ve been beaten to accept mediocrity in a city that by rights should have had a PL team by now.

1 minute ago, SPAZZA said:

You have no idea.

Villa offered £30m when we were in the Championship, Orta spoke to Phillips who said “I’m staying”

In addition to that, a young English midfield dynamo for £40-50m.....

?? you can add another £20m to that at least for one of the best 2-3 DMs in the league.

We don’t need to sell, we are on the up and not looking behind.

Being in the PL has opened our eyes to how moronic and clueless the majority of the support and punditry is, I didn’t think it extended to you guys. Maybe the “they’ll have to sell at that figure” is indicative of the Bristol City mindset and how you’ve been beaten to accept mediocrity in a city that by rights should have had a PL team by now.

So if a top club came in for him he wouldn't want to go?

2 hours ago, SPAZZA said:

He IS Leeds.

So on one hand you say “he IS Leeds”, but then confirm that “he stays as long as Bielsa does”. 

So is his loyalty to Leeds or to Bielsa? If Bielsa went to Liverpool and wanted Phillips (and quadrupled his wages), would Phillips say “no thanks, I’m Leeds, me”. 

All players have a price. Phillips may well be Leeds through and through but I think you’re kidding yourself if you think that will keep him at Elland Road if offered a much bigger wage at a top 4 club. 

1 hour ago, italian dave said:

See reports this morning of potential for the final to be moved from Wembley. UEFA want 2500 officials to be given exemption from quarantine rules (which we wouldn’t do for the European Cup final) or the game might be moved. 

Rules are rules. Either implement them correctly or don’t bother at all. 

49 minutes ago, MarcusX said:

It made sense to move the CL final as both teams came from the same country and would have reduced travel

On this occasion people already have tickets for the final, it would be unfair on them to lose that

But didn’t they move the CL final from the country where both teams come from to another one? That didn’t minimise travel?

6 minutes ago, Harry said:

Rules are rules. Either implement them correctly or don’t bother at all. 

Yes, agree. But I have a sneaky feeling that Johnson won’t want to lose the political opportunity that having the final here presents.

As someone whose been, and still is, prevented from travelling by those rules I’ll be fuming if he exempts them all. But then I fume at most things he does ?

Archived