IGNORED

Euro 2021/21

daored

2 hours ago, Robbored said:

Dion Dublin made an excellent point on TV earlier by pointing out that Southgate’s first job was to get England out of the group and achieved that by not conceding which meant playing a largely defensive style throughout the group matches - very drab, bland and uninspiring to England fans but job done.

Now having reached the last 16 DD reckons we’ll see England playing with far more freedom and flair - let’s hope he’s right!

I'm hoping that was the plan but I just can't see it changing. Hopefully I'm wrong.

2 hours ago, Simon bristol said:

We could barely muster anything creative against scotland or Czech republic, who have scottish league players and bristol city players. That france team is like the harlem globetrotters, they will have us chasing shadows for 90 minutes, we will be playing long ball to kane after 5 minutes and lose at least 3-0

The group stage of this particular tournament is almost entirely about getting through unscathed.  The actual tournament with the proper games starts on Saturday.  With this in mind, do you think there is the possibility that we could be playing within ourselves?  That the manager, having experience of 4 tournaments as a player, 1 as an under 21s manager and 1 as the senior team manager might have thought 'the team that wins the tournament doesn't play well in every game but they tend to stumble through a  lot of the games.  That means you have to have a strong defensive set up that won't breakdown when the team isn't playing well. 

If France are like the Harlem Globetrotters in attitude we will beat them.  Portugal have a similar midfield set up to us (I would take RIce and Phillips over their 2) and there are a few egos in their team too.   On paper they're better than the team 5 years ago but they have a lot less experience and character. 

Germany who have a nice mix of youth and experience.  They worry me as Kimmich is a quality player and up against Shaw I can see use being exposed - the Czechs got in down that side a lot last night and the superior German movement would cause real problems. 

10 minutes ago, The Bard said:

The group stage of this particular tournament is almost entirely about getting through unscathed.  The actual tournament with the proper games starts on Saturday.  With this in mind, do you think there is the possibility that we could be playing within ourselves?  That the manager, having experience of 4 tournaments as a player, 1 as an under 21s manager and 1 as the senior team manager might have thought 'the team that wins the tournament doesn't play well in every game but they tend to stumble through a  lot of the games.  That means you have to have a strong defensive set up that won't breakdown when the team isn't playing well. 

If France are like the Harlem Globetrotters in attitude we will beat them.  Portugal have a similar midfield set up to us (I would take RIce and Phillips over their 2) and there are a few egos in their team too.   On paper they're better than the team 5 years ago but they have a lot less experience and character. 

Germany who have a nice mix of youth and experience.  They worry me as Kimmich is a quality player and up against Shaw I can see use being exposed - the Czechs got in down that side a lot last night and the superior German movement would cause real problems. 

Shaw at left back was a worry, wasn’t it. 
I can see why we played Trippier there now. 

1 hour ago, Cowshed said:

Its an opinion but a valid one. 

Both I and Spudski have mentioned Walker. He is as an example plays in a robotic style. Why? Who has instructed him to play differently? The answer is Gareth Southgate.

What Spudski and myself  mention is teams, quite a few use the same in out and transition principles. Its being applied rigidly. You know where the ball will go frequently because the systems principles mean it has to.

Teams following similar, with similar abilities lead to robotic predictability.

England can't play fluid football because the Manager is not attempting to. Its a six and four. Four get to be a bit more fluid but six maintain the pre programmed coaches shape. 

So…..correct me if I’ve misunderstood your point but essentially you’re saying that Southgate can’t adopt a different playing style because he and the players have become pre programmed thru the coaching they’ve all been subjected to?

8 minutes ago, Harry said:

Was he? Didn't feel he did a great deal wrong. I can remember only 1 moment off the top of my head where a player on the right got the best of him. He made a couple of decent bursts of pace forward. 

That being said, I would still have Trippier over Shaw. Had way more of an attacking mind about him. 

1 minute ago, Harry said:

Don't get me started on what he's done with Chilwell.  Chilwell is on the cusp of becoming world class and we are likely not to see him play at all in the tournament.  He is a big game player and has an excellent understanding with Mount that was central to Chelsea winning the Champions League.  For some reason he's been left out firstly for a right back and then a clearly inferior player who should be his understudy. 

It is highly unlikely he'll play next Tuesday meaning he'll have gone 5 weeks without playing and I'd give us less than 50% chance of getting through against whoever we play especially in his absence.

5 minutes ago, Robbored said:

So…..correct me if I’ve misunderstood your point but essentially you’re saying that Southgate can’t adopt a different playing style because he and the players have become pre programmed thru the coaching they’ve all been subjected to?

Mr Southgate can change but the choices he makes are too be very structured. The example I used is of a player significantly altering how he plays from his club to the national team. The player and others play in the conservative sequences of the Managers choosing. 

16 minutes ago, Dan Robin said:

Great performance by Kalas yesterday.

England played quite well in the first half, but in the second half could have done something more (even if the qualification was already guaranteed).

It did make me laugh when he battered Kane in the first minute. Also he did one of his trademark lift off headers!

26 minutes ago, The Bard said:

Rice and Phillips were in anonymous and against the Scottish midfield 

2 hours ago, Simon bristol said:

Cause hungary had a fantastic home support and 100 percent commitment,,, and a lot of luck.

That was their cup final - its hard for England to get too excited until knockout stages. I don't see us winning it due to Southgate being too negative but we aren't anywhere near as bad as many making out. We are ranked in top 10 in the world for good reason.

1 hour ago, Sturny said:

Was he? Didn't feel he did a great deal wrong. I can remember only 1 moment off the top of my head where a player on the right got the best of him. He made a couple of decent bursts of pace forward. 

That being said, I would still have Trippier over Shaw. Had way more of an attacking mind about him. 

Nothing went disastrously wrong for him, but there were a number of nearly moments and also a few occasions where he was caught out of position but either a covering player, a bad pass or a foul prevented any damage. 
It wasn’t a defensive performance that filled me with confidence. 

17 hours ago, Shelton’s Love Gravy said:

E6C55FFC-0049-4CE1-A24A-ADBBB6043151.jpeg

My apologies MarcusX, I attempted to post something about Christiano Ronaldo last night but the website was doing funny things and not letting me write anything, only upload stuff.

So I decided instead, to post this picture of a lovely punnet of cress! ?

There is too little cress in league football, IMHO.

Always say “Yes” to Cress ?

2 hours ago, Dan Robin said:

Great performance by Kalas yesterday.

England played quite well in the first half, but in the second half could have done something more (even if the qualification was already guaranteed).

Not sure any of the CR team were great. You wouldn't mind drawing them next up

2 hours ago, harrys said:

Rice and Phillips were in anonymous and against the Scottish midfield 

I know one change is not the only factor but it was very noticeable how we struggled to flow and find rhythm in the second half once Rice had gone off. What I like about Rice and Philips is that they are not showboaters. They get on quietly and efficiently and get things done and - whilst Scotland was a bad day for everyone - we've controlled the games against Croatia and the Czechs, especially when both those two were on the field. 

Of course we need to step up in the next round but so far I feel both players have done what they needed to. 

2 hours ago, Alex_BCFC said:

That was their cup final - its hard for England to get too excited until knockout stages. I don't see us winning it due to Southgate being too negative but we aren't anywhere near as bad as many making out. We are ranked in top 10 in the world for good reason.

Because the FIFA rankings are a joke? France are world champions so why are Belgium still No 1

4 hours ago, Simon bristol said:

Dunno? Whats that got to do with france having benzema and mbappe against our defence?

Not much. It’s just a bit wearing reading people who see nothing but negativity saying we will get gubbed this score or that score when the fact is we haven’t been battered by anyone for ages. If you repeat saying it enough times it might happen and if it does you can celebrate on here……..

11 minutes ago, cidercity1987 said:

That Sweden winner was very good for England's path forward. Rather them than Spain in the QFs

Yep. And if we'd finished second in the group as some were advocating, we'd be facing Spain in the second round when they're coming off the back of a morale boosting thrashing of an awful Slovakia side.

Archived