IGNORED

Bristol R*vers dustbin thread

42nite

1 hour ago, Smaller than a flea said:

I don't think we'll get promoted this season. We've been lucky coming from a goal behind too many times for the trend to continue.

But it's all going well so far. One point off the playoffs. Who knows?

Here's a genuine question for you.

If City don't get promotion, would you possibly like the prospect that Rovers could go up, and next year look forward to two of the biggest clashes we've had in 100 years, or do you just want them to stay in the lower league and frick off?

Sure it would be nice having derby games again, but I think getting into the Championship right now would be negative on your club. Get the stadium and academy going, get some income and a secure fotting and then push for promotion, it's damned expensive running a team with Prem/Champ players so unless Wael is going to dip into his pockets you are better of waiting until you can make a go off it.

• Like 1

• Admin
1 hour ago, Smaller than a flea said:

I don't think we'll get promoted this season. We've been lucky coming from a goal behind too many times for the trend to continue.

If City don't get promotion, would you possibly like the prospect that Rovers could go up, and next year look forward to two of the biggest clashes we've had in 100 years, or do you just want them to stay in the lower league and frick off?

Here's a genuine answer.

I'd be more than happy to see you go out of business and there be one team in Bristol.  

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Fiale said:

Sure it would be nice having derby games again, but I think getting into the Championship right now would be negative on your club. Get the stadium and academy going, get some income and a secure fotting and then push for promotion, it's damned expensive running a team with Prem/Champ players so unless Wael is going to dip into his pockets you are better of waiting until you can make a go off it.

Or just frick off!

11 hours ago, Smaller than a flea said:

Had this discussion in work the other day .

I personally would love it. Would hate seeing all you mutants crowing when you get promoted though....but in the long run, would love to play you again in a game that actually means something 

Edited by Andy082005

11 hours ago, Smaller than a flea said:

So aggressive. 

Dont you think the matches would be massive? You in your shiny new stadium facing the minnows in the dump in the Championship? The biggest ever crowds at both stadiums as they are now? 

Everything about another Bristol Derby would be weighted in your favour. 

What is there in it for us..? Seriously..?

We know we are the better club/team. Nothing to prove there.

There isn't one single thing to look forward to about visiting the Mem again. Shit view, shit facilities, shit atmosphere. Just shit all round.

I'd rather a more attractive fixture got promoted. You know, something like Port Vale or Scunthorpe..! ;) 

• Like 7

18 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

Everything about another Bristol Derby would be weighted in your favour. 

What is there in it for us..? Seriously..?

We know we are the better club/team. Nothing to prove there.

There isn't one single thing to look forward to about visiting the Mem again. Shit view, shit facilities, shit atmosphere. Just shit all round.

I'd rather a more attractive fixture got promoted. You know, something like Port Vale or Scunthorpe..! ;) 

Absolutely no wish to play Rovers ever again, they will be in a "no lose" situation 

• Like 2

Genuinely if Rovers went up they would have a shock.

I mean we struggled to attract players to come to us in the first season, without the look of a rebuilt stadium and a side who battered L1 the season before.

Then you have wage demands and competing with the likes of Villa, Leeds, Sheff W, Wolves is on a whole different level to competing with say Port Vale. 

We can all say look at Burton Albion, what they are doing is amazing at the moment but they have been building the club for years.

Rovers going up to Championship would be about 5 seasons too soon for them in my opinion. Worst thing of all they would see every game like they have nothing to lose and the games against us as the 2 they have to come out and win.

7 minutes ago, BA14 RED said:

Genuinely if Rovers went up they would have a shock.

I mean we struggled to attract players to come to us in the first season, without the look of a rebuilt stadium and a side who battered L1 the season before.

Then you have wage demands and competing with the likes of Villa, Leeds, Sheff W, Wolves is on a whole different level to competing with say Port Vale. 

We can all say look at Burton Albion, what they are doing is amazing at the moment but they have been building the club for years.

Rovers going up to Championship would be about 5 seasons too soon for them in my opinion. Worst thing of all they would see every game like they have nothing to lose and the games against us as the 2 they have to come out and win.

That sums it up pretty well. Burton are operating `sustainably` so although they may struggle, they`re not going to go down (if they do) owing millions and never being able to recover. Rotherham are a bit the same, they know they`re likely to struggle every season and budget accordingly. PNE are well run but are finding it difficult to compete in attracting affordable players this season and Barnsley are the same but financially much better off with the Mawson sale and the Stones sell on money so should be OK long term. All of those four clubs have pretty decent stadiums as well.

Rovers have none of these things, they have a crap ground which would cost millions to update, their new one is just pie in the sky at the moment, their owner has (in footballing terms) no money and there is no realistic prospect of any of these things changing any time soon.

15 hours ago, alexukhc said:

I've had it all in my ear from sags saying "we kept a clean sheet against Cardiff, we beat them in the cup this year, we must be better than you" like please fork off

Could I just point out that Chelsea beat the current Premier League champions 3-0 yesterday, and we only lost 3-2 to Chelsea, ergo, Rovers really are -as the song goes- the greatest football team :)

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Miah Dennehy said:

Could I just point out that Chelsea beat the current Premier League champions 3-0 yesterday, and we only lost 3-2 to Chelsea, ergo, Rovers really are -as the song goes- the greatest football team :)

Wouldn't that be Chelsea..?

Bellend. 

7 minutes ago, Miah Dennehy said:

Great logic Miah, can't deny your team are having an excellent season so far all be it a bit fortuitously at times, what's the latest on the new ground?

22 minutes ago, harrys said:

Great logic Miah, can't deny your team are having an excellent season so far all be it a bit fortuitously at times, what's the latest on the new ground?

Excellent..? 

For a team that are "coming for us" in such a big way, I'd have said "reasonable" 

I'd have thought that our 28 points after 12 games in our last season in L1 could be regarded as a benchmark for "excellent". 

Oh, and @Miah Dennehy do you recall the result from our last game v Chelsea?

1 hour ago, Bar BS3 said:

Excellent..? 

For a team that are "coming for us" in such a big way, I'd have said "reasonable" 

I'd have thought that our 28 points after 12 games in our last season in L1 could be regarded as a benchmark for "excellent". 

Oh, and @Miah Dennehy do you recall the result from our last game v Chelsea?

Its probably excellent for a former non league club

2 hours ago, harrys said:

For thst example I'd class Burton as "excellent" and Rovers "decent" at best. 

7 hours ago, Miah Dennehy said:

My stance on the new ground is the same as it has been for a good number of years. I will believe it when I am sat watching a game in it.

I think this new ground is vital if you ever want to become a Championship club. I'm not saying you won't ever get there......but you won't stay there and establish yourself without it.

I also think this is your best chance at promotion. The momentum is with you . If you don't do it this year....I dont think you'll do it next 

• Like 1

The thought of playing Rovers in a Bristol Derby in the Championship is quite an exciting one, both games would be sold out without a doubt. But I also agree with the majority of posters, for Rovers it is a no lose and for City it is a close to no win. The only way City win is if we absolutely humiliated you 6-0 or something of that nature, which lets be fair is extremely rare in a local derby. The risk of a Rovers upset would mean another ten years of Gas dining out on it (the Rickie Lambert LDV game is only just off the front page for Gasheads).

On 15 October 2016 at 16:51, bert tann said:

Hilda Ogden RIP

With the sad passing of national treasure Hilda Ogden another chapter closes for those of us whose formative years were dominated by curlers, floral pinny’s and sagging nylons.  But many football fans in Bristol remain blissfully unaware that were it not for a cruel twist of fate the steely skills of Hilda’s rumbustious husband Stan may well have graced Eastville Stadium during my glorious reign as Rovers manager. 

The story began in January 1955 when, as usual, we were desperately unlucky to lose 3-1 to Chelsea in the 4th round FA Cup in front of  a 35 952 crowd at Eastville.  Our President at that time was his excellency The Duke of Beaufifa the renowned social climber who had recently suffered a devastating rejection by the influential “Cleveden Set” because he didn’t have an entry in Burke’s Pierage. He did however have contacts at Chelsea and was able to persuade their manager Ted Drake to fly down for a clandestine meeting with me at the George Inn Slimbridge.   

In typical Rovers fashion we were looking for players on the cheap and as Ted was blessed with a large squid he kindly agreed to lend us two of their most promising youngsters. So  the following Monday I found myself greeting Stan Ogden and Len Fairclough on the platform of Stapleton Road station and whisking them away to our training center which was a patch of waste ground behind the Black Swan. What a joy it was to know that I should soon be practicing my craft alongside such thoroughbred athletes with their finely tuned  posture and bulging wallets. 

Sadly that was as far as it got. When Paddy Hale and Dai Ward found out what the new lads were earning they quickly organized a boycott of training till the whole squad had equal wages which of course was out of the question given our President’s lack of readies. It was a dilemma which caused me a few nights of sleep deprivation and Miss Givings as well but fortunately Ted Drake came to the rescue. He telephoned to recall the players saying they had complained about being accommodated in tents and training in a pub car park but at least we were now being put on their list of “special clubs” which I took to be a tremendous honour. 

Chelsea went on to win the league and we didn’t but following their experience with us neither player was ever able to pursue a serious career in football again. Stan Ogden married Hilda and later shot to fame on national TV while Len Fairclough eventually became chairman of Bristol Rovers.

Bert - I like your insights into the weird and wonderful workings of Bristol Rovers, but I feel you are a bit of a tease, as you only give us part  of the story. This is the latest example as you failed to mention the period when the actor Oliver Reed had a trial with the club. This was in the 50s before his acting career took off, and he appeared to have prospects as a professional footballer. All was going well until the infamous drinking session on a train back from a match at Leyton Orient. Little has subsequently be said about this, but he never set foot inside Eastvile again. 

On 15/10/2016 at 20:52, Smaller than a flea said:

I can answer this one.

I would absolutely love it. First off we would be guaranteed an easy 6 points. Could even rest our key players.

Your club is in no way prepared for Championship football, a new tent and a new canopy isn't going to cut it in the Championship. 

Do you know just what sort of finances are involved at Championship level? Even we have struggled in the past to attract players.

You would face simular fate as Yeovil have so your welcome to a season in the Championship. It will be a welcome reminder to you just how far behind us you actually are. Even if you were in the same league as us you would still be a million miles away from us.

On 15/10/2016 at 20:52, Smaller than a flea said:

I don't wish promotion for you,could never do that,but should you get up-bring it on..........I don't think Rovers are remotely ready for Championship football as yet and would enjoy a very tough time of it if somehow scrapeing a path..

Edited by Robert the bruce
alteration..

10 hours ago, Robert the bruce said:

I don't think Rovers are remotely ready for Championship football as yet and would enjoy a very tough time of it if somehow scrapeing a path..

Amazingly, some of them seem to genuinely believe that beating Cardiff 1-0 over 120 minutes in the EFL Cup is proof that their current squad could compete at Championship level. We completely dominated L1 in 14/15 yet hugely struggled with the step up as did MK. 

For a group fans who've made themselves comfortable sitting in the shadows for decades mocking our attempts to pull off ambitious signings it would be hilarious watching their attempts to strengthen their squad with Championship quality players whilst still playing in a ground with tents for stands.

On 15 October 2016 at 20:52, Smaller than a flea said:

Your fans make no secret of the fact that playing us in the league is the thing that most of you dream about. Bristol Derbies have become a massive no-win situation for us, if we don't win by 5 clear goals your fans claim a 'moral victory' because Lansdown has spent so many millions whilst you've had to scrape by on penny's.

Whenever the subject of attendances is brought up you claim the only reason for your lower crowd figures are the smaller ground you occupy, even though you rarely sell out home games in that smaller ground.....but then that's only because you haven't got nice comfy seats to sit in and your plastic fans won't turn up if they've got to stand up or sit in a tent.

Genuine question for you....

When you're in the UWE Stadium, with your billionaire Arab sugar daddy bankrolling you, what excuses will you use for losing to City and having lower attendances than us?

• Like 2