IGNORED

Bristol R*vers dustbin thread

42nite

2 hours ago, 8menhadadream said:

Just had a read of their thread about Gerry Gow which had some nice comments, fair play.

Then, I stumbled on to a 'Getting r*vers Championship ready' thread. Boy, do they underestimate how big the gulf in class is between L1 and the Championship / Prem 2! A few seem to think they could survive with their plucky little team as it is because they beat Cardiff reserves and lost to Chelsea. They're mid table in L1 aren't they?

Un-bloody- believable. They don't seem to remember that we absolutely destroyed L1 yet really found it hard going at this level. Yes, Burton have done well but they will probably slide due to a very small squad. 

The Mem as a Championship ground? They really don't learn do they?  

You have to consider how long it was since they played at that level. They're probably thinking Sincil Bank circa 1989...

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Rob k said:

What do you call obsessed?

I openly admit the first result I'm interested in after ours is Rovers!

Makes the weekend that little bit better if we win and they lose!! 

I call obsessed when, for no apparent reason, you bring their name to the front of our site. I love laughing at them, as a club, I hate them. But for literally no reason at all, just to bring them to the top of our forum, is a bit obsessive. 

Even if if it was a post just saying "**** the scum, I hate that lot", I'd be like "hmm okay, bit pointless but I agree, you reds".

But when the comment is "I can't believe that this thread has slipped to page 2." When we get enough stick about this thread anyway, is pointless. imo

Edited by Griffin
  • Like 1

• Admin
19 hours ago, Rob k said:

What do you call obsessed?

I openly admit the first result I'm interested in after ours is Rovers!

Makes the weekend that little bit better if we win and they lose!! 

Yeah - that is what I would call obsessed

It drives me nuts on the way out of a game on a Saturday when our fans seem more interested in how Rovers got on, compared to any of our rivals

• Like 2

2 hours ago, phantom said:

Yeah - that is what I would call obsessed

It drives me nuts on the way out of a game on a Saturday when our fans seem more interested in how Rovers got on, compared to any of our rivals

i check 6 results on my betting slip, then rovers, 

Hilda Ogden RIP

With the sad passing of national treasure Hilda Ogden another chapter closes for those of us whose formative years were dominated by curlers, floral pinny’s and sagging nylons.  But many football fans in Bristol remain blissfully unaware that were it not for a cruel twist of fate the steely skills of Hilda’s rumbustious husband Stan may well have graced Eastville Stadium during my glorious reign as Rovers manager. 

The story began in January 1955 when, as usual, we were desperately unlucky to lose 3-1 to Chelsea in the 4th round FA Cup in front of  a 35 952 crowd at Eastville.  Our President at that time was his excellency The Duke of Beaufifa the renowned social climber who had recently suffered a devastating rejection by the influential “Cleveden Set” because he didn’t have an entry in Burke’s Pierage. He did however have contacts at Chelsea and was able to persuade their manager Ted Drake to fly down for a clandestine meeting with me at the George Inn Slimbridge.   

In typical Rovers fashion we were looking for players on the cheap and as Ted was blessed with a large squid he kindly agreed to lend us two of their most promising youngsters. So  the following Monday I found myself greeting Stan Ogden and Len Fairclough on the platform of Stapleton Road station and whisking them away to our training center which was a patch of waste ground behind the Black Swan. What a joy it was to know that I should soon be practicing my craft alongside such thoroughbred athletes with their finely tuned  posture and bulging wallets. 

Sadly that was as far as it got. When Paddy Hale and Dai Ward found out what the new lads were earning they quickly organized a boycott of training till the whole squad had equal wages which of course was out of the question given our President’s lack of readies. It was a dilemma which caused me a few nights of sleep deprivation and Miss Givings as well but fortunately Ted Drake came to the rescue. He telephoned to recall the players saying they had complained about being accommodated in tents and training in a pub car park but at least we were now being put on their list of “special clubs” which I took to be a tremendous honour. 

Chelsea went on to win the league and we didn’t but following their experience with us neither player was ever able to pursue a serious career in football again. Stan Ogden married Hilda and later shot to fame on national TV while Len Fairclough eventually became chairman of Bristol Rovers.

• Like 4

The straw clutching those bells have to employ to make themselves feel even remotely on a par with us speaks volumes.

Facts don't lie its almost like having a better league position for over a decade, better facilites by miles, better attendances averages home and away for years, richer owner who has an obvious future plan for us, better players, a club that wont disguise a security hut as a Santa's grotto or turn up a bring-and-buy stall to a professional University trade fair pales into insignificance because they beat Cardiff in the league cup early round which apparently $hits on us losing to them in the league. Honesty only these munters would entertain that logical stance of one upmanship. Honestly!.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Cotham Brow Red said:

The straw clutching those bells have to employ to make themselves feel even remotely on a par with us speaks volumes.

Facts don't lie its almost like having a better league position for over a decade, better facilites by miles, better attendances averages home and away for years, richer owner who has an obvious future plan for us, better players, a club that wont disguise a security hut as a Santa's grotto or turn up a bring-and-buy stall to a professional University trade fair pales into insignificance because they beat Cardiff in the league cup early round which apparently $hits on us losing to them in the league. Honesty only these munters would entertain that logical stance of one upmanship. Honestly!.

Come on, that wasn`t a security hut it was a building site toilet

• Like 2

I don't think we'll get promoted this season. We've been lucky coming from a goal behind too many times for the trend to continue.

But it's all going well so far. One point off the playoffs. Who knows?

Here's a genuine question for you.

If City don't get promotion, would you possibly like the prospect that Rovers could go up, and next year look forward to two of the biggest clashes we've had in 100 years, or do you just want them to stay in the lower league and frick off?

2 minutes ago, Smaller than a flea said:

I don't think we'll get promoted this season. We've been lucky coming from a goal behind too many times for the trend to continue.

If City don't get promotion, would you possibly like the prospect that Rovers could go up, and next year look forward to two of the biggest clashes we've had in 100 years, or do you just want them to stay in the lower league and frick off?

....frick off, preferably to the Toolstation League

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Smaller than a flea said:

Toddle off, you flea bitten knob jockey.

In all honesty I think you`re right you have been `lucky` up to now but the same could be said of us to an extent. I think your problems will be that you don`t have a big squad and if you lose Taylor you will be royally ******.

On a purely personal note and I don`t expect I`m in a majority but I`d be happy if we never played you again - I hate derbies with you lot and always have, I don`t really know why. I do thoroughly enjoy the way your club just stumbles incoherently from one embarrassing disaster to another though so I wouldn`t want to miss that.

• Like 9

So aggressive. 

Dont you think the matches would be massive? You in your shiny new stadium facing the minnows in the dump in the Championship? The biggest ever crowds at both stadiums as they are now? 

Pathetic reply. Don't know why you're referring to 100 years, as there were plenty of big games in the 70's.

You sound rather bitter about our success, but then you would, wouldn't you?

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Smaller than a flea said:

Genuine question for you. City not going up or down, Rovers not going up or down. So this time next year you still going to come on here and continually spout the same constant boring banal bollocks?

• Like 3

40 minutes ago, Red Right Hand said:

In all honesty I think you`re right you have been `lucky` up to now.....

Too right they have been lucky....how many games have they won without getting a pen or an opposing player sent off?!

And that pen they got against Walsall was a disgrace, contact was three yards outside the area.

Before any sag on here calls me bitter........you don't deserve the luck you've had so far because you play in a tented village, you boast about away followings that are pure fantasy, you think fans of every other club love you, you truly believe your owner is richer than ours, you ridicule our new stadium when you secretly would love to have the same, you worship a striker who showed such a woeful lack of class when scoring against a club he'd agreed to join, you believe your kit is world famous and unique.......I could go on and on....

Hopefully the phrase I hate comes true - "luck evens itself out over a season" - if that is true they are f*cked...

• Like 3