IGNORED

Bristol R*vers dustbin thread

42nite

20 minutes ago, spudski said:

It's pretty much the same for all Speedway Clubs across the country.

It's a dieing sport. 

Promotors very rarely invested in their own stadiums and often rented. 

Plus the nimby's don't like the noise. Instead they end up with a new housing estate or the likes of IKEA. 

Swindon, Newport, Somerset...all shut now. There is no Speedway for miles now. I think Poole is now the nearest.

Sad really...it was the second highest attended sport for many years.

Re the Gas kits...all can be seen here.

It's a great resource for all British clubs kits through history, including our own.

http://www.historicalkits.co.uk/Bristol_Rovers/Bristol_Rovers.htm

Thanks mate. 
I’ve lost track of speedway - I’m sure many have. sad, it’s a good sport but sounds like it’s on its last legs/wheels. 

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Mendip City said:

Thanks mate. 
I’ve lost track of speedway - I’m sure many have. sad, it’s a good sport but sounds like it’s on its last legs/wheels. 

I think there are less than 20 tracks in the UK now. 

The sport has never been run properly. It's a complete farce. 

Everything about it is now a joke.

2 hours ago, Olé said:

Might need to notify the people about this because more than twice as many of them keep accidentally going to Bristol City games

Yeah, it’s funny how the ‘peoples club of Bristol’ are not (and never have been) particularly popular with actual Bristolians.

Strange that…

I like many of my generation have spent many Saturdays on those terraces. I lived not far from the ground and me and my mates would watch the first half from the old railway embankment where you could see about 1/3 of the pitch and then get in for free at half time when the opened the big gates. I've also been in there when its been rammed, the old Gloucester cup games were always good and remember some big cup games. looking back its funny remembering the away fans invading the pitch to get to the Tote End but because of the dog track oval it was ages before they even got to the pitch, or in those days watching the lads try and go around the outside along the river to get at the Tote.

The the M32 first opened cars would stop on the hard shoulder to watch for free.

When I was born parents lived in Coronation Road so was brought up a City fan but we moved to Eastville when I was at primary school some many memories of the place. My mum actually worked in the Tote when the dog racing was on.

Happy days they were 1 Saturday Ashton Gate the next Eastville on the cheap.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Loïs said:

"It’s a wind-blown morning on a strip of land next to where the M5 crosses the M4"

You mean it's a s**thole, Henry?

...where I've gone a slash, whilst waiting for the AA van to turn up. I see a few builders knocking a football around during their tea break. (Don't give up the day job lads.) Looking on is a short, shifty looking, ne'er-do-well ...

21 minutes ago, chowie said:

al-Qadi says. “What we have now [the Memorial Stadium] is an old, dilapidated rugby stadium."

Playing the petty card again.... was only a few weeks ago they named it Membley.

Maybe it wouldn't be so dilapidated if they employed professionals to keep it well maintained rather than appealing for retired trades people on social media to do things on the cheap.

If they build and pay for a new stadium themselves (as everyone else has to) then there can be no complaints from us, but the feeling in that interview is they want it on the cheap out of some sentiment of being the plucky underdog.

If they don't have the money then understandable but we are told the owner is mega rich? This all reminds me of my sister in law who apologised once that my birthday present was so modest, but they were struggling financially (no problem at all of course) then turned up boasting about their new car and holiday booking a week later (that was a problem).

2 minutes ago, italian dave said:

We could go down a place before we’ve even kicked off ???

Is there really a difference between 19th and 20th? In the grand scheme of it? It's relatively meaningless.

Anyway, Blackburn are clearly shite away from home at struggling teams. Lump on us to beat them whatever happens today.?

• Like 1