IGNORED

Bristol R*vers dustbin thread

42nite

31 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

I think you may be right. I remember attending the memorial ground on a midweek and Scott Jones(?) having a late penalty saved which meant it finished 1-1.

They went down that season by a point. On the second of May.

Edit: Found it. Skip to the last minute. And enjoy the commentary if not the frankly bomb site “stadium”

Double Edit: That was the last league meeting between the clubs. You’ll note Mickey Bell at the end congratulating Phillips. Our left backs sperm has played at a higher level than Rovers have since that game.??

I hope we never have to play there ever again

• Like 1

On 21/01/2023 at 21:51, Deluded Sag said:

Rovers were actually regarded very well by the local community in Twerton, who were sorry to see them leave. I've always seen Barf as Rovers territory for this reason. 

Rovers were equally sorry to leave, as Twerton was the scene of numerous famous victories over ci*y, including the glorious 3-0 victory that confirmed us as champions of what is now L1. However, the 4-0 hammering will always have a special place in my heart. 

That isn’t true at all I’m afraid. I know for a fact the players had to do a lot of extra curricular work/appearances to try and get the locals and businesses on side. Bath was never enamoured with Bristol Rovers playing at Twerton and were quite pleased when they moved out. 

Edited by SBB

1 minute ago, SBB said:

That isn’t true at all I’m afraid. I know for a fact the players had to do a lot of extra curricular work/appearances to try and get the locals and businesses on side. Bath was never enamoured with Bristol Rovers playing at Twerton and were quite pleased when they moved out. 

Community service you say? 

“It’s what they do”

14 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

I hate to make you look stupid….

The manager who took Yeovil up from league one was Gary Johnson.

Marcus Stewart was not in the squad.

It's all a bit embarrassing really this. 

The points being made don't even mean anything to us. Even if Johnson rubbed people up the wrong way, never managed above us after he left and had a goalkeeper that peaked as a mid-table championship keeper it doesn't affect what he did with us. He ultimately got us promoted, united a club, and nearly took us up again. It fell apart eventually, but it's very rare that doesn't happen at some point. It doesn't matter what he did after he left us, or if we punched above our weight as a squad, they were good times with lots of good memories. 

What are we meant to be getting upset about? I think we are all aware of the limitations that squad had. Hell Bristol Rovers would be thriving on the plucky underdog vibes grinding out results like we did for that first season. 

• Like 1
  • Flames 2
  • Robin 1

17 minutes ago, Deluded Sag said:

Well I can speak equally confidently about PL football, if you would like. Just as you can, although presumably with less insight and perspective. 

You like to insult the intelligence of our lot yet you fall into the typical Saggie trap where if you say something it immediately becomes fact.

We took 40K to Wembley - you mustered around 30K

Aaron Collins was our Youth Team Player (until we ****** him out of it to Newport)

Best pitch outside the Prem - except Saturday

Best Goalkeeper outside the Prem (yeah, a few of you genuinely think that)

Marcus Stewart fired Yeovil to the Championship (even though his last game for them was five years earlier)

etc. etc.

• Flames 3

24 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

You just couldn’t make it up can you? ?

You're not making he/she look stupid, they’re doing perfectly fine on their own.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Flames 1

49 minutes ago, Deluded Sag said:

No, its definitely Stewart, who made it equally clear he couldn't abide Johnson. 

I wanted Stewart to do well with us, more importantly he wanted to do well and that was evident from the pure emotion on his face after his first goal for his boyhood club at Ashton Gate.

Unfortunately for various reasons him and Johnson fell out, I’m not going to speculate why or slag off a bloke who is going through an incredibly tough time right now. That’s history and, like I’ve already said, Johnson guided us to heights you’ve never experienced and went on to manage in the Championship after leaving us….so clearly he did something right.

As I’ve already asked, is this really the best you’ve got? 

Edited by Peter O Hanraha-hanrahan
  • Like 5

43 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

But as was proved, not good enough in 2006 to retain a place in the City team. He was desperately disappointing. I'd have loved him to succeed. 

You seem slightly confused about MS's exploits at Yeovil. He wasn't at the club in 2012-13 when they got promoted to the Championship. In fact, he'd retired from the field by then. He didn't rejoin Yeovil as a coach until last year. 

There is one man who you've disparaged who was at the club when they achieved their highest-ever league position though, Gary Johnson. 

Got to say, this Deluded Sag character is a bit special.

I’m starting to get this picture of some nutter in a crowded room and losing multiple arguements, who finally gives up and leaves the room.  

Next minute, they open the door again and shout “and anothing thing” before getting shot down in flames yet again!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Silvio Dante said:

That was the last league meeting between the clubs. You’ll note Mickey Bell at the end congratulating Phillips. Our left backs sperm has played at a higher level than Rovers have since that game.

Early contender for post of the year there SD! 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Silvio Dante said:

Please use gas logic and show your working out.

2 hours ago, Deluded Sag said:

Well I can speak equally confidently about PL football, if you would like. Just as you can, although presumably with less insight and perspective. 

You come across as clueless. Confidence is great however in this case misplaced.

• Like 1

I would love to know what their "ethos" is. Is it having a truly awful stance on domestic violence, is it harbouring a convicted criminal making him one of your own, giving him chants, banners, putting him on your merchandise. 

Is it stealing a historical ground from another sporting team in Bristol purely for your own financial gain? Is it giving death threats to a player who single handily got you back to back promotions, being your best ever player in the last decade?

Please, Deluded Sag, what is your ethos? Your football clubs culture, beliefs and "ethos" is maybe aligned back in the 1970s, but not in todays ever progressing world. 

• Like 5
  • Flames 1

7 hours ago, Deluded Sag said:

I do genuinely think that Phillips was a good keeper and would say this even if he hadn't played for you. 

On Phillips, I didn't say that we got one over on you. I pointed out that he had no great affection for your club and that after the JPT final, he very much gave the impression he felt he had got one over you, and Johnson in particular.

Like the rest of your team, Basso overperformed in your championship playoff final season. He never even played for Wolves, and only played 13 games for Hull. FYI Keepers don't usually reach their peak until late 20s/early 30s.

You must be Steve Phillips 

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, BanburyRed said:

Wow! Fancy getting angry at a 0-0 draw with FGR......

I know; I found that club statement extremely bizarre - “while we understand emotions were running high”. Embarrassing, that.

I also see some cretin in the comments complaining about the sentence being too harsh. No doubt a Gastard, giving it wHY dONT yOU pUNISH rEAL cRIMINALS?!? ?