IGNORED

Bristol R*vers dustbin thread

42nite

1 hour ago, Sir Geoff said:

Not sure those attendances are stadium related albeit a factor. Don't forget average attendances in the first division at that time were circa 25,000. The whole football thing boomed in the early 2000's with the advent of Sky, Internet, mobile phones, safer better stadiums, population growth...so many factors.

Also, it wasn't the norm to get under 10k average - only 3 times since 1990.

We also had a period of redevelopment which saw us have limitations from 11k - 15k a few years ago.

3 hours ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

They have a pathway ??????

Yeah, think it's the one we've see  pictures of that leads into their ice baths/bins, that has a huge trip hazard in the way thanks to the drain pipe that's running across it.

30 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

All 5 of them started at Shrewsbury.

For a side who had absolutely nothing to play for I struggle to understand the logic behind all of them starting in end of season games like this, but clearly (in his own mind anyway) Barton is some sort of football genius.

Cotts was very keen to point out (twice) afterwards that his budget was little more than half of Barton’s, the implication clearly being that as he’s finished above him in the league & taken 4 points from 6 that’s not bad for a “rugby team” who “hump it & chase it”.

You get the impression these two really don’t like each other, don’t you?

Neither Cotts nor Wilbs take prisoners, or BS, especially after the crap that that idiot has spouted. 

The fact that they're still held in high esteem here, also probably helps with their dislike of that lot. Both were here long enough to know how much "dislike" there is between us and them.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, WinterstokeRoad said:

Doesn’t this support that it would see an increase? The City stats show just 7,000-8,000 at AG in the mid-late 90’s, then averages of 11,000-12,000 in 2013-16 and a dramatic increase in average once the ground improvements took place and the team performed consistently in the 2nd tier… same at Hull, Swansea, Brighton, Blackpool, Brentford, etc really too…

We also had average attendances of 16k+ in our first spell this century in the second tier, falling to 14k during the final dross filled seasons before relegation back to L1.

As has already been pointed out, the ground redevelopment significantly reduced our capacity in the seasons you’ve mentioned between 2013-16. In fact in our first season back in the Championship Ashton Gate was the most full stadium % wise of crowds to capacity outside the Premier League, which wasn’t bad as we spent most of the season in the bottom 5.

In a new stadium Rovers would undoubtedly see an increase in crowds. If success doesn’t come on the pitch those crowds will soon drop dramatically. There’s no way they would average 19/20k like we have in the last two seasons of bottom half Championship football.

Edited by Peter O Hanraha-hanrahan

6 minutes ago, Peter O Hanraha-hanrahan said:

We also had average attendances of 16k+ in our first spell this century in the second tier, falling to 14k during the final dross filled seasons before relegation back to L1.

As has already been pointed out, the ground redevelopment significantly reduced our capacity in the seasons you’ve mentioned between 2013-16. In fact in our first season back in the Championship Ashton Gate was the most full stadium % wise of crowds to capacity outside the Premier League, which wasn’t bad as we spent most of the season in the bottom 5.

In a new stadium Rovers would undoubtedly see an increase in crowds. If success doesn’t come on the pitch those crowds will soon drop dramatically. There’s no way they would average 19/20k like we have in the last two seasons of bottom half Championship football.

They seem to think that because they took 29k to wembley in the conference they can get that in championship.

I remember watching a City win a game live on Sky when Cotts was manager. After the game the presenters were pitch side, going through the usual motions in a near empty AG when Cotts joined them live for a chat. They all laughed and joked their way through a recap of the game, easy enough I guess as City had won, but there seemed a genuine, relaxed feel about the interview. The TV people must have known they were dealing with a character who was easy going and he was happy to oblige. It was just like watching mates chatting in a pub.

Contrast that with JB interviews.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

I dread the day that Wally finally grows a pair and sacks the thug. The thought of them appointing someone who has even half an idea of how to manage a club is rather alarming.............................................

Not too worried here, I mean who has he hired so far that makes you think he will hire anyone decent in the future?

He ain't got a pot to piss in to get anyone with a proven track record - unless they are past their sell by date.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, TheReds said:

Not too worried here, I mean who has he hired so far that makes you think he will hire anyone decent in the future?

He ain't got a pot to piss in to get anyone with a proven track record - unless they are past their sell by date.

Hopefully. I`m sure the reason he hasn`t got rid before now is that he can`t afford to pay him and all the scouse mafia off. Either that or he`s scared of him - I reckon when he does finally sack him it will be over zoom from somewhere in Jordan!

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

Hopefully. I`m sure the reason he hasn`t got rid before now is that he can`t afford to pay him and all the scouse mafia off. Either that or he`s scared of him - I reckon when he does finally sack him it will be over zoom from somewhere in Jordan!

He may have fallen for all the BS himself. If he does sack him it definitely won't be face to face!!

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

I dread the day that Wally finally grows a pair and sacks the thug. The thought of them appointing someone who has even half an idea of how to manage a club is rather alarming.............................................

He will never, ever sack him

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Peter O Hanraha-hanrahan said:

Redevelopment kicked in after the end of the 2013 season when the average had been 13.3k with no closures, and first season after full redevelopment was done in 2016 was almost 50% up at 19.3k so there’s a definite jump in those figures posted. The Hull one on the same site says the same:

http://european-football-statistics.co.uk/attnclub/league/hulc.htm

as does the Brighton one:

http://european-football-statistics.co.uk/attnclub/league/bha.htm

as does the Swansea one:

http://european-football-statistics.co.uk/attnclub/league/swac.htm

48 minutes ago, redkev said:

I think you will find it was 40k ????

They went higher. 45k according to one deluded fan on that fateful day in 2014.

You also need to factor in the sheer amount of fans unfairly locked out which is somewhere in the region of 20k.

They are the next Darlington in waiting should they ever get that free ground that they are trying to scab.

45 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

I'll bet they are desperate for Reading to be relegated so they can try and beat our away attendance there.

They will struggle with that as we always sell out at Reading whatever the allocation...they will probably have more in the car park tho to be fair....it's what they do !!!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

If this happens this little beauty below might come in handy for "Wally the watch". While it does not specifically mention cigars as a risk it protects against. It does say "Our lightweight, compact and well-balanced faceshields feature various options including flame resistant faceseals for applications with hot particles."

3m-versaflo-m-206-207-faceshield.jpg?wid

Edited by cityal
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, WinterstokeRoad said:

Redevelopment kicked in after the end of the 2013 season when the average had been 13.3k with no closures, and first season after full redevelopment was done in 2016 was almost 50% up at 19.3k so there’s a definite jump in those figures posted. The Hull one on the same site says the same:

http://european-football-statistics.co.uk/attnclub/league/hulc.htm

as does the Brighton one:

http://european-football-statistics.co.uk/attnclub/league/bha.htm

as does the Swansea one:

http://european-football-statistics.co.uk/attnclub/league/swac.htm

Its kind of you to post those figures but unnecessary as I agreed with you that opening a new stadium (or substantial redevelopment of an existing stadium in our case) would see an increase in crowd numbers, whether that’s us, Brighton, Swansea or even the Blue Few.

My point was that we have maintained high attendances despite 2 relatively poor seasons and season ticket sales are again looking healthy for next year. Once the novelty of a new ground wears off the Gas crowds will soon be back down to their usual sub 10k numbers if they’re not challenging for promotion in whatever division they’re in.

21 hours ago, GrahamC said:

All 5 of them started at Shrewsbury.

For a side who had absolutely nothing to play for I struggle to understand the logic behind all of them starting in end of season games like this, but clearly (in his own mind anyway) Barton is some sort of football genius.

Cotts was very keen to point out (twice) afterwards that his budget was little more than half of Barton’s, the implication clearly being that as he’s finished above him in the league & taken 4 points from 6 that’s not bad for a “rugby team” who “hump it & chase it”.

You get the impression these two really don’t like each other, don’t you?

Totally agree. I recall that away match with swindle when they won the League in October, in the interview after the match you could see Cotts was seething. Fast forward to the return fixture & Wilbs coup de grace and Cotts celebrating. Luckily for barton 67354 I think Cotts has mellowed plus I also think that nasty bout of Covid has sadly taken its toll on him.