IGNORED

Bristol R*vers dustbin thread

42nite

10 minutes ago, weepywall said:

I thought I read that it will be for away fans aswell with a moveable barrier depending on the size of the away support so they would struggle to sell season tickets with that senario wouldn't they. They are banking on bigger away numbers to boost their crowds as they rarely sell out their home tickets.

Well, they`ve lost two clubs that bring huge support in Plymouth & Ipswich along with possibly one of Owls (unlikely) or Bolton. They`ve also lost a local derby with FGR. I can`t see Wigan or Blackpool bringing huge amounts, Reading perhaps. None of the sides coming up will travel in huge numbers to a middling League One fixture either. Away support will be well down on this season IMO.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

Well, they`ve lost two clubs that bring huge support in Plymouth & Ipswich along with possibly one of Owls (unlikely) or Bolton. They`ve also lost a local derby with FGR. I can`t see Wigan or Blackpool bringing huge amounts, Reading perhaps. None of the sides coming up will travel in huge numbers to a middling League One fixture either. Away support will be well down on this season IMO.

Just about to say exactly that.
Not sure I understand the reasoning behind the "new stand" , unless. They are trying to prove (hope)  they will get bigger attendances by improving the Mem slightly. Then they can Bullshit potential new owners about "build it and they will come" nonsense .

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Miah Dennehy said:

I used to drink in there every night of the week, back when Pam had it. Met my wife in there!

What are your thoughts on the latest plans at Rovers? Is it right to build a new stand as a plan B or should they go all in at the FM? If the FM doesn't work out then building such a basic structure might turn out to be short sighted and the club falls down on both plans? Does it concern the fans that Wael has taken out a loan for this?

On 14/05/2023 at 08:47, 42nite said:

Can't imagine many away fans dream is to see the Memorial Ground.

Unless it's for the comedy factor or to check if all the rumours are actually true.

I worked with a long time Plymouth season ticket holder who went with his mates to one away game every year to make a weekend of it.

I can't remember who was promoted or relegated but one season Rovers and Plymouth were in the same division for the first time in a few years so I asked if that was going to be their choice this season given its proximity.

He said that it was actually the first one they had ruled out because of the terrible facilities for away fans.

Having a poor ground does actually cost the club money, I do wonder if that's a reason for their relatively high away attendances as compared to their home attendances: the ground's stands and facilities are so poor that even a chunk of their own fans avoid it.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Open End Numb Legs said:

What are your thoughts on the latest plans at Rovers? Is it right to build a new stand as a plan B or should they go all in at the FM? If the FM doesn't work out then building such a basic structure might turn out to be short sighted and the club falls down on both plans? Does it concern the fans that Wael has taken out a loan for this?

While I obviously want to see Rovers be as successful as possible, I long, long, long ago stopped worrying about the behind the scenes stuff.  I like being able to stand up at The Mem, I like our ground being near Gloucester Road and I like that- at the moment- we are a relatively entertaining side to watch. I'm sure many will cry 'typical lack of ambition' but football is nowhere near as important to me as it was years ago, having a good day out is my priority :)

• Like 10

12 minutes ago, Eddie Hitler said:

I worked with a long time Plymouth season ticket holder who went with his mates to one away game every year to make a weekend of it.

I can't remember who was promoted or relegated but one season Rovers and Plymouth were in the same division for the first time in a few years so I asked if that was going to be their choice this season given its proximity.

He said that it was actually the first one they had ruled out because of the terrible facilities for away fans.

Having a poor ground does actually cost the club money, I do wonder if that's a reason for their relatively high away attendances as compared to their home attendances: the ground's stands and facilities are so poor that even a chunk of their own fans avoid it.

You make a good point. I know at least 7 so-called "hardcore" Gasheads in my local area: none of them attends the Mem, but occasionally they might make a journey for a "big" match elsewhere.

It wouldn't surprise me if you surveyed everyone who said they were a City or Rovers fan, that the numbers were slightly more even than attendances suggest - not equivalent - but a much smaller fraction of the 15ers actually watches live football, and, as I've noted elsewhere, we're actually picking up younger fans and new-to-Bristol fans in a way they can't.  Can you imagine anything more depressing for a neutral than a trip to that foetid swamp?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Miah Dennehy said:

I used to drink in there every night of the week, back when Pam had it. Met my wife in there!

Good pub that, haven't been in for a few years, I remember there used to be an old chap (I say old,but probably younger than me) Nick(?) a "residen"t of Stoke/Manor Park,he was always good value !

10 minutes ago, slartibartfast said:

Good pub that, haven't been in for a few years, I remember there used to be an old chap (I say old,but probably younger than me) Nick(?) a "residen"t of Stoke/Manor Park,he was always good value !

There were a few residents who used to go in there, Denis and Steve the punk I particularly remember. I used to go there from around 1981 to 1990.

2 hours ago, Red-Robbo said:

You make a good point. I know at least 7 so-called "hardcore" Gasheads in my local area: none of them attends the Mem, but occasionally they might make a journey for a "big" match elsewhere.

It wouldn't surprise me if you surveyed everyone who said they were a City or Rovers fan, that the numbers were slightly more even than attendances suggest - not equivalent - but a much smaller fraction of the 15ers actually watches live football, and, as I've noted elsewhere, we're actually picking up younger fans and new-to-Bristol fans in a way they can't.  Can you imagine anything more depressing for a neutral than a trip to that foetid swamp?

I'm sure it would put you off.

I remember an evening game at the Goldstone, Brighton's old ground, where it was crumbling. Seal scored.

Whole sections of the terraces were cordoned off for safety reasons and the toilets were literally half an inch deep in piss.

Even had they not knocked it down I would never have gone back.

These things do matter, I've mentioned having a season one time at Fulham standing on the great terrace behind the goal with its roof and looking at the unroofed away terrace. That just seemed rude.

In a later season, 1998 maybe, I watched City play there in the rain but decided to watch from the dry comfort of the home terrace.

1 minute ago, Eddie Hitler said:

I'm sure it would put you off.

I remember an evening game at the Goldstone, Brighton's old ground, where it was crumbling. Seal scored.

Whole sections of the terraces were cordoned off for safety reasons and the toilets were literally half an inch deep in piss.

Even had they not knocked it down I would never have gone back.

These things do matter, I've mentioned having a season one time at Fulham standing on the great terrace behind the goal with its roof and looking at the unroofed away terrace. That just seemed rude.

In a later season, 1998 maybe, I watched City play there in the rain but decided to watch from the dry comfort of the home terrace.

I've never been more soaking in my life than watching us play at Saltergate once in the 90s. I may as well have jumped into a swimming pool fully clothed. 

• Haha 2

21 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

I've never been more soaking in my life than watching us play at Saltergate once in the 90s. I may as well have jumped into a swimming pool fully clothed. 

Actually the wettest I can remember being at a game was that semi final against Forest at Ashton Gate. The Open End was split between home and away fans but the away fan numbers pushed as into a smaller section then usual. I found myself at the very back of the terracing up against the railings and the rain was beating at my back. It soaked through my coat, a jumper and a shirt and jeans, I could feel it running like a stream down the middle of my back and through the crack in my arse. 

It was happy enough to take the punishment until Parker scored. :(. 

• Sad 1

37 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

Actually the wettest I can remember being at a game was that semi final against Forest at Ashton Gate. The Open End was split between home and away fans but the away fan numbers pushed as into a smaller section then usual. I found myself at the very back of the terracing up against the railings and the rain was beating at my back. It soaked through my coat, a jumper and a shirt and jeans, I could feel it running like a stream down the middle of my back and through the crack in my arse. 

It was happy enough to take the punishment until Parker scored. :(. 

Probably not the best time and location, but I have heard (from a friend, I'm sorry, I can't reveal her name) that some girls would pay a lot of money for such an experience.

• Haha 2
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Red-Robbo said:

Newport County on their grass terrace in the rainy season!

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Miah Dennehy said:

While I obviously want to see Rovers be as successful as possible, I long, long, long ago stopped worrying about the behind the scenes stuff.  I like being able to stand up at The Mem, I like our ground being near Gloucester Road and I like that- at the moment- we are a relatively entertaining side to watch. I'm sure many will cry 'typical lack of ambition' but football is nowhere near as important to me as it was years ago, having a good day out is my priority :)

Fair enough,  I agree they should stay where they are. If you see my previous posts I think Rovers should re build a stand at a time but I understand the temptation of a shiny new ground. Staying in a relatively historical base is important I think, as one or 2 rugby clubs have found recently.

• Like 1