IGNORED

Bristol R*vers dustbin thread

42nite

2 hours ago, Open End Numb Legs said:

Fair enough,  I agree they should stay where they are. If you see my previous posts I think Rovers should re build a stand at a time but I understand the temptation of a shiny new ground. Staying in a relatively historical base is important I think, as one or 2 rugby clubs have found recently.

Wouldn’t make much financial sense, whatever they do to the Rugby ground they won’t be able to make money from it every day.

For all their harping on about our supposedly plastic stadium they and their owners know that what Lansdown has done with us is the way forward. We’ve just been able to do it without upping sticks and moving away from our roots.

Whatever they get at the Fruit Market they’ll never have what we have at Ashton Gate, an impressive, modern looking stadium that is also a spiritual home with over a century of history.

• Flames 1

7 hours ago, Port Said Red said:

Actually the wettest I can remember being at a game was that semi final against Forest at Ashton Gate. The Open End was split between home and away fans but the away fan numbers pushed as into a smaller section then usual. I found myself at the very back of the terracing up against the railings and the rain was beating at my back. It soaked through my coat, a jumper and a shirt and jeans, I could feel it running like a stream down the middle of my back and through the crack in my arse. 

It was happy enough to take the punishment until Parker scored. :(. 

I'll raise you Wigan away, late 80's at Springfield park on the old mud bank away end. It was carnage! ;)     ?

Nott's County away in the cup around 85 was bad too, sunny as hell when we left Bristol, bloody snowing in Nottingham! :colder:

Edited by Ska Junkie
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

13 minutes ago, Ska Junkie said:

I'll raise you Wigan away, late 80's at Springfield park on the old mud bank away end. It was carnage! ;)

Nott's County away in the cup around 85 was bad too, sunny as hell when we left Bristol, bloody snowing in Nottingham! :colder:

That mud bank at Wigan was hilarious.

It had a “Rovers quality” (ie shit) little “stand” on top. I remember being there for a match (sure we lost !) where the rain was coming in horizontally.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

This current weather related tangent has reminded me that you don’t seem to get matches abandoned because of fog any more. I can remember a City match abandoned at half time because of fog, but that was in the days when you could have a good night out for a shilling and still come home with change. Where has it gone. 

3 minutes ago, The Gasbuster said:

That mud bank at Wigan was hilarious.

It had a “Rovers quality” (ie shit) little “stand” on top. I remember being there for a match (sure we lost !) where the rain was coming in horizontally.

That's the one GB, Arf was covered in shit IIRC, amongst ,many others, myself include as I fell down the bugger.

I have a distant memory that we drew but wouldn't swear on it as I couldn't see anything! :(

Edited by Ska Junkie

2 minutes ago, pongo88 said:

This current weather related tangent has reminded me that you don’t seem to get matches abandoned because of fog any more. I can remember a City match abandoned at half time because of fog, but that was in the days when you could have a good night out for a shilling and still come home with change. Where has it gone. 

Leeds wasn't it?

3 minutes ago, pongo88 said:

The only game in recent times I can remember with really bad fog was (I think) away at Torquay, we won 3-0 but had no idea what was going on down the far end of the pitch as you couldn't see anything.

Didn't get abandoned though.

2 minutes ago, Ska Junkie said:

Leeds wasn't it?

The match I’m thinking about was at home in the 60s. I’m not sure whi was  City’s opposition but I don’t think it was Leeds 

Went to Wigan early 90s. We had the grass bank. Gas had played there mid week, but didn't take enough for the bank to be opened. Had "Deafy" on our coach. Won 3-2 with one of our goals scored when he was having a pee. He thought we had drawn until someone bought the pink un in Brum.

• Haha 3

9 minutes ago, Tinmans Love Child said:

While we are doing weather who can forget the weird frozen rain on derby day early 90's which was invisible to the eye but if you walked on it you went down on your arse!  The game got called off, I remember being gutted

That was in December 1995 wasn't it?  I had a mishap in the motor on that ice went down Ilchester Crescent sideways

• Flames 1

26 minutes ago, Tinmans Love Child said:

While we are doing weather who can forget the weird frozen rain on derby day early 90's which was invisible to the eye but if you walked on it you went down on your arse!  The game got called off, I remember being gutted

95-96

Edited by southside
  • Like 1
  • Flames 1

29 minutes ago, Tinmans Love Child said:

I’d forgotten about that! I was gutted too. I ended up spending a few hours in the Baccy Jar in Whitchurch and got thoroughly pissed.  

• Haha 1

57 minutes ago, richwwtk said:

The only game in recent times I can remember with really bad fog was (I think) away at Torquay, we won 3-0 but had no idea what was going on down the far end of the pitch as you couldn't see anything.

Didn't get abandoned though.

Leroy lita hat trick ( so I was told ) yes I was there 

• Robin 1

1 hour ago, redkev said:

Leroy lita hat trick ( so I was told ) yes I was there 

I was working for a world leading IT company at the time and had been invited to see, on the Friday evening, some retail technology which had been installed at the Millennium Stadium  ahead of the Wales v Ireland Grand Slam decider. Unexpectedly, the supplier invited me to join them at the match the following day which I happily accepted despite neither being Welsh, Irish nor a great rugby follower. 

I suspect I was the only one in the packed stadium listening to commentary of the Torquay v City match on Radio Bristol whilst watching Wales win the Triple Crown and Grand Slam!

• Haha 4

7 hours ago, Ronnie Sinclair said:

That was in December 1995 wasn't it?  I had a mishap in the motor on that ice went down Ilchester Crescent sideways

Was it that late in the 90's, I remember I was living in Staple Hill (opposite Disco shop!) as I slipped on the path, but we moved to Bradley Stoke around then as well so assumed it was earlier!  Amazing what 30 years does to memories! ?

8 hours ago, Tinmans Love Child said:

8 hours ago, Ronnie Sinclair said:

I was working on the Post for a short time around then. Left my car for no more than 20 minutes and when I got back the water on the windscreen had frozen in bubbles/ripples. Never seen a flash freeze like it. Made it home and struggled to get almost to the Gate when we found it was off. Could barely walk anywhere without slipping, it was mad. We plotted up in the Port Wall Tavern and a mate rang his Dad to pick us up. Never seen anything like it before or since.

5 hours ago, slartibartfast said:

Oxford as Well .

We were in the wrong stand , the other end from our lot. Could barely see a thing, I think we scored in front of our end as well. Had a laugh with Timmy Mallet who was sat behind us, mainly at his expense .

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, miser said:

Went to Wigan early 90s. We had the grass bank. Gas had played there mid week, but didn't take enough for the bank to be opened. Had "Deafy" on our coach. Won 3-2 with one of our goals scored when he was having a pee. He thought we had drawn until someone bought the pink un in Brum.

Deafy from Henbury, knew him pretty well used the Henbury Social club

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, SDBS36 said:

Deafy from Henbury, knew him pretty well used the Henbury Social club

Wasn’t his brother, Alex(?), blind? Used to sit in the old grandstand with the radio commentary. 

Edited by glynriley