IGNORED

Bristol R*vers dustbin thread

42nite

1 minute ago, Peter O Hanraha-hanrahan said:

Wimbledon were actually good.

Having ambition is not a bad thing or something to be embarrassed about, you should try it sometime.

The only people who ever talk about being ‘massive’ is Gasheads, which makes it even more amusing when you boast about being the 6th richest club in the country before your owner gives you this ?

30EED236-0923-4EF3-A797-A82A55794CDD.jpeg

That was the new Spurs ground, right? We were told they invested the same as them.

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Hot Air said:

Its interesting - Rovers have often adopted their 'small-time' (or 'tinpot') aspects in the same way that Wimbledon did in the 1980s, with the 'Crazy Gang' mentality - Steve Hamer, a former chairman, even directly drew this comparison. You'll recall that we actually embraced this at Twerton.

In contrast, it is City's attempt to make the leap into a genuine contender that invariably amuses. Watching you try and then fall flat on your face, as in the 2008 play-off final, is a continual source of amusement. You try so hard to be 'massive' but never quite make it. 

Deluded Clowns ?

Just can’t get anything right can you? ?

2C4A686D-8CC5-4F48-8235-1A4FA6133E0F.jpeg.dad56ff76c90959a9b4c5724801a092b.jpeg

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Hot Air said:

Its interesting - Rovers have often adopted their 'small-time' (or 'tinpot') aspects in the same way that Wimbledon did in the 1980s, with the 'Crazy Gang' mentality - Steve Hamer, a former chairman, even directly drew this comparison. You'll recall that we actually embraced this at Twerton.

In contrast, it is City's attempt to make the leap into a genuine contender that invariably amuses. Watching you try and then fall flat on your face, as in the 2008 play-off final, is a continual source of amusement. You try so hard to be 'massive' but never quite make it. 

This is the crux of it. There’s no city fan that thinks we’re massive or even a big club . The thought that one day we might go up terrifies you though doesn’t it . This also goes to show Einstein how very little you know about how much money it takes just to survive in the championship . Then again you wouldn’t . 

• Like 2
  • Flames 1

26 minutes ago, JBFC II said:

As you were so concerned about 'tinpot' moments from the last century earlier on in the thread, intrigued by your views on these, all of which happened in the last decade?

I could go on, but I'm sure thatll give you enough to comment on for now...

download.jpeg-1.jpg

download.jpeg-2.jpg

download.jpeg-3.jpg

download.jpeg-4.jpg

IMG-20230805-WA0001.jpg

Missed an open goal with the open top bus tour when no fans turned up 

3 minutes ago, steviestevieneville said:

This is the crux of it. There’s no city fan that thinks we’re massive or even a big club . The thought that one day we might go up terrifies you though doesn’t it . This also goes to show Einstein how very little you know about how much money it takes just to survive in the championship . Then again you wouldn’t . 

It should terrify them.

They have an aging fanbase, with a small proportion of u18s through it.

For every child attending a rovers match, 3 are attending a City match. That number will only increase exponentially if we do go up in the next few years.

Us being promoted would be absolutely devastating for them as a football club. Before long they'd be down to 5k a week, especially with how little growth they've shown this century 

• Flames 2

1 minute ago, JBFC II said:

So you'd rather aim to be small time and bounce between league one, two and non-league than show any ambition and get within a game of being in the Premier League.

If you find us reaching the championship play off final at Wembley a source of content amusement, how do you think we view you lot getting relegated to non league against a team playing in your kit, having celebrated survival the week before? Theres total levels to this

I don't really have any ambition to go higher than the Championship. I don't like the PL and I think it is becoming increasingly impossible for teams from the lower leagues to genuinely compete - teams hit a glass ceiling and then steadily decline.

The costs of competing at that level are too great - look at Reading. You could conceivably go even further and emulate your successive relegations of 1976-80. Bigger clubs than you have done this. 

Both are forms of schadenfreude aren't they? I take a mild pleasure in watching you fall flat on your face - I'm not actively invested in it, like some of our fanbase. 

• Confused 1

21 minutes ago, Hot Air said:

Wimbledon back then were a bunch of wanchors.

You lot have so much in common with them.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Hot Air said:

I don't really have any ambition to go higher than the Championship.

I can understand that point of view, I think in our case we are trying to build the right way rather than boom and bust. Time will tell.

I suggest you don't say that to Joey though. If you do and he lights up a cigar........

28 minutes ago, Hot Air said:

The problem with your concern about 'crimes against women' in the ME is that it is entirely selective. People use it as a stick to beat the region with, and this is shown by the fact that they don't even bother to consult the women of the region on their 'oppression'. The hijab is an obvious example of this - westerners look at this as a form of oppression whereas many Muslim women view as an expression of their freedom of choice and not, by definition, as a form of 'oppression'. 

Selective, a bit like you and your fellow gasheads with the truth,

Wasn't it Danny Baker who wrote (not that many of your dwindling fan base can read)

Bristol rovers fans are compulsive liars and that Bristol rovers were the most pointless club in the football league (that's and achiement since you've only been a league club for 8 years)

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Hot Air said:

I don't really have any ambition to go higher than the Championship. I don't like the PL and I think it is becoming increasingly impossible for teams from the lower leagues to genuinely compete - teams hit a glass ceiling and then steadily decline.

The costs of competing at that level are too great - look at Reading. You could conceivably go even further and emulate your successive relegations of 1976-80. Bigger clubs than you have done this. 

Both are forms of schadenfreude aren't they? I take a mild pleasure in watching you fall flat on your face - I'm not actively invested in it, like some of our fanbase. 

Yours and Rovers ambition is to be 1 place above us. 

• Flames 1
  • Robin 1

2 minutes ago, Hot Air said:

Fall flat on our face in finishing in a league position you've never achieved in your history. Struggling to see the amusement in that for you...

I mean, if you're happy being crap that's fine. I think we both know your aim as a club is to finish above us in the league, that's all you wish for now, which speaks volumes.

Ours is to get into the premier league, you needn't bother about not wanting to reach it as you'll never get there, not with 7k crowds and 3 sides to your stadium.

Pipe down and get back to salivating about beating Charlton to rise to a massive 4 places below cambridge. You can even do it in a mug celebrating the win!

35 minutes ago, Hot Air said:

The problem with your concern about 'crimes against women' in the ME is that it is entirely selective. People use it as a stick to beat the region with, and this is shown by the fact that they don't even bother to consult the women of the region on their 'oppression'. The hijab is an obvious example of this - westerners look at this as a form of oppression whereas many Muslim women view as an expression of their freedom of choice and not, by definition, as a form of 'oppression'. 

And what happens to women who try to fight against Muslim traditions I.e. wearing a hijab

19 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

This lot of now maimed Middle Eastern women would welcome the freedom of choice to not wear hijabs.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-64503873

Amazing, how you go from coming on another team's forum to try to boast about your side's inaugural victory of the season and denigrate our club in the most feeble way possible ['22 years ago you had a chairman who many years before he became a millionaire businessman and joined you, played music on stage for a manufactured pop band'] to trying to excuse the widespread suppression of women's rights across much of the Middle East.  What a bizarre corner you've backed yourself into. 

Par for course for someone whose only defence of a convicted wife-beater is whattoutism. 

An interesting link, but Iran is not generally spoken of as part of the Middle East. You are presumably also aware that the Islamic Republic is towards the more extreme end of the Islamic political spectrum, which leaves you open to the charge of cherry-picking. 

The region is not just defined in geographical terms, but also in ethnic, religious and cultural terms. Iran is generally spoken of as something separate from the Middle East, and as an external force that acts on the region.

Just now, RedRaw said:

And what happens to women who try to fight against Muslim traditions I.e. wearing a hijab

Its interesting - there's no requirement within Islam for women to wear the hijab. It is more linked to patriarchy and culture than religion.

One of the most common misconceptions is that women are forced by their fathers or male authority figures to wear the hijab. Another, which largely follows by implication, is that women from the same family will all wear the hijab - however, this isn't always the case. 

The requirement for women to wear the hijab is actually quite recent and is strongly linked to the emergence of political Islam. In places like Palestine, Turkey, North Africa and Jordan, women are generally free to make a choice on the matter. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

Selective, a bit like you and your fellow gasheads with the truth,

Wasn't it Danny Baker who wrote (not that many of your dwindling fan base can read)

Bristol rovers fans are compulsive liars and that Bristol rovers were the most pointless club in the football league (that's and achiement since you've only been a league club for 8 years)

What would Danny Baker know about Bristol Rovers? And, more to the point, why would I care? 

He is a Millwall-supporting loudmouth who was sacked by the BBC for tweeting extraordinarily racist material. 

7 hours ago, Red-Robbo said:

Incidentally, the real drummer in Bros, who wrote all the songs, is now a multi-millionaire manager for artistes like Anastacia, Beverley Knight and Imelda May and his music firm has offices in London and Los Angeles. Before that he ran RCA records.

Davidson was in a number of undistinguished bands in the 80s [as was I], was a tour keyboard player for the Pet Shop Boys and Bros thanks to a connection with the late Tom Watkins, manager of both groups, before setting up Trade-It when he was in his late 20s and having a highly successful business career. He's still only 60. 

The idea that because you can play keyboards well is some source of shame could only occur to a desperate and deluded 15er. Just like thinking having a nice watch means you must be one of the world's wealthiest men. 

Scott Davidson

now a property developer 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Hot Air said:

What would Danny Baker know about Bristol Rovers? And, more to the point, why would I care? 

He is a Millwall-supporting loudmouth who was sacked by the BBC for tweeting extraordinarily racist material. 

A little bit like why would we care that Charlton are a bigger club than Milwall?

15 minutes ago, Hot Air said:

Its interesting - there's no requirement within Islam for women to wear the hijab. It is more linked to patriarchy and culture than religion.

One of the most common misconceptions is that women are forced by their fathers or male authority figures to wear the hijab. Another, which largely follows by implication, is that women from the same family will all wear the hijab - however, this isn't always the case. 

The requirement for women to wear the hijab is actually quite recent and is strongly linked to the emergence of political Islam. In places like Palestine, Turkey, North Africa and Jordan, women are generally free to make a choice on the matter. 

Yet again, you don’t answer the question….I’ll ask again, what happens to women who FIGHT against Muslim tradition I.e wearing a hijab

I’ll give you a clue….not those living in liberal Muslim countries 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Hot Air said:

Let’s get your whataboutery back to some sort of context. 

Can you see any link between that and why some alleged victims of alleged domestic violence decline to give evidence against their alleged abusers? I think that’s what happened for both Barton and Greenwood isn’t it?

• Like 1

Evening all, why exactly are we giving this gas **** the time of day?

No problem with respectful posters, but this isn't one.

It thinks it's clever too, that's the worst bit.

They wouldn't entertain us on the wind up on their forum. Just ignore it, and hopefully it'll go away.

• Like 2
  • Flames 5

8 minutes ago, BrightCiderLife said:

Let’s get your whataboutery back to some sort of context. 

Can you see any link between that and why some alleged victims of alleged domestic violence decline to give evidence against their alleged abusers? I think that’s what happened for both Barton and Greenwood isn’t it?

Its interesting - in the Barton case, his wife's refusal to give evidence was cited as a reason for the trial not going ahead, despite the fact that there were alleged eyewitnesses, in addition to the testimony of the attending police officer/s and physical injuries.

My original assumption was that the trial could still go ahead, even though his wife withdrew her initial allegations. 

However, this did not appear to be the case. Presumably, this exposes a major gap in the protection of alleged domestic violence victims, as I'm guessing many women are actually reluctant to give evidence? 

However, in both cases, the club can only act in accordance with what the law permits. 

1 hour ago, Red-Robbo said:

This lot of now maimed Middle Eastern women would welcome the freedom of choice to not wear hijabs.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-64503873

Holy crap, you are seriously going with that? 
Tell you what… https://www.thenationalnews.com/lifestyle/fashion/2022/03/08/the-fight-for-the-hijab-muslim-women-lament-their-lack-of-freedom-to-choose/?outputType=amp

Hijab isn’t an article of religious oppression, it’s a cultural choice, that is suppressed in some places by religious zealots, and not only those zealots that claim to follow Islam… it’s the choice to or nor to that’s cracked down on by some

Some people need serious education…and  I don’t just mean in the Middle East…

54 minutes ago, RedRaw said:

The initial question was framed in relation to Jordan, a generally fairly liberal Muslim country, so let's focus on that specific example. Women are not generally forced to wear the hijab, and so they do not need to fight against it. The question doesn't necessarily arise.