IGNORED

Bristol R*vers dustbin thread

42nite

17 hours ago, slartibartfast said:

They're playing a dodgy game as regards votes in the future. Why would they pander to a small enclave of fewers (clues in the name, comrades ) ?

If anyone's votes in the next election are swayed by the approach taken by any party with this situation then I really just give up on humanity!

2 hours ago, Topper 123 said:

Is this not setting a precedent to future applications in Bristol maybe not so big  where by council application is in for build but told not too commence but hey fack council I’ll build anyway ?

They do say it's easier to ask for forgiveness than for permission.......

• Sad 1

Are they still banging on about 'Atmosphere'? Beat this saggies, a quote from Graham Poll, ex FIFA referee.....

''Despite my refereeing experiences around the world, I cannot recall a greater contrast between players than at the final whistle. Bristol City, who had scored two late goals to qualify, were ecstatic, while all connected with Hartlepool were in despair. The noise within the stadium when the two home goals went in was incredible and compared favourably with a full Nou Camp for a Champions League quarter-final."

Edited by Ska Junkie
  • Like 4
  • Flames 3
  • Robin 1

13 hours ago, Eddie Hitler said:

IMO the BEP certainly used to have a pro-Rovers bias, which was especially noticeable when there were arrests for football related trouble: City arrests headlined but Rovers arrests quietly tucked away, but to be entirely fair I haven't noticed that for a few years now.

Other than that I agree.

Mike Norton, the editor until about 5 years ago, was a Gashead, I believe. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, italian dave said:

I think it will, as others have said, royally piss off the planning officers and councillors. But ultimately I don't believe that the planners can do otherwise than consider the application on its merit. In other words, they can't refuse something that would otherwise get consent, just because it's already built. 

Not least because they'd only lose on appeal.

They should refuse the planning and make them go to appeal just for the attitude they have shown towards everyone involved from the residents to the planners.

Plus it would be funny.

• Like 1
  • Hmmm 1

25 minutes ago, elhombrecito said:

Oh, they won't be happy about this. The Greens winning an election, with votes counted at their beloved home ground.

Screenshot_20230825-111711-943.png

That turnout will be rounded up to 40,000 and included in the fewers average attendance for the season.

Edited by glynriley
  • Haha 8

12 hours ago, Ska Junkie said:

Are they still banging on about 'Atmosphere'? Beat this saggies, a quote from Graham Poll, ex FIFA referee.....

''Despite my refereeing experiences around the world, I cannot recall a greater contrast between players than at the final whistle. Bristol City, who had scored two late goals to qualify, were ecstatic, while all connected with Hartlepool were in despair. The noise within the stadium when the two home goals went in was incredible and compared favourably with a full Nou Camp for a Champions League quarter-final."

I watched this on TV and the cameras were shaking. I don't think it matters what level a match is, when the atmosphere is rocking, its a very special feeling.

Edited by Miah Dennehy
  • Like 8
  • Flames 1

37 minutes ago, Miah Dennehy said:

I watched this on TV and the cameras were shaking.

The Dolman had a bit of a wobble as well mate.

Did your evening go something like this?

We went 1 down….“unlucky the shit

Final whistle, pitch invasion, Roberts being carried around on people’s shoulders…”it’s all your fault you bald headed ****!

• Haha 3

31 minutes ago, Peter O Hanraha-hanrahan said:

Final whistle, pitch invasion, Roberts being carried around on people’s shoulders…”it’s all your fault you bald headed ****!

What about Roberts?

1 hour ago, JBFC II said:

Another signing for them, Ryan Woods from Hull.

Good player for league one, but that's a 12th signing this summer. If they don't go up they could be in serious issues surely?

Full to the brim on loans, again. But the perms they’ve done are very expensive, old, signings. Said before they’re going for broke this season and are probably gonna be in a sticky situation next summer if/when they don’t go up. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, petehinton said:

Full to the brim on loans, again. But the perms they’ve done are very expensive, old, signings. Said before they’re going for broke this season and are probably gonna be in a sticky situation next summer if/when they don’t go up. 

Collins could still go, either this summer or next. Could be a big fee (relative for us)

• Haha 5

5 minutes ago, petehinton said:

What the **** has happened to his career since Brentford? Highly rated there.

Then Stoke paid a fortune for him & he only played 20 games in two seasons, Millwall took him on loan (twice) & passed up the opportunity (twice) to sign him.

One season at Birmingham & they also moved him on, he’s never got a regular run at Hull, either.

1 hour ago, Boring Sag said:

Collins could still go, either this summer or next. Could be a big fee (relative for us)

What do you reckon, £25m??

Didn't Barton claim he was worth £4m? Yet he has yet to get into a pretty poor Wales squad.

On the evidence so far there doesn't seem to be a clamour to buy him so I wouldn't bank on a massive windfall just yet.

58 minutes ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

What on earth is this?

A grown man taking a picture of himself just because there's a couple of footballers somewhere in the background?

Good god. Pathetic. 

Probably tapping them up for a loan move, on Jailbirds instruction.

Or maybe he's heard they have an interest in construction (outside of their stellar premier league lives) and are looking to keep their hand in...

1 hour ago, Boring Sag said:

Let’s be honest, the fact no one has come in for him speaks volumes. Had a pretty average second half of the season last year after a spectacular first half, and from Gas mates seems to have started the season pretty poorly. Should’ve tried to cash in for him when you had the chance. 

2 minutes ago, petehinton said:

Let’s be honest, the fact no one has come in for him speaks volumes. Had a pretty average second half of the season last year after a spectacular first half, and from Gas mates seems to have started the season pretty poorly. Should’ve tried to cash in for him when you had the chance. 

Can’t stop scoring this season, can he?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GrahamC said:

What the **** has happened to his career since Brentford? Highly rated there.

Then Stoke paid a fortune for him & he only played 20 games in two seasons, Millwall took him on loan (twice) & passed up the opportunity (twice) to sign him.

One season at Birmingham & they also moved him on, he’s never got a regular run at Hull, either.

Only 29 as well!

Thought he looked incredible against us a few times in that Brentford team, but then he was playing a very specific role in a team with a clear plan and identity. As highlighted above he's not been able to replicate that anywhere since!

Weirdly, at the right price is one I would have considered a gamble on here but is probably one of those players that looks better to opposition fans rather than those who watch him week in week out. (Barry Bannan...) Lots of passing, looks very pretty but little end result and playing in a team with lesser players will contribute even less and have weaknesses exposed.

• Flames 1

2 hours ago, petehinton said:

With FFP and all these loans, hypothetically, wouldn't they be in a sticky situation IF, god forbid, they did go up?

According to a Bristol Live or some such I saw earlier their `stand` application is being `fast tracked` through planning.

Why FFS? If it was a new intensive care unit for Southmead Hospital or something that is worthwhile by all means rush it through but some Meccano structure for a third rate tinpot football club?

I bet Manor Farm or Bris would have to wait their turn if they wanted to build something.

Edited by Lanterne Rouge
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, Ska Junkie said:

With FFP and all these loans, hypothetically, wouldn't they be in a sticky situation IF, god forbid, they did go up?

I can't see them ever fluking their way into the Championship unless they have even more extra training sessions on diving to get penalties & opposition players sent off. But, if they did ever manage to do it, it would be most likely the most embarrassing season for any team ever in the Championship. I reckon they'd be lucky to get 10 points all season, so it would be a joy to watch :laugh: and with the costs involved (they don't have a clue!) after relegation there is more chance that they would disappear up their own shitepipe and go bust and disappear like an annoying wasp when you put your size 10 boot on it's head.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

According to a Bristol Live or some such I saw earlier their `stand` application is being `fast tracked` through planning.

Why FFS? If it was a new intensive care unit for Southmead Hospital or something that is worthwhile by all means rush it through but some Meccano structure for a third rate tinpot football club?

I bet Manor Farm or Bris would have to wait their turn if they wanted to build something.

Don’t go claiming they’re getting preferential treatment, some will post on this thread that everyone is dealt with in exactly the same way, there’s absolutely no favouritism or bias at all.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Peter O Hanraha-hanrahan said:

Well obviously I turned off pretty quickly after the goal.