IGNORED

Bristol R*vers dustbin thread

42nite

8 minutes ago, italian dave said:

Whisper it….but didn’t we do something similar involving Liam Rosenior once? Can’t remember the details now. 

We had to notify him of a Contract Offer by a certain date and put a second class stamp instead of a first class one on the letter........ok the last bit was artistic license but you get the drift!!

Edited by Numero Uno
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

We had to notify him of a Contract Offer by a certain date and put a second class stamp instead of a first class one on the letter........ok the last but was artistic license but you get the drift!!

Bears did something similar in recent years, and ended up with a few players on their squad they had wanted rid of - bad timing as it coincided with the wage cap reducing. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

Yeap, our club secretary didn't get the offer to him, so he was able to walk away. Back then there was no automatic right to compensation unless you had offered at least equivalent terms to what they were on previously.

Just to emphasise what a complete shambles it was we got the late Colin Sexstone to plead our case about some error & eventually were awarded the grand sum of £55k in compensation.

If you look at the career Liam Rosenior subsequently had & even though we were a far smaller operation in those days, it was tinpot in a way those jokers over the river now exhibit on a frequent basis.

Edited by GrahamC

It must definitely be the Teds fault  - stole the fax machine, jammed the electricity meter so Rovers couldn’t put in any more coins, changed their clocks so that they thought it was an hour earlier than it was, hid their only pen so JCH couldn’t sign the forms, hacked the phone line so the fax went to Vladimir Putin etc 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

31 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

We don't sign players for £800K with no re-sale value any more............because the Owner finally realised the bit highlighted (it won't be his fault mind). This was literally a shit or bust signing by Rovers albeit his scoring record at the level gives any buyer a very high degree of confidence he will score 20+ goals (far better than his record at the level above btw so it would have been a pretty shite "punt" had we gone for him imo).

Would he score less than what we’ve got up front at the moment?

25 minutes ago, italian dave said:

Whisper it….but didn’t we do something similar involving Liam Rosenior once? Can’t remember the details now. 

Dave, we can all do admin wrong. Our media team is useless, we got the semaphore wrong in our recent shirt, and we once used comic sans on a training kit. But right now, on this thread, in this moment, in this universe, and on this pale blue dot, we are laughing at a tinpot team ******* up a fax.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Flames 1
  • Robin 1

53 minutes ago, Riaz said:

People are really trying to claim that a 800k bid for a failed championship striker, is more ambitious than the millions we spent on:

Bentley, Famara, Kalas, Wells, Massengo, Palmer, Dasilva, Knight, etc etc 

I want some of what your smoking ??‍♂️

For the division. It’s all relative. 

All those millions, how much did we make on Fammy, Kalas, Dasilva? 

Just now, Hello Dave said:

That's not a reason to spend £800K on a player who then has no re-sale value is it? I understand the logic of The Few - he is likely to bang in 20 goals, get them to the play-offs and if they did go up worry about the issues that come with JCH at that point. Still a high risk strategy but a far lower risk one than us signing him particularly when the fact of the matter is we NEED BETTER than Jonson Clarke Harris rather than make do and mend like we always ******* do under this Owner's tenure.

7 minutes ago, Hello Dave said:

Definitely. Our main striker is Nakhi Wells, who scored & had one disallowed in his last game. 

Proven consistent goal scorer at this level, 160 career goals in total, excellent availability record.

Next question.

Edited by GrahamC
  • Like 5

1 minute ago, Selred said:

For the division. It’s all relative. 

All those millions, how much did we make on Fammy, Kalas, Dasilva? 

To get the best forward in the Championship you are talking at least £15m transfer fee and £40K per week wages. MINIMUM. Is that honestly what you are expecting from the club? When your ambitious mates up the road finally make it to the Championship they will not know what has hit them......................

• Flames 2

1 hour ago, formerly known as ivan said:

What you fail to recognise was at no point did I say we should pay the equivalent of what rovers were prepared to pay for a proven goal scorer. I was merely stating the fact that people were mocking rovers for trying to sign JCH which showed more ambition from them than our owners have showed. No where did I say we should be signing anyone for £15m! Christ, a loan deal for a striker would have been something! But no, SL doesn’t want to spend money on the football club.

All that seems fair enough to me, a fantastic signing if it would of happened, my only surprise is that one of the big-hitters in that division didn’t come in for him like Pompey or Derby in particular who are desperate for a striker 

3 minutes ago, petehinton said:

Let’s see who they + Barton blame…

The FA

Peterborough

MacAnthony

EFL

His agent 

taxi driver not driving fast enough

the bloke who knocked out the sprinklers last week 

green party

themselves for leaving it too late 

Could be the Bristol Post for being “unnecessarily negative” about them?

Bet his wife double locked the door when she found out, too.

• Like 2

Let's be honest here, Clarke-Harris would have been a fantastic signing for Rovers, with a stunning record of 57 league goals in 81 games in his last 2 L1 seasons.

His record at that level shows that 20+ goals from him this season was all but guaranteed, and even at Championship level in 21/22 he scored 12 league goals, (more than our top League scorer last season) and that was for a struggling club.

They were looking disconcertingly well set for a genuine promotion push if this deal had gone through, so not only hilarious but really good news they managed to cock it up, 

• Like 1
  • Flames 1
  • Robin 1

13 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Definitely. Our main striker is Nakhi Wells, who scored & had one disallowed in his last game. 

Proven consistent goal scorer at this level, 160 career goals in total, excellent availability record.

Next question.

I would argue that 30 goals in nearly 150 games for us is not being “ proven at this level” when you consider what we paid for him (at 29) he’s been a poor buy

17 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

That's not a reason to spend £800K on a player who then has no re-sale value is it? I understand the logic of The Few - he is likely to bang in 20 goals, get them to the play-offs and if they did go up worry about the issues that come with JCH at that point. Still a high risk strategy but a far lower risk one than us signing him particularly when the fact of the matter is we NEED BETTER than Jonson Clarke Harris rather than make do and mend like we always ******* do under this Owner's tenure.

But, with our new wage structure, are we gonna get better than him?

Woken up to this news this morning and it's bought a smile to my face.

A long standing gas ST colleague told me all about the 800k +add ons deal for JCH over a week ago, so I can only presume the whole delay was over JCH's terms.

Whatever is the reason, it's another example (alongside the whole summer stand fiasco) of the complete amateur set up they have running there. 

Why you couldn't arrange negotiations/medical to take place in Portsmouth is beyond me.

But no, they rely on him having to getva taxi from Portsmouth to their training ground. Just pay the money for it to be done privately elsewhere, tinpot doesn't do justice to it all.

Oh, and as for Wael to be face timing Dmac all the time, that once again smacks of a guy who just doesn't have a clue how these things work.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TV Tom said:

I would argue that 30 goals in nearly 150 games for us is not being “ proven at this level” when you consider what we paid for him (at 29) he’s been a poor buy

How many of those were starts? 90 odd.

No one is arguing here about the fee, but he’s a better striker than Clarke-Harris (which was the exam question) & his record at QPR, Huddersfield at our level shows that he’s proven.

If TC was fit would he be starting? Completely different question.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

To get the best forward in the Championship you are talking at least £15m transfer fee and £40K per week wages. MINIMUM. Is that honestly what you are expecting from the club? When your ambitious mates up the road finally make it to the Championship they will not know what has hit them......................

I think there’s 3 things in play. 
1) Rovers attempt, failure, whatever you want to call it was ambitious. And nothing to really laugh at, well until it fell through which was hilarious. 
2) We are in a different league in many ways, but we’ve not shown ambition similar since Kalas (revising my previous comment with Freeman)

3) We have £26 million in fees received since we’ve last signed a player permanently, it’s embarrassing we’ve not signed anyone to replace Scott and are in a worse state transfer wise than Rovers. They are aiming for play offs in their league, we are aiming to stay up in ours, there’s the difference in ambition. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1