IGNORED

Bristol R*vers dustbin thread

42nite

https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/darragh-macanthony-lifts-lid-collapse-8733300#google_vignette

This really does make me think they genuinely couldn’t afford him and had no intention of signing him, just wanted to show the ambition. There’s just no other explanation for something being that shambolic. Surely?

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, petehinton said:

https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/darragh-macanthony-lifts-lid-collapse-8733300#google_vignette

This really does make me think they genuinely couldn’t afford him and had no intention of signing him, just wanted to show the ambition. There’s just no other explanation for something being that shambolic. Surely?

“However, the relevant paperwork wasn't submitted to the EFL in time, with Rovers missing out by seconds on securing what would have been a ground-shaking deal for a two-time League One golden boot winner while also smashing their previous record transfer fee of £370,000 paid to QPR for Andy Tillson in 1992.”

“Ground-shaking”? My arse. 

32 years and counting since they bought Tillson. He’s now 57 years old so probably younger than most of their back four. They’re coming for us, remember!

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Rudolf Hucker said:

“However, the relevant paperwork wasn't submitted to the EFL in time, with Rovers missing out by seconds on securing what would have been a ground-shaking deal for a two-time League One golden boot winner while also smashing their previous record transfer fee of £370,000 paid to QPR for Andy Tillson in 1992.”

32 years and counting since they bought Tillson. He’s now 57 years old so probably younger than most of their back four. They’re coming for us, remember!

I notice that Wael of Fortune had to get approval from the "new owners", so we know he's little more than a man with a nice watch now.

• Like 3

Just now, Port Said Red said:

I notice that Wael of Fortune had to get approval from the "new owners", so we know he's little more than a man with a nice watch now.

Does anyone know if the watch is genuine or a fake? Perhaps it’s just an outer case with no inner parts. 

Out of curiosity I have used an online inflation calculator to work out the value of something from 1992 in today's money.

£370k in 1992 would work out at £773k today, so in adjusted value, signing a player for £800k would not really shatter any records or shake any grounds (assuming they intended to go ahead with the deal).

The calculator works from CPI, not that footballers can be considered as household items! More luxury goods perhaps.

Wow that is now 150 pages on a player we didn't sign. 202 pages on a stand we haven't built and 708 on a stadium that doesn't exist. Certainly exceled (sic) our selves (sic) and don't do things buy (sic) halves ( except for the half built south stand) .... BUT as consolation, there are 3,346 pages on OTIB to highlight all their fc uk ups!

Edited by SirColinOfMansfield
  • Like 1
  • Haha 6

1 hour ago, Rudolf Hucker said:

Didn't I read that they missed out by seconds, but didn't apply for the extra 15 minutes that would have enabled them to complete the paperwork ?

If that is true, it's almost like they didn't want to spend the money.........

or didn't actually have it....  :whistle2:

• Like 3

54 minutes ago, SirColinOfMansfield said:

Wow that is now 150 pages on a player we didn't sign. 202 pages on a stand we haven't built and 708 on a stadium that doesn't exist. Certainly exceled (sic) our selves (sic) and don't do things buy (sic) halves ( except for the half built south stand) .... BUT as consolation, there are 3,346 pages on OTIB to highlight all their fc uk ups!

Life is beautiful Sir Col, even when you don't realise it!  Truly, the gASS are a beautiful thing.... to laugh at and who provide - consistently, unwaveringly - an endless supply of face palm belly laughs.

Long may it continue (it won't forever, so let's pile on while it lasts).

Edited by Merrick's Marvels

1 hour ago, TomF said:

I’ve thought this since the day after the window closed.  Blame everyone else but deep down they never had the  2.16 Tilsons to complete the deal 

38 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

Didn't I read that they missed out by seconds, but didn't apply for the extra 15 minutes that would have enabled them to complete the paperwork ?

I think that is the bottom line.

Didn't have the gonads to go through with it.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Homer Simpson said:

This made me laugh.

wertongas
Fans' Favourite

Posting Level

Next Level in 139 posts
3 hours ago RD, seanclevedongas, and 7 more like this
Post Options

Post by wertongas on 3 hours ago

Wow that is now 150 pages on a player we didn't sign. 202 pages on a stand we haven't built and 708 on a stadium that doesn't exist. Certainly exceled our selves and don't do things buy halves ( except for the half built south stand).

There are occasional moments on there where you can laugh with them and not at them!

The day after the transfer deadline farce, when they put that old tent back up for away fans, someone remarked "who says we can't make a marquee signing"!

On 06/09/2023 at 15:52, bert tann said:

Bert Tann Secretary.jpg

Bloody hell, Bert. There I was - at work! - scrolling through this thread when the boss looks over me shoulder and says - "Misuse of company IT! You're fired!". Cheers then. 

I'm now at the Labour Exchange seeking new employ.  I've already offered to exchange one Harold Wislon for two George Browns and a Roy Jenkins but no dice! 

Anyhoo - George Brown, you say? Ah yes, the notorious, pie-eyed drunkard who once propositioned a dark eyed, long skirted beauty at a party and got the reply:

"How very dare you, sir, I'm the Archbishop of Montevideo!"

True story.

Anyhoo again, any chance you've got more of this top quality "niche" material? Perhaps we could take to a sub-forum!

"In olden days a glimpse of stocking, Was looking on as something shocking, But now god knows, Anything goes" as Cole Skuse once wrote. 

Edited by Merrick's Marvels
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, 1960maaan said:

or found the wonga loan line was dead 

12 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

I would like guess that it was more of a gesture of intent rather than a sign of intent from the new owners.

Faced with having to part with cash they went missing.

If it happens again, they'll struggle to do business with any other clubs.

I've said this further back. Try to make out the new guy has money to get the fans onside another fake sheikh 

• Like 3

• Admin
12 hours ago, Bristol Rob said:

Strong money on someone who has no resale value.... not really anything but a gesture.

The Fewers will understand eventually.

That is the most amusing thing about all this, they will never understand it, and ultimately as usual it will be someone elses fault

16 hours ago, Homer Simpson said:

This made me laugh.

wertongas
Fans' Favourite

Posting Level

Next Level in 139 posts
3 hours ago RD, seanclevedongas, and 7 more like this
Post Options

Post by wertongas on 3 hours ago

Wow that is now 150 pages on a player we didn't sign. 202 pages on a stand we haven't built and 708 on a stadium that doesn't exist. Certainly exceled our selves and don't do things buy halves ( except for the half built south stand).

One of the funniest posts i've seen. Fair play!

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

They've probably been banned now and told to Eff Off to Trashton.

I am not so sure, there are a few rumblings from those who might just had a peek at the emperors clothes and spotted they aren't all they are cracked up to be. They are being shouted down by the zealots of course, but not as vociferously as once might have been the case.

10 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

I am not so sure, there are a few rumblings from those who might just had a peek at the emperors clothes and spotted they aren't all they are cracked up to be. They are being shouted down by the zealots of course, but not as vociferously as once might have been the case.

Zealots is a good observation. The management of their club seems to be divisive, marmite.

Usually the truth is somewhere in the middle but the polarising effect is strong these days for them.

We get a bit of that on OTIB but there seems to be more of a consensus and I think that stems from an understanding of the eye watering finances of football rather than a blind desperation to overtake your nearest rivals. May be wrong, but that is how I see it.

Of course, it all depends so much on the most recent result which was a good one! 

On 07/09/2023 at 17:57, petehinton said:

If I was a betting man then I would put my money on this being exactly what they did with their track record.

Miss the deadline, make out that they tried to seal the deal, but in reality they had no intention of actually going through with it.

They know that ‘these things take time’ and whatever line they feed the gullible Sags they know that they will lap it up, worship Wally and blame every other *** in sight.

Some of their fans have woken up to the shit show, but they are shouted down by the neanderthal goons who say they’re not ‘faithful and true’ enough, give it the old ‘Up da Gas’ line and point out how Wally is the messiah who saved them and if that doesn’t work they call them out as ‘Ted’s’ and get the forum to issue a ban.

• Like 4
  • Flames 1

• Admin
On 07/09/2023 at 17:57, petehinton said:

If we were talking about any other circus act in the world I'd agree with you, but we're talking about a special breed of idiot here 

• Like 1